Which Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Computeruser said, "The 4-way is a must, in my opinion."
------------
May I ask a simple question? How do you split a 32" diameter (or larger) log billet with a 4-way wedge? I have a few of those.
Just curious.

You remove the 4way for rounds that big, the 4way shines brightest with rounds that are just right when quartered. or for reducing rounds that should be split in 6ths. It's a timesaver when used in the proper situation, and that is defined by the individual operator.

Thanks for all of the replies. Swamp yankee you are not the guy that got the deal on the timberwolf on CL are you(maybe last november or so). If so good for you, you beat me to the deal...

I went to tractor supply figuring I would pick up the lesser unit and maybe get a new saw down the line. There were 3 out front for sale, but no 22 ton so I went into the storage corral. There were 5..... All marked defective.

I now own a TW-P1 with the 4 way wedge. I can not be happier with it. The machine is great. Even better the guy at the shop was a really great guy, so I am glad my money is staying local. He even had two more for the same deal when I left.

Now all I have to do is get a log lift sometime in the future, but at this point I do not need it. I will however be fabricating a table in the near future.

Thanks for the welcome as well.
Stephen

Yup,

That was me.

As to splitting with the 4-way, it takes all of 3 seconds to either slip it on or slip it off. You learn quickly whether to use it or not. The T'Wolf design is great as it allows you position the wedge at different heights.

Being a feeble old cranky sob, the fastest way I've found to handle big rounds is to halve or quarter with the 7900 and push 'em through the 4-way. Don't have a log lift, and work alone most of the time so it's much easier to do it that way.

Take Care

$2,000 for an American 25hh with all the options is a Killer deal.

please post pics'''

I was out cruising around after I made a bank deposit today. I spotted a log splitter on the side of the road with a log lift. I wasn't really looking for one but did a u turn and headed back. It was an American 25hh with all the stickers in place in very nice shape with the 4 way slip on wedge and backer, log lift, tables, extended hitch, and 8HP Honda motor. I took it home after I gave him the $2000 he wanted. I tried talking him down $200, but he wouldn't budge as I figured he wouldn't. This area is where they Used to make them (Black River, NY), I didn't realize they moved the manufacturing to Rochester, NY. The gentleman selling it was part of manufacturing there, (also the one that told me he lost his job due to the relocation), and could tell me anything I wanted to know about it. I got it home and put the 4 way on to tackle some 22" Beech I had that was cut in January. It wouldn't go through and stopped it dead in its tracks. I wacked it back off with a sledge, took off the 4 way and it split fine with the single wedge. It sure did grunt, but it got it done as well as the fresh 20" elm I just cut last week. Is it asking too much for the Beech with the 4 way? I know the elm would be out of the question with the 4 way as it challenges it right to the end and honestly the beech did too with the single. Are all you guys splitting maple, ash and straighter grained woods and such with your 4 ways? I did get through a chunk of maple with no problem with the 4 way. I must say I probably will not have much use for the 4 way as I have a boiler and don't require them quartered usually, but I wanted to try it and see. I now will have a Split-Fire 3 point hitch for sale now as this by far out performs it, although it did me fine the year I have had it and the minimal 3-4 full cord I had split with it. Any advice?

I was out cruising around after I made a bank deposit today. I spotted a log splitter on the side of the road with a log lift. I wasn't really looking for one but did a u turn and headed back. It was an American 25hh with all the stickers in place in very nice shape with the 4 way slip on wedge and backer, log lift, tables, extended hitch, and 8HP Honda motor. I took it home after I gave him the $2000 he wanted. I tried talking him down $200, but he wouldn't budge as I figured he wouldn't. This area is where they Used to make them (Black River, NY), I didn't realize they moved the manufacturing to Rochester, NY. The gentleman selling it was part of manufacturing there, (also the one that told me he lost his job due to the relocation), and could tell me anything I wanted to know about it. I got it home and put the 4 way on to tackle some 22" Beech I had that was cut in January. It wouldn't go through and stopped it dead in its tracks. I wacked it back off with a sledge, took off the 4 way and it split fine with the single wedge. It sure did grunt, but it got it done as well as the fresh 20" elm I just cut last week. Is it asking too much for the Beech with the 4 way? I know the elm would be out of the question with the 4 way as it challenges it right to the end and honestly the beech did too with the single. Are all you guys splitting maple, ash and straighter grained woods and such with your 4 ways? I did get through a chunk of maple with no problem with the 4 way. I must say I probably will not have much use for the 4 way as I have a boiler and don't require them quartered usually, but I wanted to try it and see. I now will have a Split-Fire 3 point hitch for sale now as this by far out performs it, although it did me fine the year I have had it and the minimal 3-4 full cord I had split with it. Any advice?

you just picked up that splitter for 1400 less than retail.. you stole it if you got it with log liftm tables, extended hitch and 4 way. Just the splitter without the log lift here is 2700 with the rest of those goodies. The log lift added here is another 700... would have cost you 3400 for that splitter here.

kudos on getting a real bargain on a very good quality splitter, you will not go wrong with that one.

Here is the splitter. I should have known pics would be requested.:) It was cleaner when I picked it up.......but you know the drill, I had to try it the minute I got home!!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

The 3rd pic below is the elm I ran through.....fights right to the end!!:chainsaw:

attachment.php

Last edited:
sweet.. Reps to you for a great score on a really nice splitter. :clap:

I wish mine had the log lift.. I may add it at some point, would be nice to have.

sweet.. Reps to you for a great score on a really nice splitter. :clap:

I wish mine had the log lift.. I may add it at some point, would be nice to have.

That log lift is an absolute back saver. The 20"+ diameter wood at 24" gets heavy after a while. My back sure will feel better after a good day of splitting. Thanks for the rep!!:clap:

Troy Bilt and Cub Cadet are ***MTD***. blech. run.

Yep. Those used to be good names, but no more.

Can't complain about my 35 ton Speeco/Huskee. Splits the biggest oak I can throw at it, and only bends the toe plate once in a while on a big gnarly, OLD dry crotch piece. (That stuff was like iron!) :dizzy:

People who say their splitter has never been stopped just haven't split any genuinely tough wood. :D

Welcome aboard!
This big Brave just makes it inside your budget. Shipping included in price:
http://www.braveproducts.com/itemdetailpage.php?itemid=10016&offset=0&mode=category&categoryid=103&parentid=&searchtext=
I'm not sure you need a 4-way wedge. That's somewhat of a luxury and sometimes gets in the way.
22tonHoriz.jpg

Is the Brave splitter made by the same people that make the Harbor Freight splitters? With the exception of the end plate, they look extremely similar.

wow... fully loaded too... you snagged a good one
let's just say, you will not have any problems getting rid of it for $2k .. if you get tired of it.

Here is the splitter. I should have known pics would be requested.:) It was cleaner when I picked it up.......but you know the drill, I had to try it the minute I got home!!!
attachment.php

Is the Brave splitter made by the same people that make the Harbor Freight splitters? With the exception of the end plate, they look extremely similar.

I don't think so. My understanding is that Brave is still manufactured at the same plant as Iron & Oak (USA).

22tonHoriz.jpg

Chinese companies love to steal...er, um...reverse engineer quality products from other countries and then use the same paint color for cheap marketing. Here's the HF splitter:

91839.gif

Last edited:
I got back from a local dealer's open house yesterday with a TW-P1 taggin along behind my truck. Got it for $2500 even, including 4-way and table grate. I pulled in the driveway at 5:30 pm and by 7 pm I had split a cord of really ugly wood - 30" sugar maple rounds, some knotty red pine, hop hornbeam and some black locust. It went through it all, and at about half throttle. I only had to back off and restart once, on a really gnarly maple round.

I don't think so. My understanding is that Brave is still manufactured at the same plant as Iron & Oak (USA).

22tonHoriz.jpg

Chinese companies love to steal...er, um...reverse engineer quality products from other countries and then use the same paint color for cheap marketing. Here's the HF splitter:

91839.gif

Splitter.jpg

That is the exact splitter I bought from Harbor Freight, with the brand name "Central Hydraulics" a HF re-name. Mine is a 22 ton, with 6.5 Briggs&Stratton IC motor and Halex pump. I only paid $450 because it was "damaged" (they dropped a pallet on it bending the muffler cover, a 5 minute ball peen hammer fix) I have put about 5 cords thru it so far, works great. The vertical is the way to go IMO, because I can put rounds up to 36" or more under it and work from the outside in to split them-that and I dont have to lift rounds just scoot them under the wedge. It has never stalled or failed to split anything I have tried including oak and eucalytus. They retail here for $1049 at the store. Only buy one that has a Honda, Subaru, or B&S motor, not a chi-com motor.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=splitter

Last edited:
Yep. Those used to be good names, but no more.

Can't complain about my 35 ton Speeco/Huskee. Splits the biggest oak I can throw at it, and only bends the toe plate once in a while on a big gnarly, OLD dry crotch piece. (That stuff was like iron!) :dizzy:

People who say their splitter has never been stopped just haven't split any genuinely tough wood. :D

Just curious why these are no longer good. I've had a 27 ton Troybilt for three years and split around 60 cords a year with it. Only problem I've had is that I had to replace the control valve. Got a new one for $70 that seems better than the original - not from MTD though. They wanted $215 for the orginal that broke to begin with...

I got back from a local dealer's open house yesterday with a TW-P1 taggin along behind my truck. Got it for $2500 even, including 4-way and table grate. I pulled in the driveway at 5:30 pm and by 7 pm I had split a cord of really ugly wood - 30" sugar maple rounds, some knotty red pine, hop hornbeam and some black locust. It went through it all, and at about half throttle. I only had to back off and restart once, on a really gnarly maple round.

That's the same package I want, except the closest dealer to me quoted a lot higher than that.

The breakdown on quote I got is:

TW-P1 = $2,195
4-Way wedge = $195
table grate = $ 545

Total = $2,935

Over $400 more than what you paid, guess I will have to try some other dealers.

You have got to try some other dealers, there are deals out there. I called about 6 different places, and found a great deal.

My TW-P1 with 4 way wedge and tax was $2000 out the door.
I already built my own table grate that attaches the same way as the factory one.

Stephen

I'd have preferred to build my own table grate, but my welding skills are non-existent and I really don't have time anyway. So it was worth the extra cost. The dealer is a sponsor here anyway, so I didn't feel bad about spending the money. They do have a manual log lift which works pretty slick, but I couldn't justify that when I can pick up the big rounds with my tractor bucket.

Is that the 8 second cycle time splitter and will it bust big gnarly pieces? I was looking into one and curios if it does everything you expect for the extra price.

Back