Which used STIHL to get??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhelmich

Reaction score
I am looking to get a used Stihl, and I am trying to decide between the listed models. The saw will be used to cutt 5-6 cord of wood a year (live in Idaho, so large trees) and random use around house/property and in truck for roadway emergencies.

036 Pro
ms361
ms441
I know these are just the older and newer model of same saw but still different. Also looking at ms390, this is the mid-range use type saw but is in between the 361 and 441 for power and weight. But what is the real diff. between the mid-range and pro saws??

Any input will be considered.

Are these all for sale locally? Or is this just a hypothetical?

I would think that price and condition would come into play. A lot of the time when you're on CL, you're going to just go for whatever's a better deal.

If I had to choose between a 360 in excellent condition for $250 and a 361 in excellent condition for $450 I'd probably go for the 360...

Otherwise, you should consider whether a 60cc or a 70cc saw will be a better fit.

Also, do a search for the difference in pro-saws vs. stihl's mid range saws. It has a lot to do with the materials and quality of construction, as well as the ease of service (particularly in replacing or accessing pistons, cylinders, etc.)

Hypothetically.. Looking online and locally. Price and condition would definately have an influence.
So for comparison, just overall saw build/operation/performance..

Everyone loves the 361 here-- "it cures cancer"

The 044 is a legend--proven and dependable

the 441 is up for debate--there's even a thread from the last few days with some heated arguments. (it has new technology--a strato engine--for better emissions)

the 390 and that whole family receives a lot of hate. They're pretty heavy, have the lesser quality construction, and in the case of buying new, a 390 costs nearly as much as a 361 which is without question, a much better saw.

Everyone loves the 361 here-- "it cures cancer"

The 044 is a legend--proven and dependable

the 441 is up for debate--there's even a thread from the last few days with some heated arguments. (it has new technology--a strato engine--for better emissions)

the 390 and that whole family receives a lot of hate. They're pretty heavy, have the lesser quality construction, and in the case of buying new, a 390 costs nearly as much as a 361 which is without question, a much better saw.

Where I live, the 361 is at least 200.00 more than the 390, which was not on the OP's list, anyway..........

I am looking to get a used Stihl, and I am trying to decide between the listed models. The saw will be used to cutt 5-6 cord of wood a year (live in Idaho, so large trees) and random use around house/property and in truck for roadway emergencies.

036 Pro
ms361
ms441
I know these are just the older and newer model of same saw but still different. Also looking at ms390, this is the mid-range use type saw but is in between the 361 and 441 for power and weight. But what is the real diff. between the mid-range and pro saws??

Any input will be considered.

All of those saws would be good. Personally, the 044 would be the saw that I'd pick. But be aware, that EVERYONE is looking for used Stihl saws. So if you see a good deal...jump...and I mean jump NOW! They don't last more than a day...at best.

Last edited:
The only two I have experience with ar ethe 044 and the MS441- I REALLY want to find a minty 044 to replace the one I let get away. That saw did 90% of my cutting.

2Door

To the OP:
A used 044 is hard to find, good ones even harder. I finally found one and am not getting into the brand wars, but I predict if you do buy a good 044 it will be the one saw you never trade off.

RavensRoost

So the concensus I am getting so far is to drop the 441 and the 390 from the list.
So looking at.
036 pro, 361, 044, 440
all good saws, just what I can find for deals and the shape of the saw..

There may be a few other models that you should consider if you find the right deal. For example, a 460 for the right price is also hard to pass up.

Latest posts

Back