Whites boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Has anyone used whites smoke jumper boots wearing them on concrete all day? I'm trying to find a better boot than the red wings that I buy two pair a year.

Sure have. I have owned Whites since the mid 80s, Wescos before that. They are pretty muchly the only boots I can wear all day long. I need the arch support for my bum knee. They took some getting used to so keep your old boots around the first week or two.

Still if I were you I would want some cushion on concrete.

have owned a pair for two years now, no problems. still have the original leather laces too. I wear them when i work in the woods, hiking miles at a time carrying my line gear and chainsaws and such to fires and project sites. They took a little while to break in but once they did, i wouldn't go with any other boot. Just make sure to grease them as often as you can to keep the leather from drying out.

I usually work 10-13 hour days on concrete or steel grating so my feet take a beating. At some plants we walk 5-6 miles a day going to and from the meeting area to work and breaks. I like slip ons as we have to go through metal detectors and change clothes at work a lot. I'm willing to give a pair of lace ups a try for more comfort.

Whites are good boots but I've never worn them on anything but unpaved surfaces.

I'd think they might be a little unforgiving on pavement or any other hard surface....not much of a cushion.

Try Doc Martins. I buy mine used/blemish on fleabay for about 30 bucks. You can get steel toe or anything you need. They are very comfortable and well built.

Tried some doc martins as did a friend of mine. His lasted 4 months and mine 1 month before I couldn't stand them. Same way with wolverine. I've heard good things about whites. I just don't know how they'll do on concrete. Most of you guys use them with corks on dirt. Most people around me have never heard of them. There's a shop that carries them close to where I'm going in 2 weeks to work.

They're sturdy and a lot of the loggers swear by them. Maybe you could put some kind of cushioned insole inside?

I spent two weeks working and walking on a concrete floor in our shop last year. My good old super comfortable well broke in Wesco Firestormers that had never hurt my feet just damn near crippled me. Walking on hard surfaces is a different ball game.

I've tried rocky, wolverine, ariat, georgia boot, justin, chippewa, and red wings. The red wings are the only ones that hold up decent and don't hurt my feet. I was just hoping to find something that will last a little better and be comfortable.

I've not seen Nicks. I did look at Hoffmans online. I need to search for a dealer close to here. There is one place local that carries Danner. I might check some of them out.

Might try calling Whites. They are knowledgeable and can doing darn near anything to their boots. Tell em what your looking for (or not) and see what they have to say. They've done well for me.

The Whites I had were fine for in the woods. I had a problem when tromping down a hard trail. I'd get shin splints. But only after walking on official type hiking trails or on roads.

I wore what they call the smokejumper style. A coworker claims that that model is made special so a smoke jumper does not blow out their achiles tendon during their landing. He claims it is not made for walking on trails and roads--hence the shin splints.

You probably won't have to worry about getting wet feet.

yea i dont kno if you will do much better than red wings. i have 5 pairs of #998 red wings that i have worn out. i used to build barbwire fence and thats generally in terrain just like logging and they worked great and in the last year i have been working in the shop and they work pretty good their too. but still after 8 hours im done. the soles dont have a real agressive tread pattern so that they dont track mud but they just flat grab anything. i have never worn another shoe with more traction. people look at me funny when i show up to the gym with a pair of boots on but i cant stand tennis shoes anymore. oh and on the danners i have found them to be the most overpriced pos'es i have ever worn. the soles are so slick it feels like they are made out of plastic. ill never buy another pair of those.

I've tried rocky, wolverine, ariat, georgia boot, justin, chippewa, and red wings. The red wings are the only ones that hold up decent and don't hurt my feet. I was just hoping to find something that will last a little better and be comfortable.

Have you tried the Red Wings with the super sole's? I buy the Red Wing Model 608's, at the rate of a pair a year. The 608's have the squishy sole, and are real nice on concrete, but dont hold up long. A Co-worker bought the super sole version on them, and they lasted him 4 years on concrete, and still werent worn out. Not much traction with the super sole though...

Just a thought but what about Hoffman Pacs? Maybe too hot but mine are real cushiony. Might not work but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Danners

Any of the USA made Danners are great boots. I bought my first pair when I was 16 and still have them. I work 8-12 hours a day on anything from gravel to concrete to mud, I'll never buy another brand. Just make sure they say made in USA.

American made Danner's are a great boot. I still have the Ft.Lewis "go devil" boots i bought when on active duty in the very early 80's they are still in good shape.

If you can get by with a hiker height you'll think I'm nuts but I've worn the ECCO Dhaka mid gtx boots made from Yak hide.
Mine are about four or five years old, I wear them daily, they look like hell, but wouldn't trade them for anything else.
Yak hide is three to four times more wear resistant than the best cowhide. ECCO is known to be one of the very top shoe makers as far as comfort and support are concerned in the world. They are pricey about 220.00 bucks, but they are waterproof, great soles and absolutely the most comfortable boot I've worn. They change styles about once a year, but it is mostly cosmetic changes.
They've outworn about anything I've ever had, I just oil the yak hide about twice a year. I wish more companies used yak, but supposedly it's more expensive than cowhide.

M- They're super sweet and beautiful boots but with that much concrete time I think you'd end up disappointed. I've mostly gone with wescos, I've surely walked 2-3 miles in them on asphalt but I don't think it would be great choice for day in and day out- calling White's is probably a good idea.

What about a nice high end hiking/light mountaineering boot?

I'm willing to try anything for a little more wear and comfort. The red wings I have are 1105. The sole lasts about a year or so. I've tried a couple others but can't remember the numbers now. I'll give whites a call today and see if they have anything they recommend for working on hard surfaces.

Latest posts

Back