Whites boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda. How boots look isn't important. Your Kuliens were beautiful when you brought them home, no? Now they show every mile you've put on them but they're still great boots. Crocs are a fashion statement, not boots.

The same with clothes. I don't care how I look. Those heavy cloth hickory shirts that I bought at Sunbirds are wearing like iron. They have indelible grease stains, the fronts are a permanent darker color than the rest of the shirt, there's a few rips and tears and one of them has part of a sleeve gone, I tore out a zipper on another one when the spikes on my saw caught it, and I burned part of the collar off another one when my cigarette set a pitch glob on fire but they suit me just fine.

Besides, you've seen what I wear to work...they ain't pretty but they get the job done. Sort of like their owner. :msp_wink:

yup, not a drugstore logger.:laugh:

Crocs are a fashion statement, not boots.

... but they suit me just fine.

"Stuff That Works" That is good music. Its a song about your hickory shirt.

Re Crocs. I did a 70 mile backpacking trip last summer and changed into my camo Crocs each and every night in camp. It was not about fashion it was about hot and sweaty feet. Though I must admit I did look good.

Last edited:
Red wing/ danners

I'm willing to try anything for a little more wear and comfort. The red wings I have are 1105. The sole lasts about a year or so. I've tried a couple others but can't remember the numbers now. I'll give whites a call today and see if they have anything they recommend for working on hard surfaces.
I used to own a shoe repair shop/redwing dealership and also sold Danners. Whites and Wescos are prbably the most well built boots I ever worked on, however I'd heed the advice of others in this thread in regards to walking on concrete, not much cushion in these. The 1105 Red Wings you are wearing have the original supersole which is comfortable but is a soft urethane sole. The boots that I saw hold up the best and still had some comfort were the Rew Wing 998's(I think those are the numbers if they still make them) They are the ones with the double toes(extra leather cap on the toes) These boots have the thickest leather that Red Wing puts in its boots. They also have the comfort insoles( a medium density urethane insole) and the soles a a Vibram sole that uses a softer rubber and is reinforced with kevlar strands. As far as selling and repairs go, these boots held up the best of any pair I ever dealt with with Red Wings. I don't know if you ever had your boots repaired or what wore out on your 1105's but I have been able to fully resole these boots 3 ro 4 times in some cases. The advantage of resoling(if you can find a good repair shop) is you get fresh soles and the boots are still broken in to your feet. If you dont have a repair shop near you you can send your boots in to redwing and they'll rebuild them. I also sold Danners and some other guys have mentioned as long as they say USA made on them they are good boots as well. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I used to own a shoe repair shop/redwing dealership and also sold Danners. Whites and Wescos are prbably the most well built boots I ever worked on, however I'd heed the advice of others in this thread in regards to walking on concrete, not much cushion in these. The 1105 Red Wings you are wearing have the original supersole which is comfortable but is a soft urethane sole. The boots that I saw hold up the best and still had some comfort were the Rew Wing 998's(I think those are the numbers if they still make them) They are the ones with the double toes(extra leather cap on the toes) These boots have the thickest leather that Red Wing puts in its boots. They also have the comfort insoles( a medium density urethane insole) and the soles a a Vibram sole that uses a softer rubber and is reinforced with kevlar strands. As far as selling and repairs go, these boots held up the best of any pair I ever dealt with with Red Wings. I don't know if you ever had your boots repaired or what wore out on your 1105's but I have been able to fully resole these boots 3 ro 4 times in some cases. The advantage of resoling(if you can find a good repair shop) is you get fresh soles and the boots are still broken in to your feet. If you dont have a repair shop near you you can send your boots in to redwing and they'll rebuild them. I also sold Danners and some other guys have mentioned as long as they say USA made on them they are good boots as well. Hope that helps.

That's good information. Finding a decent boot repair shop locally is a problem. There used to be four in our area. Now we're down to one and he'll probably retire this year. Nobody seems interested in carrying it on.

Kinda. How boots look isn't important. Your Kuliens were beautiful when you brought them home, no? Now they show every mile you've put on them but they're still great boots. Crocs are a fashion statement, not boots.

Don't knock crocs till you've tried them. Pull off your calks and slip into Crocs.. Ahhhhhh. They are puffy marshmellows on your feet compared to the heavy apres' logging Romeos.

If I do any backpacking (the If is because of snow levels) I can throw a pair of Crocs in because they are so lightweight. Wish I'd had a pair of them for the Grand Canyon slog.

I am suddenly envisioning a crummyfull of guys getting out with different colors of Crocs on.

I am suddenly envisioning a crummyfull of guys getting out with different colors of Crocs on.

Uh huh. And then skipping off through the brush, hand in hand, singing little logging songs.

Okay, I know 2dogs and Burvol wear Crocs...I'll make an exception in their case.

But...most grown men wearing plastic slippers probably talk in a high lisping voice, have earrings in both ears, get a manicure every week, a pedicure every other week, eat strictly organic food, spend a lot of time in fern bars, drive a Prius, and vote the straight Democatic ticket. :wink2:

Sneakers...plain old WalMart 12 dollar sneakers. Preferably the same color as the dirt on the floorboards of the crummy. Cut the velcro staps off, throw the tongue away...instant poor man's romeos.

Have you seen the price on romeos lately? :dizzy:

Uh huh. And then skipping off through the brush, hand in hand, singing little logging songs.

Okay, I know 2dogs and Burvol wear Crocs...I'll make an exception in their case.

But...most grown men wearing plastic slippers probably talk in a high lisping voice, have earrings in both ears, get a manicure every week, a pedicure every other week, eat strictly organic food, spend a lot of time in fern bars, drive a Prius, and vote the straight Democatic ticket. :wink2:

Sneakers...plain old WalMart 12 dollar sneakers. Preferably the same color as the dirt on the floorboards of the crummy. Cut the velcro staps off, throw the tongue away...instant poor man's romeos.

yes, i was lookin to get a fresh pair, but damn you could almost buy some boots for that? lookin at other options.

The pink Romeos are constantly on sale at Sunbirds. The non pink ones are frequently on sale. I'll go with the crocs.

Back