Whites boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to order the vibergs this week. I might get them shipped to where I'm working so I don't have to wait a month to wear them.

Probably just direct. There's a number on their website for them.

IN that case I'd say you're looking more at fit than brand choice, all quality.

Of course, when i went to cut for these new guys, the faller (now gone) tried to start some pro Husky anti stihl battle with me, when I didn't play along I think it broke his heart, which is to say, brand loyalty doesn't hold too much ground with me.

I tried to keep this in the back of my mind when I went to go put my feet in a couple different boots. (Whites, Wescos, Nicks and Vibergs)

In the end I found the Nicks fit my the best by far, so that is what I ended up with. Had to hold my breath while the credit card machine was working, but I am going to be happily living in these boots for a good while. Gonna start breaking em in tomorrow...

Around here Wescos have always been considered a cheap shoe and I don't mean in the inexpensive manner. The leather is no good. They leak two days before rain and stretch out of shape when wet. My last pair were Wesco and they are worse then ever. I don't know what I was thinking about buying them. I knew better.

This all goes back to 2dogs post about leather.
According to Kuliens you can't get good leather in the USA and haven't been able to get it in the USA for 40 years. Chrome tanned leather is not produced in the USA because of the pollution laws. I think he said he gets his from Eastern Europe, old Soviet block.
Any domestically produced leather is oil tanned.
I can't imagine how custom fit Wescos would be any advantage. They'll change shape after a few soakings.
I'll have to say that Kuliens doesn't skimp on the quality of their leather. They don't skimp on their price either but they're plenty worth it. As far as leaking goes, they are by far the best. Even the thread they use is extraordinary. And, if you have them made for your feet they fit like a glove from the first time you wear them. The most expensive leather they use is in the soles to hold the calks in the leather. If you go in the shop John will show you the difference in the leathers he uses. Absolutely top quality even though the price is Trump worthy.

I tried to keep this in the back of my mind when I went to go put my feet in a couple different boots. (Whites, Wescos, Nicks and Vibergs)

In the end I found the Nicks fit my the best by far, so that is what I ended up with. Had to hold my breath while the credit card machine was working, but I am going to be happily living in these boots for a good while. Gonna start breaking em in tomorrow...

Day one over with and my feet feel great!
5662446935_36c2bf00e1_b.jpg

I don't mean to be a derailer here but, how does everyone like to break their boots in?

old school, fill em with water and walk em dry
or grease the heck out of em
or something else?

Thanks, Jake

I don't mean to be a derailer here but, how does everyone like to break their boots in?

or something else?

Thanks, Jake

Grease, grease and more grease. But the odd time I will go stand in a creek during the day!

or something else?

Thanks, Jake

The only boots I've ever worn were Kuliens. They made a last just for my foot and they fit like a glove. However, because of the leather that they used on both the soles and the uppers, I would soak them in water for at least a day before I wore them. The morning that I would wear them for the first time I'd empty them and take a dish towel and dry them out as much as I could. When I went to work they would conform even more to my foot. I can't remember ever having a problem breaking them in.
Obviously, boot grease works to soften them too. However, you can get them too soft. When the uppers fall over when they're standing up by themselves they're too soft. They lose their support at the ankles when on steep ground.
In the summer time I'd fill them up with water every Friday nite and let them soak the salt out over the weekend. I'd get 3 years out of each pair I bought. John at Kuliens told me that the salt is murder on the leather. I didn't think 3 years was too awful bad. One thing for sure with those boots you had to think in "pro rate" terms. The initial expense was enough to choke a mule. However, you were wearing a pair of boots that really lasted if you took care of them.

Thanks guys, I just got a smokin hot deal on some hathorn hi-lines and it has been so long since i broke in a pair of boots that i kinda forgot the best way to go about it

I don't think Whites make the same quality boot as they use too. I had some real problems with their leather stretching out when it got wet. I was going to get some Meindls for this year but when I drove up to Hoffman's, Meindl had changed the leather on the ones they carry to this dry suede type that looked liked it would last about two weeks. I ended up getting them to caulk a pair of the sportivas.

I'm so glad i found this thread, I always bought the cheaper boot Chippewa red wing, they were good for my uses (in construction & biking) but i decided to go all out i got a pair of whites,smoke jumpers mainly for the looks. i'm wearing them for a couple of days very comfortable, but the way they make the arch support really bothers me it really pokes up into my arch its very annoying. 1) is this the way all boots like this style feel wesco nicks etc. or is this exclusive to whites? 2) is the arch going to soften with brake in or am i stuck with how it is? 3) any remedy for this problem? also i'm not flat footed i always thought i have a normal healthy arch thanks much

2) is the arch going to soften with brake in or am i stuck with how it is? 3) any remedy for this problem? also i'm not flat footed i always thought i have a normal healthy arch thanks much

Put em on and work em.
Your foot will adjust.
Then you'll appreciate that arch...

Well after all the calling around and you guys help I decided to give the hoffman smoke chasers a chance. They have a lower heel and talking directly with them said they are comfortable on concrete. I hope they didn't lie about that. I should have them early next week.

You got a problem with that? :msp_smile:

Kinda. How boots look isn't important. Your Kuliens were beautiful when you brought them home, no? Now they show every mile you've put on them but they're still great boots. Crocs are a fashion statement, not boots.

The same with clothes. I don't care how I look. Those heavy cloth hickory shirts that I bought at Sunbirds are wearing like iron. They have indelible grease stains, the fronts are a permanent darker color than the rest of the shirt, there's a few rips and tears and one of them has part of a sleeve gone, I tore out a zipper on another one when the spikes on my saw caught it, and I burned part of the collar off another one when my cigarette set a pitch glob on fire but they suit me just fine.

Besides, you've seen what I wear to work...they ain't pretty but they get the job done. Sort of like their owner. :msp_wink:

Back