Whites boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wore Whites long ago in another galaxy. Did alot of downhill jumping on the way to the truck, or horse, when I worked in the canyons.

They are great for going straight up & straight down. Once I hit the pavement it was street shoes for me.

Went to spring heel Wescos. Still custom fit. Scapposse OR.

I keep 2 pair, vibram & corks.

Just a thought but what about Hoffman Pacs?

I have nothing but praise for Hoffman's at that price point. You CAN get a better boot, but it'll cost at least twice as much.

I still have the Ft.Lewis "go devil" boots i bought when on active duty in the very early 80's they are still in good shape.

You know that's where I work, right?

White recommended the farmer/rancher or smoke jumper. They said both fit the same.

Hoffman said the La sportiva glacier is one of the best. The smoke chaser looks more like what I'm looking for. The price isn't much more than what I've been paying for the red wings after tax.

I've had a pair of danner fire boots for about 5 years now that I only wear on fires they are tough as nails thats for sure. I don't wear them everyday because of the loggers heel makes me feel like i'm gonna turn my ankle. If you aren't use to the loggers heel it will feel funny for awhile.
I'm currently breaking in a pair of danner acadia's seem to be good but for 230.00 bucks they could have come with an insole just showed up with two plastic arch support things. I've spent 25 bucks on insoles and still haven't gotten it right yet.

You might want to try Hathorn explorer boots by white's they cost about 200 bucks.

For what its worth when I get home I put my Pecos back on.

I'm afraid I'm not going to get anything better than what I've got now. I've wore the pecos red wings for 4 years straight now. I have some chippewa lace up logger style boots with 200 g thinsulate I wear in the winter.

i like the asolo hicking boots, byfar the most comfortable boot i have ever had, i can run in them comfortably. I also have some Hoffman powerline boots and love them too. The asolo i can get about 15 months out of a pair i have had 4 pairs and i getting ready to buy another pair to have as a backup good luck

I use my custom built Whites on fires, I like them, I also have La Sportiva's which I don't like.
I just got some Meindl Perfekts, they are awesome. Check them out at Cabela's.

I wore these every day for 2 years as a commercial carpenter. Not American made, I admit, but for the coin, they're the best boots I've ever owned. Comfortable (once you dump the factory insole) and very durable. Leather's great with no real maintainance beyond occasional oiling. Ready for their 1st resole and I'll get another pair. The stuff on the steel toe you cannot wear a hole in.

Cabela's: Cabela's Lace-To-Toe GORE-TEX® Steel-Toe Work Boots

I wore these every day for 2 years as a commercial carpenter. Not American made, I admit, but for the coin, they're the best boots I've ever owned. Comfortable (once you dump the factory insole) and very durable. Leather's great with no real maintainance beyond occasional oiling. Ready for their 1st resole and I'll get another pair. The stuff on the steel toe you cannot wear a hole in.

Just a thought...when you get them re-soled why not have a good shoe repairman put caulks on?

I use my custom built Whites on fires, I like them, I also have La Sportiva's which I don't like.
I just got some Meindl Perfekts, they are awesome. Check them out at Cabela's.

All the "trendy" firefighters here in central Oregon and central/eastern California are wearing the Sportivas. They are among the worst firefighting boots I've ever seen. If a person stands in a hotspot too long, the sole de-vulcanizes and the whole boot starts coming apart. We had Logan hotshots out here last year on a fire and the majority of them had Sportivas- most were planning on going back to their White's or Nick's.

I wear "shop shoes" when I'm in the shop on concrete. A cruddy old pair of tennis shoes that I don't mind getting oil, gas, acid, or paint on.

Heavy leather boots on concrete don't mix to well. Usually; I've found that working on concrete, that one is usually doing lots of twisting, turning , fast walking, and those boots make your feet get hot. I've tried shop shoes, chucka's, Danners, etc. The best I came up with was a good pair of Tennis Shoes.

Mike, you should try a pair of the new Rocky Bearclaws that Im wearin. I honestly like walkin in them better thn my Nike Air Max.
They have that memory foam in them. Ive had Danner and although the Danner may be tougher, they are not even in the same league as far as comfort and cushion go. They are softer than any tennis shoe Ive ever had. Try a pair on..........

Can't wear tennis shoes or anything that's not a good leather upper so sparks don't set them on fire or melt through to my feet.

I never got any life out of the rocky when using them on concrete. I could get maybe 3 months out of them. It's like I'm looking for a unicorn here with what I'm wanting out of a set of boots.

mdavlee
Can't wear tennis shoes or anything that's not a good leather upper so sparks don't set them on fire or melt through to my feet.

Been there. Was brazing when a hot piece dripped into the top of my shoe. I should have been wearing a pair of Chaps or an Apron.:msp_scared:

Stick welding with 5/32" rods can drop some big splatter balls on your feet too.

Stick welding with 5/32" rods can drop some big splatter balls on your feet too.

Asolo's have a good reputation with a few buddies of mine.

La Sportiva's are for rock climbing, not factory work.:hmm3grin2orange:

BTW, how do you like those Chippewa Loggers? I'm thinking about trying a pair soon. Do they stay waterproof? That is a big thing for me. My Danner Super Rainforest's are nice, but leave more to be desired and like someone said here, the soles are hard and slick!

They have done pretty good on staying waterproof. They have 200g of insulation so I don't wear them much at all in the warmer months. I guess for the money they're pretty good. I haven't worn them on concrete but a few times and they were ok. I usually just wear them when cutting wood or working with cattle.

Latest posts

Back