Who made the best saws in the 60's & 70's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the old Homey's but surely were not gonna forget Pioneer. The NU-17 and 400 and many more to come ran with the best. I still love my old Homelites though, I guess I always will. I imagine the debate could go on forever.

In the late 50's to early 60's, Mac was the choice of fallers as they would outcut the Homelites but tended to be one man saws as they were temperamental to start. We used Homelites on the landings/millyard as anyone could start them. When the XL series came out, we retired the Macs and used Homelites until Dad became a Echo dealer. I still have a 601 and a John Deere 80. I was just given a early 50's Homelite with cable starter cord and the rotating carb might be a 5-30 but I haven't looked closely yet.

a rotating carb wouldnt be a 5-30, that would more likely be a 20 MCS, or something like that. post a pic of it and it'll get an ID for sure.

Around here it depended on the dealership and the salesman. There are pockets where the old timers loved the Homelite and there are pockets that loved the Homelites. When you get to talking to them it usually revolved around a certain dealer in the area. How many times in here do we hear the phrase go with the best local dealer.

not sure when the 028 first appeared . if in the 70s it gets my vote. otherwise the echos were an homeowner saw that i find to be , still running a lot.they must have been built well.
stihl ,today if i was going on a woods trip for a while and wanted dependable . it would be the 028 with files and one exstra chain.jmo
they have yet to let me dn in the woods. and i been there plenty.

Latest posts

Back