Who makes the best Lineman pliers and Diagonal cutters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depended on the wire Bill - You could cut up to #2 copper with those Klein pliers, bigger than that like 2/0 or 4/0 you had to go to bolt cutters or ratchet wire cutter if you needed a nice clean cut for an automatic splice. The aluminum was all ACSR, which means aluminum conductor steel reinforced - you had to use bolt cutters on it.
I always thought our old 7200V lines here were steel lines but heck I may be wrong. I know years ago when copper scrap went sky high dipsticks were trying to steal the lines along the old rail tracks.

We had two sizes of wire with steel in it Bill - Both were 2 bronze strands twisted around steel one. They were called 631 [ same size as 4 stranded] and 477 same as 2 stranded copper. Incredibly strong, pretty sure we used small bolt cutters on them, not the Klein pliers.

Have you tried fencing pliers? The cutting notch on the side is a bypass cutter. https://channellock.com/product/85/ I always use them for cutting heavier gauge wire, like tying up corner braces.

1712787161897.png

For relatively soft wire, Klein Lineman's pliers, but I have ruined more than one set cutting something too hard. But that's on me. Also, don't use a Leatherman. Especially if the wire is still energized. Not only does it tingle a bit, but the arcing ruins the jaws...
I have ruined fencing pliers, too, but those were usually a cheap knock-off brand.

Have you tried fencing pliers? The cutting notch on the side is a bypass cutter. https://channellock.com/product/85/ I always use them for cutting heavier gauge wire, like tying up corner braces.

View attachment 1168971

For relatively soft wire, Klein Lineman's pliers, but I have ruined more than one set cutting something too hard. But that's on me. Also, don't use a Leatherman. Especially if the wire is still energized. Not only does it tingle a bit, but the arcing ruins the jaws...
I have ruined fencing pliers, too, but those were usually a cheap knock-off brand.
I am very familiar when fencing pliers :) spent my entire life using them. They are a multi purpose tool that does many tasks half ass but none excellently. Well possibly staple removal

They do it but slowly
Mini bolt cutters is what I would get. I have lineman and several diagonal cutters. Mostly my diagonals are in my tool belt and cut nails if it’s just a couple and don’t want to get sawzall for it, or pulling finish nails out of trim through the backside. If you are set on diagonals or lineman’s, an overmolded handle will give you a bit more cutting force or make it feel easier.

So what kind of fencing material are you working on?
Depends on the day
Red Brand or Keystone but mostly Red Brand
32 inch with 4 barbs
39 inch with 3 barbs
47 inch with a single barb
5 barbs straight
Some is light with 11g
Most is heavy with 9/11g
Barb runs 12.5g of course double twist
Of course 9g brace

I don't think I've ever seen a Field wire fence done in 9 gauge, but Red Brand lists it. That's probably some pretty good fence fabric.

Reading the specs on that wire, I see that the top and bottom wires come in at 6 gauge. That is some heavy-duty fence. I presume that is the reason for your interest in the best wire cutter?

I install fences, but never in field wire. The toughest wire I encounter is the 6+ gauge bottom tension wire, and it takes a serious effort to cut. (It comes in at .1740 diameter, which is a bit thinner than 5 gauge) I resolved that the fastest and easiest wire cutter for that stuff was my angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade. Battery-operated, it whistles through that wire faster and easier than a pair of two-handed bolt cutters. That leaves me one hand for the grinder and one to hold the wire.

Fencing pliers or the lineman's pliers for the 9 gauge wire.

I don't think I've ever seen a Field wire fence done in 9 gauge, but Red Brand lists it. That's probably some pretty good fence fabric.

Reading the specs on that wire, I see that the top and bottom wires come in at 6 gauge. That is some heavy-duty fence. I presume that is the reason for your interest in the best wire cutter?

I install fences, but never in field wire. The toughest wire I encounter is the 7 gauge bottom tension wire, and it takes a serious effort to cut. I resolved that the fastest and easiest wire cutter for that stuff was my angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade. Battery-operated, it whistles through that wire faster and easier than a pair of two-handed bolt cutters. That leaves me one hand for the grinder and one to hold the wire.
I am sure you are well skilled in farm fencing :omg:

Nope. Only a tiny bit. That's why I was asking you what kind of materials. I'll bet chain link is a lot harder work, though, and the customers far more demanding.

I may have ripped out more old fences than you would imagine, though. I know a lot about tearing 'em up.
Especially when they are impregnated into a zillion little trees.

Not many trees in a fenceline can stand up to the SHoule. Mine is a previous model, and only cuts 15" diameter.
https://www.shoule.com/tree-shear-ts16-treerex.php

Nope. Only a tiny bit. That's why I was asking you what kind of materials. I'll bet chain link is a lot harder work, though, and the customers far more demanding.

I may have ripped out more old fences than you would imagine, though. I know a lot about tearing 'em up.
Especially when they are impregnated into a zillion little trees.

Not many trees in a fenceline can stand up to the SHoule. Mine is a previous model, and only cuts 15" diameter.
https://www.shoule.com/tree-shear-ts16-treerex.php

Not sure what a company's promotional video of a tree shear has to do with selecting the best lineman pliers or dykes but hey you do you. :omg:

Now back on topic..................I hope:surprised3:

I bought a pair of Klein J213-9NE lineman pliers and plan to get a pair of Klein D2000-49 diagonals Thursday. I will see how they work out. I might go ahead and pick up some Knipex ones next week and compare.

Klein - blue handles. Bought in 2009 on advice from master electrician, built my house with them and finished out many basements since then. Just breaking em in.
I liked the old maroon handled ones. Talk about a fluke, and how a good quality company can have the occasional banana… I broke the handle clean off a pair once. It was weird. I had cut with them so much that the inside “fish tape pulling area” was starting to touch, so when I tried to bend them back, it broke. As a joke, I glued them together and put them in my bag and would lend them out. On first use they would break again and whoever borrowed them would be a bit thrown. That might have been my last pair before they came out with the new fancy molded, multi colored handles. I’ve gone through at least 5 pairs since then, but have one pair of Knipex that I’ve kept and have been the best, although the cutting blades are chipped out a bit.

Now back on topic..................I hope:surprised3:

I bought a pair of Klein J213-9NE lineman pliers and plan to get a pair of Klein D2000-49 diagonals Thursday. I will see how they work out. I might go ahead and pick up some Knipex ones next week and compare.
Are you watching Channellock 349 on ebay like I suggested?

And to answer some of pdqdl! question. High tensile with springy things and the not very much metal barbed wire are quite hard. The more massive barbed wire is pretty soft compared to what would replace it. Exactly what chore the search for the best involves remains elusive.

Not being able to pinch skin is one criteria I would put in the search parameters.

Back