Who says tree guys arent human?Hmm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Wife just sent me this link, I thought it was interesting that a tree guy would come save the day when the fire department wouldnt.

Stranger Climbs Tree, Saves Cat
Posted: 5:15 pm EDT June 10, 2009
Updated: 11:32 pm EDT June 10, 2009

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio -- A Springfield Mother made a tear-filled plea for help because she could not get her cat out of the tree, but after the story broke on News Center 7, a stranger climbed the tree and saved the cat.

Chewy was perched about 70 feet high in a tree outside of Christy Williams' Rice Street home.

She said the 1-year-old cat got out Saturday night and wasn't spotted until Williams heard a meow Monday morning.

Williams, her children and neighbors have tried to lure the cat with food and calls. Even rain did not force it down.

Williams said the Clark County Humane Society doesn't have the ladders to reach it, and the Springfield Fire Department didn't want to tie up a fire truck in case a blaze breaks out.

But after seeing the story on WHIO-TV, Austin Frock of Dyer’s Tree Service decided to utilize his years of tree climbing experience and help.

“I’m going to hitchhike up the tree, run this strap around and run all the way up,” Frock said of his strategy. “When I get up there, I’ll try to coax him down.”

And he did. The cat is home safe with Williams and her family.

Link to the story if you like.
http://www.whiotv.com:80/news/19717012/detail.html

Hopefully the gentleman is rewarded for his good deed with some people calling to have work done.

It's a new term for me, too. "run this strap around and run all the way up" is the key to understanding what 'hitchhike' means, IMO.

Guess I should have paid more attention to the story I reckon.Makes sense.
I guess I took the "Hitch" part as meaning by rope.
Yep, I agree with you on that one, if he spiked the tree, that is a no no unless the tree is coming down.

The company I started out with advertised "free kitty cat rescue" in their yellow page ads. I will often use "from kitty cats to crane service" in some of my ads. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt on spiking the tree. Sounds like he done good.

You dont need spikes to bring down cats. You need a bigshot and a few golf balls. OOps, did I say that out loud?

Only joking. Honest!

I got a really sweet letter from the owner of the only cat I rescued. The lead came from this website. http://www.catinatreerescue.com/home/index.cfm Sadly I lost the letter with all the rest of my emails when my old hd pooped itself and I discovered the back up was corrupted beyond redemption. :censored:

I was doing cat rescues for a while but I don't do them any longer.

Dan Crouse (sp.?) has a web site for connecting people who need cat rescues with people who do rescues. That is where most of my calls came from, I wish I could remember the web address.

Cat rescue can be quite exciting. My biggest worry was a cat falling from the tree in front of it's owners and their children.......but I've not had it happen.

When you grab a cat in a tree........the cat grabs back! I used a lobster snare and a duffel bag but some guys are using a duffel bag with a whole cut in it's bottom and a heavy leather glove sewed in place. Grab the cat and invert the bag! Sounds easy!:)

I would bring an army duffel up with me but never managed to get one in the sack. Ever tried to put a cat in a bag? It's akin to trying to give one a bath. Best bet is to just let them latch onto you and rap down with it. Not fun I can tell you that. I got a little work out of doing it but not much.

I was doing cat rescues for a while but I don't do them any longer.

Dan Crouse (sp.?) has a web site for connecting people who need cat rescues with people who do rescues. That is where most of my calls came from, I wish I could remember the web address.

Cat rescue can be quite exciting. My biggest worry was a cat falling from the tree in front of it's owners and their children.......but I've not had it happen.

When you grab a cat in a tree........the cat grabs back! I used a lobster snare and a duffel bag but some guys are using a duffel bag with a whole cut in it's bottom and a heavy leather glove sewed in place. Grab the cat and invert the bag! Sounds easy!:)

Sounds interesting!Never thought of applying the skill to something new.Did you charge for your service, or was it just of exposure?
I found Dan Crouse's website, here is the link if anyone is interested.
http://www.catinatreerescue.com/home/index.cfm

Have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree? The cat will come down on its own. The owners need to settle down and wait it out.

My cat made 6 days in the rain and freezing temps before finally falling out of the tree. Hungry but mostly thirsty and made a full recovery.

I even tried shooting it down with a pellet gun lightly loaded of course.

One of our local volunteer fire depts used to get calls about tree stuck cats until they shot a cat out of the tree with a 11/2 inch water line=BTW cat was fine-owner was more upset than the cat- never did recieve any more calls reg. stuck cats-LOL

Back