Wholesale firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trek5900

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of firewood but do not wish to market and deliver it. I don't mind cutting and splitting. If I were to cut and split on my wood lot and then have someone pick up the wood and sell it what would be a fair price for a cord. The wood would be maple, ash, cherry and hackberry and a some walnut. It would be cut in 16 inch lengths and seasoned for a year. Who ever picks it up would be able to drive to the wood lot and throw the wood on their truck or trailer.

I am thinking of a something of a ratio. For example if firewood is selling for $200 a cord what percentage of the prevailing local rate would be fair?

Can you think of any thing else I should consider?

Thanks

As far as a ratio I tend to see about 80% for picked up wood, but it varies a lot by the amount. If you didn't have to market it and only had to deal with the one guy maybe 70%?

How much do you have? What about finding a friend or relative who needs the extra money to sell it for you? They could deliver it or meet people at your lot and collect the money if the customer wanted to pick up the wood. It would be an easy part time job and they/you could sell it for full price. If you did it that way, anything you gave them above a base wage and mileage would be generous on your part.

Treebot, that sure seems like nice solution where everyone wins.

Only hangup would be liability insurance at the woodlot.

Usually about 50-60% of delivered and stacked price. Around here it is about 80 a face cord delivered and stacked. Cheapest I could find wood last year was 40 and 50 a face cord. Both they loaded my trailer, that was buying 30 full cords at a time. Not many want to wholesale wood around here. The hard wooks been done (splitting and bucking) they dont wanna sell it at 50-60% of what they could make when most of the hard stuffs been done.

Latest posts

Back