Who's Making The Best Half Ton Truck???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish there was a clear answer

I have been doing a lot of research because I am also looking at what truck to buy next. Here is what I have found so far with 1/2 tuns. Please note that this is all just MHO and I know a lot of people disagree with this.
-Chevy seems to have one of the best truck engines today. Good low end grunt and will will with ease. On the other hand I am not impressed with their interiors and think the truck body/suspension is geared a little too much toward the weekend warier and not a work truck. Reliability seems to be on par with Ford but that is subjective.
-Ford has a truck that (IMHO) looks like a work truck and has a frame and suspension to match. On the other hand, their engines are not all that great from a power/towing standpoint, especially the 4.6L. If you get a F150 make sure the 5.4L is in there. Oh, and the mpg doesn't seem to be as good as the Chevys.
-Dodge I have heard very little good about. While some seem to have good luck with them most of what I hear indicates a lot of problems, especially transmission, and very low mpg, especially with the Hemi. One little fact about the Hemi, it is mostly hype and that makes sense. The hemispherical head design is outdated as new designs have proven more efficient, especially has they allow for multi-valve designs.
-Toyota is an interesting one in my book. They have that record of reliability, but then my dad's '01 Tundra has had a lot of problems both electrical and fit-and-finish. I think the first design was a little small for a 1/2 ton, really made for runs to HD and towing a bass boat. The new one is more commercial hype in my book then anything else. A great example is the tri-frame they try to brag about, having a c-channel frame under the bed and where the tow hitch is doesn't seem like a good thing to me. It is way to early for any of us to look at reliability of new Tundras.

My Experience on 1/2 and 3/4 Tons

Hi,

Here is my take on these based on ownership experiences by myself or family members:

2000 Chevy 1/2 4x4. Nice interior, fair power, 14 mpg. Brother still has this one after 100k. Seems like it had frequent problems the first few years, now seems pretty solid. Always starts. Handles lousy. Local Dealership: Ok

Ford: 2002 3/4 ton 4x4 Diesel - Styled nicely, comfortable interiors, lots of problems with 3/4 ton A/T's apparently. Made 6 dealership visits the first year of ownership. Mechanically a POS. Local dealership experiences: Poor

Dodge: 2003 3/4 4x2 x-cab Hemi 5sp, Nice runner, fast, pretty well made: 12 mpg with a light foot. Towed 4k trailer with ease. Bed with 1k in it, no problem at all. Dealership experience: OK

Dodge 2001 3/4 4x4 Diesel; great power, pretty well made, could tow a small town, 18mpg. Getting almost too big to drive and park in the city, though. LOVED the 6sp manual!

Toyota 1995 Mini Pickup x-cab v6 4x4 5sp- Put 180k on this with NO major service other than timing belt. 20mpg. Towed 3k trailer ok, but slow going up the passes. Great quality and bulletproof. Dealership: Very good

Toyota Tundra 2006 (current) - x-cab 4x4 v8 A/T - Super smooth, 17 mpg around town 20 hwy, pretty fast (feels faster than the hemi dodge). Tows 4K no problem, even up the passes. Quality is very good, better than the current domestics, although not quite up to the older Toyota. Up to 1K in the bed, ok. More, forget it. Wish it didn't have the suicide doors in the back. Seems like about as big as you can get and still manouver in crowded cities. Like the size; the new Tundras are just getting too big. Would LOVE a diesel option and a manual tranny.

Perfect Truck:
Mid-size: re old Tundra, 3/4t 4x4 diesel w 6sp.

Ron

How true! I like to go back a little further though. You'd need to buy at least a 3/4 ton to equal one of the old 1/2 tons.

Andy

I second that, its a shame when a 1978 ford 3/4 ton can out haul a 2007 3/4 ford. ahh the old trucks!! real steel, 4speed tranny that was bullet proof, slow & not enviromentally friendly by todays standards. but those were when trucks were built to work!! not grocery shop.

LXT...........

Yep

My dad had brake problems on his 02 F-250 a few years ago. He was driving down the highway and the brakes were sort of half engaged. He had nothing but problems with the brakes on that truck. Wasn't 04 the first year for the Titan? Sounds like Nissan is trying to make it right though. Funny I used to think the Titan was a nice looking truck. Then I got my F-150!

Nissan fixed all of the brake problems....The good thing was they noticed it and made a effort to fix it while under warrenty.

I second that, its a shame when a 1978 ford 3/4 ton can out haul a 2007 3/4 ford. ahh the old trucks!! real steel, 4speed tranny that was bullet proof, slow & not enviromentally friendly by todays standards. but those were when trucks were built to work!! not grocery shop.

LXT...........

You know it, real steel, not plastic junk. Those old trucks are great, easy to work on, built tough. I looked at my nieghbors new Dodge 1/2 ton, looked like I could rip the plastic front end apart with my hands.

You know it, real steel, not plastic junk. Those old trucks are great, easy to work on, built tough. I looked at my nieghbors new Dodge 1/2 ton, looked like I could rip the plastic front end apart with my hands.

The difference is the floppy c-channel frame on old trucks. Load one up and watch the gap between the bed and cab move.

The difference is the floppy c-channel frame on old trucks. Load one up and watch the gap between the bed and cab move.

What? Peacock I load up the old trucks with twice as much weight & the cab to bed gap has never changed!!! hell my 1 ton dump has easily hauls 3 tons a new one ton would be squatting to the ground & could barely pull the load!!

the problem with new trucks is they became a fashion statement & the big three jumped on board, cheapining the overall purpose of what a truck is to be used for!! c`mon plastic grills, mirrors, door handles, dashboards, even the four wheel drive hub locks are now plastic. MMmm I thought plastic was cheaper than steel? but a new plastic truck will cost some bucks!!!

LXT........

What? Peacock I load up the old trucks with twice as much weight & the cab to bed gap has never changed!!! hell my 1 ton dump has easily hauls 3 tons a new one ton would be squatting to the ground & could barely pull the load!!

LXT........

We had a '68 3/4 ton Chevy. Loaded it with wood even with the top of the cab. You could see the frame flex. It's not hard to tell that the frame on new trucks is MUCH stronger than older trucks. Just look at them. Body is junk on new, no arguing that at all. New drivetrain is both better and worse.

Any new 1 ton will EASILY out pull any old truck. The engines are worlds more powerful. The only reason our old '68 hauled that much wood was because of the DEEP gearing.

Any new 1 ton will EASILY out pull any old truck. The engines are worlds more powerful. The only reason our old '68 hauled that much wood was because of the DEEP gearing.

I totally disagree!! I`ll put my 79 1-ton up against any new 1 ton of equal comparison & out haul with no problem!!!

as a matter of fact & I still have the weight cert. my father thinkin this truck is a tri axle, loaded 200 8 inch block along with the premix mortar bags onto it, total laden weight was 9800lbs. no one with a new 1 ton I know would even attempt to do this!!! (and not that I blame them)

as far as engines go, the only thing that has changed for the better is the fuel delivery system & im not so sure about that, a good 4 barrel on a 350 chevy delivers good power!!

I`ll tell ya, out my way alot of the fairs have the demolition derby`s the complaint many are hearing is in the next 10 years this type of recreation will fall by the way side due to the newer vehicles being built like crap & the older vehicles are becoming rare, the newer vehicles wont stand the test of time your hauling wood in a 68 , see if a 2000 model will be around in 2039!!

LXT..............

I totally disagree!! I`ll put my 79 1-ton up against any new 1 ton of equal comparison & out haul with no problem!!!

Sounds like we've got a new event for any GTGs! Old vs. New truck throwdown!

Tundra is the answer?

There have been a number of problems with the Tundra since it's introduction (current version). They were given a "well above average" rating by Consumer Reports before and right when they came out. VERY soon after, were given a "well below average" for the v-8 4x4s. I know they had customers that loaded ATVs and such in the beds and taco'd the tailgate. The last I heard, Toyota wasn't helping owners with the gate issues. I believe the site was www. tundrasolutions.com with pics of the folded gates.

I'm not bashing, but don't buy that they are hands down better than the others on the market.

I know the Nissan's has overheating rear end issues also when they first came out, so not bulletproof either. They are still not so good with CR ratings.

Good luck with the search/hunt!

New Tundra

I rented a 2007 Tundra and drove it for 1000 miles; it's a really nice truck. It is very powerful, but thirsty (I got around 13 mpg 50/50 city/hwy). I am up on tundrasolutions.com a lot. The new Tundras do have a problem with a weak tailgate, and Toyota has not come up with a redesign as of yet. Shame on Toyota. I'll wait another year or two before I think about giving up my 2006 Tundra.

all that is wrong with it is a tailgate?

how long has ford been making trucks? they should have no problems by now but oddly enough,the list is endless.from transmission failures,fuel line fires,and spark plugs shooting out of the head.and that is just the beginning.

how long has ford been making trucks? they should have no problems by now but oddly enough,the list is endless.from transmission failures,fuel line fires,and spark plugs shooting out of the head.and that is just the beginning.

I've owned a lot of ford trucks and have not had any of the above mentioned problems...I guess I must be just lucky. All my tailgates work fine too ;).

I've owned a lot of ford trucks and have not had any of the above mentioned problems...I guess I must be just lucky. All my tailgates work fine too ;).

No front end problems with the older body's? Every one I owned needed the tires rotated every 1500 miles.

I Still Think Toyota's Have the Quality Edge

All autos have problems. My brothers' Ford 02 3/4 ton Diesel went through 2 A/T's in 30Kmi. He was towing a 2000# trailer. He had other mechanical problems to the point the truck was at the dealership more than in his driveway. That is just silly. It was a total POS.

While American trucks seem more reliable than they were 20 years ago, my experience is that Toyota has their act together more than most. I had 4 new Toys over the last 25 years or so, as well as 2 new Dodges, 1 new Jeep, and a new Chevy. All of the domestics had multiple problems that took trips to the dealer to solve.

Out of all of the Toys, I had one recall on one truck. That's all that ever went wrong on them, other than scheduled maintainence. Luck of the draw? Maybe. As another poster said, if the tailgate is all that is wrong with the new Tundra, perhaps you can live with that.

I really DO miss the Cummins Diesel Dodge, though!

YMMV

No front end problems with the older body's? Every one I owned needed the tires rotated every 1500 miles.
I have 105k on my 93 and haven't changed balljoints yet, but they are due now. I consider that normal maintenance after 100k. I've had my current set of tires on it for over 40k and I just pulled them off and put them on my plow truck. I think I did get the tires rotated once...but far short of the 26 odd times I guess I should have ;). I think your talking to ultra too much.

I have 105k on my 93 and haven't changed balljoints yet, but they are due now. I consider that normal maintenance after 100k. I've had my current set of tires on it for over 40k and I just pulled them off and put them on my plow truck. I think I did get the tires rotated once...but far short of the 26 odd times I guess I should have ;). I think your talking to ultra too much.

Nope .....My problems with my truck were solved when I sold it ......Didn't know he had one......But I did see a 04 5.4 with a plug that blew out,And a bunch of the 6.0 PS that crapped out.....

Last edited:

Ultra.... He's a GMC guy...I don't think he's ever owned a ford anything.

I had an 84 F250 that I never could get aligned. put two sets of ball joints in it. They only lasted about 40K each......It was a HD with the IFS, but still..Damn thing wore tires like no other. One of the best trucks I've owned as far as power and durabilty went, just had to ratate tires every other week. lol

I had an 89 F150 that was almost as bad. Changed the ball joints twice and sold it right after. The solid axle fords where the best, short of the 98 up HD 3/4 tons. The 80-96 IFS stuff just isn't high on my dependable list.

I like my fords, but I really like my Chevy 1/2 ton. Just a better built truck all around than any of the fords I've ever had. If I used it more, I would probably get a 3/4 ton, but the free company truck makes me relize I don't need 40K sitting in the driveway rotting... My 99 F150 was ok, but only 2wd, so I don't know what the 97-03 4x4 front ends were like. Haven't driven any of the newer (04+) ones.

Ultra.... He's a GMC guy...I don't think he's ever owned a ford anything.

I had an 84 F250 that I never could get aligned. put two sets of ball joints in it. They only lasted about 40K each......It was a HD with the IFS, but still..Damn thing wore tires like no other. One of the best trucks I've owned as far as power and durabilty went, just had to ratate tires every other week. lol

I had an 89 F150 that was almost as bad. Changed the ball joints twice and sold it right after. The solid axle fords where the best, short of the 98 up HD 3/4 tons. The 80-96 IFS stuff just isn't high on my dependable list.

I like my fords, but I really like my Chevy 1/2 ton. Just a better built truck all around than any of the fords I've ever had. If I used it more, I would probably get a 3/4 ton, but the free company truck makes me relize I don't need 40K sitting in the driveway rotting... My 99 F150 was ok, but only 2wd, so I don't know what the 97-03 4x4 front ends were like. Haven't driven any of the newer (04+) ones.

My 92 F150 switched me over ...........Water over the Dam....

Latest posts

Back