Why 50:1 is the Best Ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
An 026 I took in for repairs had a few issues, but was used for 10 years and ran only on 40:1. The spark arrestor was plugged with carbon, a cylinder bolt was missing and the carb had never been adjusted.
My point is, most saw owners should run 50:1 because they never touch the carb, which most of the time is set too rich.
I fixed the 026, and perforated the muffler and told him his brand new 261 will take a back seat.
Why go fatter when the saw is already fat?

An 026 I took in for repairs had a few issues, but was used for 10 years and ran only on 40:1. The spark arrestor was plugged with carbon, a cylinder bolt was missing and the carb had never been adjusted.
My point is, most saw owners should run 50:1 because they never touch the carb, which most of the time is set too rich.
I fixed the 026, and perforated the muffler and told him his brand new 261 will take a back seat.
Why go fatter when the saw is already fat?
Ran on synthetic 40 to 1 or petroleum?

Also depends on how the saw is run... a home owner will probably do a few cuts, turn off the engine, get a smoke, drink some coffee, do a couple of cuts, turn off the engine, etc. etc.
If the engine doesn't reach normal operating temperatures there will be oil residue - regardless of 1:40 or 1:50.

It`s not always the ratio but sometimes the type of oil being mixed with the gas, sometimes the gas itself. I just had a nice old 028 that I sold a fellow 5 years ago come back complaining the saw wouldn`t run. I asked before opening the tank cap how old the mix was. He replied the saw ran fine last fall. I asked again and he was hedging around, turns out the mix is at least two years old. Man the smell of it brings tears to my eyes, could use this **** for paint stripper!!

A lot of guys run their saws with dirty filters till it dont run no more. Fixed several guys saws just by cleaning the filter they are amazed how good their saws run. So betting a lot of the rich running is from that. Ive been runnin 50 to one for 30 years havent had an oil issue in that time.

A lot of guys run their saws with dirty filters till it dont run no more. Fixed several guys saws just by cleaning the filter they are amazed how good their saws run. So betting a lot of the rich running is from that. Ive been runnin 50 to one for 30 years havent had an oil issue in that time.
i just got in a 028 super and the filter looked new but was plugged to the point the intake side was scoring.got it from the owner of a tree service.i did buy it as a rebuilder and he did tell me it was worn out.it does have some carbon marks but i'm debating on doing a top end or running as is.

i ran 50:1 for years with out a problem before joining this forum all you need to do is use good quality oil and keep the saw tuned correctly. the only i reason i would use more oil if the engine was modified or had bronze bushing bearings in them.

Back