Why 50:1 is the Best Ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An 026 I took in for repairs had a few issues, but was used for 10 years and ran only on 40:1. The spark arrestor was plugged with carbon, a cylinder bolt was missing and the carb had never been adjusted.
My point is, most saw owners should run 50:1 because they never touch the carb, which most of the time is set too rich.
I fixed the 026, and perforated the muffler and told him his brand new 261 will take a back seat.
Why go fatter when the saw is already fat?
50:1 pluses
1. its recommended
2. its more economical
3. its better for your lungs
4. most other things will kill your saw long before 50:1 will.
fanks

I never had a problem with 50:1 for many years in stuff that called for it. I had one seizure in a sled that was ran in too warm conditions that was free air cooled. I always followed what the oem called for. If i had something that was old or was planning on abusing it id run more oil. Now im thinking maybe some items really dont need the extra oil, especially with the saber. It runs clean but in stock saws its way overkill to use so much oil.

Does anyone actually run 50:1 in older saws like an 056? If I remember correctly the recommended ratio was 16 or 32:1. Or is it just on newer saws?

50:1 pluses
1. its recommended
2. its more economical
3. its better for your lungs
4. most other things will kill your saw long before 50:1 will.
fanks

A plug for Motul 800.

I was running Royal Purple @ 40:1 with residue on a new piston after 2-3 tanks in a ported saw. Could see the wash from the transfers nicely. Definite carbon build on the crown.

Motul 800 at same ratio and the piston is like the minute I installed it. No carbon at all.

It's strange that two different synthetics could make that much of a difference, but it did for me.

I am curious about this motul, i really want to run a oil that i can get local. No one by me carries it.

Back