why a muffler mod lowers internal engine temps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actual he's pretty close to being right on the muffler mod theory, but there's not a lot of scavenging going on in a muffler.

However - in an expansion pipe, the volume increases as the gasses work to the outlet, reducing pressure and that creates a lower pressure atmosphere in the pipe, which in turn scavenges the cylinder. which is why a 2-stroke with a properly tuned pipe makes stupid power when compared to the same engine with a reg. muffler.

Nikko

Actual he's pretty close to being right on the muffler mod theory, but there's not a lot of scavenging going on in a muffler.

However - in an expansion pipe, the volume increases as the gasses work to the outlet, reducing pressure and that creates a lower pressure atmosphere in the pipe, which in turn scavenges the cylinder. which is why a 2-stroke with a properly tuned pipe makes stupid power when compared to the same engine with a reg. muffler.

Nikko

I couldn't agree more.:clap:

Bye Scott.... see you in your next incarnation.. and good luck with the mufflers. --Ian

attachment.php

:ices_rofl: Careful there, fella. The mods will ban you for that kind of nasty talk.

On the contrary, when I logged in this morning, it was right there on my list of chores....please help Lakeside recalibrate his bs sniffer and I just gave him a universal setting that works with all pushy bs artists. The fact that you associate that description with somebody you know says alot about that person;)

Bye Scott.... see you in your next incarnation.. and good luck with the mufflers. --Ian

Ian, don't blink......
attachment.php

Last edited:
On the contrary, when I logged in this morning, it was right there on my list of chores....please help Lakeside recalibrate his bs sniffer and I just gave him a universal setting that works with all pushy bs artists. The fact that you associate that description with somebody you know says alot about that person;)

LOL...you're right.

there is a LOT of irony in calling me cahoon. I got banned off another site for disagreeing in an inappropriate way with cahoon.

and it is further ironic to call me wojo. i just got done arguing with him for calling people names and attacking someone personally because he didn't have anything of value to say about the issue at hand.

several of you should remember me when i was in washington. i'm not an ass licker. i'm many things, but for sure that isn't one of them.

back to the issue at hand. it is a simple thing. if you open up the muffler, you have less back pressure in the muffler. less back pressure leads to many things.

less back pressure means more exhuast fumes leave the combustion chamber, leaving more room for fresh charge, leading to more power.

less back pressure means lower pressure in the combustion chamber, leading to less temperature.

on the flip side, on a well designed 2 stroke, restricting the backpressure can lead to more dynamic compression, meaning more horsepower.

i have yet to see a well designed set of transfers on a saw.

back to the issue at hand. it is a simple thing. if you open up the muffler, you have less back pressure in the muffler. less back pressure leads to many things.

less back pressure means more exhuast fumes leave the combustion chamber, leaving more room for fresh charge, leading to more power.

less back pressure means lower pressure in the combustion chamber, leading to less temperature.

on the flip side, on a well designed 2 stroke, restricting the backpressure can lead to more dynamic compression, meaning more horsepower.

i have yet to see a well designed set of transfers on a saw.

I agree that less back pressure does allow more exhaust gases to leave the cylinder. This makes cylinder temperatures hotter as I already mentioned.

I do not agree that less back pressure and consequently less cylinder pressure will lower temperature in the cylinder. The theory is good, the numbers aren't there. If we were talking a difference of 5 atm, then yes.

Back