why all the short bars on saws in this site ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid? Maybe you'd like to rephrase that? I'll bet you would. But if you decide not to, be sure and let us know.

And, for what it's worth, I limb almost everything I cut with a 36" bar. Most of the guys I work with use the same thing. We have neither the time nor the inclination to carry more than one saw at a time while we're working. There might be a couple of extra saws in the pickup but that's often a mile away. We use what we have.

So, you'll have to forgive us when we snicker at people who consider a 28" bar to be a big bar. And you'll just have to get used to the idea that when a person talks about how heavy a 24" bar is we tend to laugh out loud. And you'll have to excuse those of us who make our living with a saw if we don't carry five or six different sizes at once just to have a saw for every occasion.
It's not a hobby for most of us, it's how we put food on the table. And, just like you, we go with what works.

Stupid? I don't think so. But like I said, if you want to continue regarding us as stupid that's your decision entirely. We'll consider the source and give your opinion of us the attention it deserves. I think most of us already have.

Hi Bob, I think T is cutting this one with a 14" bar. ;)

attachment.php

Heres a PNW crazy limbing with 32" bar:hmm3grin2orange:
The vid is by Jasha known to most as TREESLINGER

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nxmA47amKVw" frameborder="0"></>

Try tis with a 16" bar

attachment.php

finally got back to watch the vid, great vid, now thats what i'm talking about, nipin throuhs knotts. such a waste of energy.LOL. merryxmas.

So, say you are falling in a unit. The average diameter to be cut is 14 inches. The ground is steep, and will be yarder logged, meaning people will be on the ground. You are carrying a saw with a 14 inch bar, because you are working smart and that is about as big as most of the cut trees are.

You come to this tree, which has a dead, shaky top. It is a survivor of the fire that swept through the area 80 years ago. You have to get it on the ground, it's a safety thing. How will you do it with a 14 inch bar?
attachment.php

Oh, I forgot, in this location you are away from any roads. You have hiked in because the road is in the process of being built.

The two gentlemen in the picture just happened to have 32 inch bars on their saws. Were they working smart? :bowdown::D

Just pointing out yet another scenario.

Happy Christmas Eve, you all.

BINGO, you hit the nail on the head. I'm the fourth generation of licensed arborist in the family. We live in the Mid Atlantic area, and the tailgate of the truck is seldom more than 50 yards away. We never change bars, we just grab another saw. We have 100cc saws with 36" and 24" bars, 70 to 80cc saws with 20" and 28" bars, and smaller saws with every thing from 14" to 20". Another point to be made is who here are pros and who are homeowners. The home owner is cutting firewood with one or two saws(unless he's been a member for a while and cad has kicked in) and may have several bars and swap them around. Each of our foremen probably had at least 10 saws on his pickup. There's no way all of my saws could be toted around,up, and over mountains just to have the perfect saw for each cut I wanted to make.

Back in the summer I dropped a White Pine for a friend, it had been hit by ligtning at about 60'. The tree was a little over 3', at knee height, where I notched it and about 90' tall. Used a little Echo with a 14" bar to limb out one side of the tree as I climbed it, to put in a pull line. We piled up all of the brush I had cut out, putting in the pull line, in piles about 20' apart so when the trunk came down it would be held up off the ground, also helped to keep from denting the yard. made the notch and back cut with the 36". Picked up the MS 290 with 18" and limbed it up starting at the base cut. The whole log was pretty much off the ground from the piles of brush we put under it. Started bucking into firewood with the 290 untill the bar just went through, then grabbed the 100cc 24"er and bucked till about the last 10', and then finished with the 36"er.

I can't imagine not having a saw and bar ready to grab as I need it. But, if I had to lug equipment long distances, it would be one big saw with one long bar, Joe.

Heres a PNW crazy limbing with 32" bar:hmm3grin2orange:
The vid is by Jasha known to most as TREESLINGER

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nxmA47amKVw" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Try tis with a 16" bar

attachment.php

now thats knockin knotts. great vid.

:bowdown: To the PNW. :bowdown:

Seriously, different strokes for different folks. Just cause ya'll have the need for the 36" bar all day, does not mean the GEC does (Great East Coast:) )

All logging operations around here that arent mechanical do not run anything over a 24". They may have a big saw stuck in the truck with a bigger bar. But most of them question us when they see the saws in the back of the truck hanging 36-72" bars

ya , hear ya, the one post kinda set it off. what we do over here is is just more efficient with a L-B. not stupid & working harder. merry xmas all. and peace on earth.:)

I'm on the east coast and use 28-32" bars on my 70cc and 90cc saws. The light weight bars don't weigh any more than a 20" bar but give you extra length to get away from compressed limbs and such. I personally don't like limbing a 30" oak tree with 25 branches from 4-16" with the weight of the trunk resting on some with a 50cc saw with a 18" bar because it's lighter.

:bowdown: To the PNW. :bowdown:

Seriously, different strokes for different folks. Just cause ya'll have the need for the 36" bar all day, does not mean the GEC does (Great East Coast:) )

All logging operations around here that arent mechanical do not run anything over a 24". They may have a big saw stuck in the truck with a bigger bar. But most of them question us when they see the saws in the back of the truck hanging 36-72" bars
I believe being called flat out stupid for using best tool for the job triggerd these responses. I know weve had many of these go arounds in fun with out calling each other stupid.

Understood cedarkerf.
No point in name calling. Especially like you said, using the right tool for the job.

Merry Christmas! Maybe Santa will bring yall some longer bars :)

attachment.php

I would love to buy a 40+ bar but every time I save up the money for bar and chain I find a used saw for the same price and CAD tells me that the used saw has a bar and chain on it.:D

No, no, no, you guys are all wrong... It's because we don't use big bars to compensate for anything. Unlike those PNW guys... :laugh::laugh:

That's right. hahahahaha

009 Super---12"
MS200T---14"
026---16"
361---18"
044/460---20"
660---25" or 30" if the wood is huge

Shorter bars seem to balance better for me, and there are fewer teeth to sharpen, and the saw seems to have more power, for what it's worth.

There's no place for name calling here.

Everyone uses the bar length that they need for the job in front of them. Why is this such a ballbuster for some? I never understood why some have to give others a hard time over something so insignificant?

I use everything from 18-28" for the work I do and a need a longer bar than that sometimes. Well, don't really need it, but it would make some cutting easier to have a 36" bar. I can cut 40" trees with a 25" all day but a 36 would make it quicker and easier.

It just comes down to using what you want to use. If you need a 36"...60"....16"...then use it. It's no one elses business really. And the prick that called anyone here stupid probably would'nt have the sac to say it to anyones face so we can just ignore him. ;)

Heck, I WISH I was in woods that required me to use a longer bar. Looks like the guys in the PNW have a lot of challenging cutting and have good reasons for the equipment-choices they do.

There's no place for name calling here.

Everyone uses the bar length that they need for the job in front of them. Why is this such a ballbuster for some? I never understood why some have to give others a hard time over something so insignificant?

I use everything from 18-28" for the work I do and a need a longer bar than that sometimes. Well, don't really need it, but it would make some cutting easier to have a 36" bar. I can cut 40" trees with a 25" all day but a 36 would make it quicker and easier.

It just comes down to using what you want to use. If you need a 36"...60"....16"...then use it. It's no one elses business really. And the prick that called anyone here stupid probably would'nt have the sac to say it to anyones face so we can just ignore him. ;)

Heck, I WISH I was in woods that required me to use a longer bar. Looks like the guys in the PNW have a lot of challenging cutting and have good reasons for the equipment-choices they do.

Yes, and yes. Of course it is an individual thing. The OP was probably just bored, it being winter and all. There is always some name-calling on this site; it's no big deal. I like it when my saws are lighter with a short bar, but if I were walking along a huge S/P/F lopping off limbs, I'd likely have a longer bar as well. I'm sure an 044 would do that nicely with a 32", but that's a long heavy bar to be swinging around when felling, IMO.

Today my recently well-tuned 460 with a 20" was flat out tearing through some 18" thick mulberry. Those Stihl chains sure seem to hold an edge. It was a lot of fun, that's for sure. Mulberry is such a pretty wood, and this tree was large enough to be milled. Now that would make some pretty beams, don't you think?

Safety

I'd just like to chime in with a long bar on slope, in bigger timber, working a hazard trees etc etc can be mandatory for safety.
Just backing the other guys here.

I don't like to use anything under a 20" bar unless I have to cut over my head. For that duty, I like my Poopin' pro with athe 16" bar on it, it's nice and lite and runs all right because it rarely gets used. I like bucking firewood logs with a 28" because I am tall and it kill my back to bend halfway over the saw or a splitter all day. I use a 30" bar for my saw mill until I can get a 90+cc saw.

LOLOL...If anybody could do it, he could. I think T would go after an OG redwood with a Wildthing...and get it done, too.

Merry Christmas Gregg.

I was joking of course. We need another GTG.

Merry Christmas to you too Bob.

Back