Why do so many people love the 290/390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an XDM I was deciding between it and the M&P for awhile. Still might like a M&P45c. Glock still cant get into them cause the ergonomics but the XDM and M&P are nice poly guns.
Alright are we done with the MS290 talk now haha. Who cares what other people buy I say let them do their research and decide for themselves.

An 029 is NOT a 290.

It's just frustrating to see ignorant people cooing over a mediocre saw.

If they were really hard up for money they'd be running older stuff. An XL-12 can be had for a song and will keep you warm, and will almost keep up with a 290 in bigger stuff.

My point is, if somebody has the money for a new 390, it's stupid of them to not spend a bit more and get the 361 because they think it's "too much saw"

Do you plan to put a hold on all 029, 039, 290, 310, 390 sales?

An 029 is NOT a 290.

If they were really hard up for money they'd be running older stuff. An XL-12 can be had for a song and will keep you warm, and will almost keep up with a 290 in bigger stuff.

My point is, if somebody has the money for a new 390, it's stupid of them to not spend a bit more and get the 361 because they think it's "too much saw"

It's stupid a person is getting worked up over other people's choices. You could throw out that 361 out of your list and replace it with a 260 and it would make just as much sense.

I have to disagree with SawTroll. I have both a Glock Model 22 and a Kimber Tactical II 1911. The Kimber can not be dropped from 10 meter building and not be damaged, but it is more accurate, is a more natural pointer, is hand fitted, can shoot lead bullets because it does not have octagonal rifling, has a match trigger not a flexi plastic trigger and does not have a oval chamber that stretches out brass and makes it harder to reload. Glock is a better tactical choice, but not a better gun.

An 029 is NOT a 290.

:agree2:

For the way I use a saw, I absolutely agree. I usually have long cutting sessions when cutting whole trees and treetops left from timber ops.

The MSRP difference (390 vs. 361) for a 20" model in my area is $130. For that, I get to work longer with a lighter saw and one with much better antivibe (which, unfortunately, I really need because my hands are more sensitive). Those two things are very important to me and well worth the cash.

The standard 290 is okay, but I really can't go back to .325 pitch for bucking because the speed difference is annoying. That's why the 290 is my current backup saw.

...until CAD strikes again. :jawdrop:

Shazam it just now hit me. The guys that buy the 290s can talk the dealer out of the same hat the pro buyers do. They look just a good goin down the street as pro saw owners do and they have more money in their pockets to spend on other things. Reckon that explains it I do.

An 029 is NOT a 290.

That's why I left the 390 out of my last post and chose to only talk about the 290/310. But I refuse to call anyone stupid for buying a saw that they're happy with. Different people, different standards.

Look at it this way: How many people do you see cooing over their homeowner grade Husqvarnas or Dolmars? I think that says quite a bit about these saws...

:cheers:

I got an XDM I was deciding between it and the M&P for awhile. Still might like a M&P45c. Glock still cant get into them cause the ergonomics but the XDM and M&P are nice poly guns.
Alright are we done with the MS290 talk now haha. Who cares what other people buy I say let them do their research and decide for themselves.

I'm looking at an XDM, hoping to get one in a month or so. Just trying to get an idea what some upcoming expenses will cost before spending any money. I thought my budget was looking good until last night. My daughters cat was caught by the fan in my truck, :censored: vet bill might just put an end to any new expenditures anyway. :cry:

I have noticed that on another forum many members there keep cooing over their coveted 390's like its their first born kid and wont shut up about how incredible they are. I tell them they need to try a 361 and they're all like, " I don't need a pro saw, why do I need anything like that?" or "What are you doing running a 73cc saw, are you a logger?" or even better, "You don't run safety chain?" I don't get it! Even I will admit that the 361 is pretty sweet, and I don't even like Stihls. These are the same people who go all gaga over a 455R. For the last time, the 390 is a big, clunky, underpowered turd! These people don't want to spend $600 for a real saw but don't think twice about $1,500 to buy toys for their screaming little poop factory.

And yes, I know Husky has a few turd saws, like the 570, but how many people go around pushing their 570 in a stroller and bragging about how awesome it is.

Angel my man,

Welcome to the planet. Funny lot we are. You're not coping well, but soon you'll "dumb down" and all will be well.

For years, I went about my business sawing my firewood and doing ministry work helping needy people with their firewood needs with my trusty 029 by my side. Never failed me. Always had a new chain and three or four others, the worse used for dirty conditions.

But, alas, with more money than brains, I decided I "needed" a new saw. How I ended up here, I'll never know, but I suspect that Tommie Hall or Niko had something to do with it.

Now I own my 029, a ported 361, a "worked over" 440, A ported 660 and a Mac SP125. I've owned and sold a 372XP, ported 390XP, Makita 6401 and an 084. I briefly had possession of a 288XP. Oh, I've also owned a Sivey grinder at one point, have a nice ole wall-o-bars and an 84" aluminum super duty cant hook. I could look around my crowded garage and probably find some other stuff. I know I have more chains than my local Stihl dealer.

And, you know how much time all this super duty macho big-time rock-n-roll equipment has saved my over the last couple of years? Wait, I'm not sure, but I'll estimate it. .... let's see ..... add the 6 .... carry the 4 ...... oh .... how many decimals to use? ...... 60 minutes in an hours? ... check ..... 60 seconds in a minute? ..... check. .... OK ... lemme see here ... yep, 18 minutes, 14.444 seconds. OK, divide that by how much I've spent ..... $27,474.52 per hour saved. If Obama gets wind of this, he'll leave the big time executives alone and come after me.

Woooops. Here comes Mrs. Joat .... better go,

Joat

Last edited:
Yes. They will all be smashed and the magnesium used to make more 361's and 200t's.

I'll make a deal with ya dummy, I will have Stihl stop making the 290, 310 and 390 come 2010. Now your end of the deal is to #### about 'em. We know ya hate 'em and would rather use some other old pos in your stable. Chalk it up as you have lost the battle and you will continue to read of happy 290, 310, and 390 owners here.

Deal?

I'll make a deal with ya dummy, I will have Stihl stop making the 290, 310 and 390 come 2010. Now your end of the deal is to #### about 'em. We know ya hate 'em and would rather use some other old pos in your stable. Chalk it up as you have lost the battle and you will continue to read of happy 290, 310, and 390 owners here.

Deal?

You know I will never choose defeat. I don't see too many people cooing over the 310, maybe it doesn't sell as good as the 290. Why do they need so many mid range saws so close in power anyways?

You know I will never choose defeat. I don't see too many people cooing over the 310, maybe it doesn't sell as good as the 290. Why do they need so many mid range saws so close in power anyways?

Don't know, I've wondered the same myself. Too late to change it, the 270 and 280 have a great rep going now and they will be here after 2010.

I have noticed that on another forum many members there keep cooing over their coveted 390's like its their first born kid and wont shut up about how incredible they are. I tell them they need to try a 361 and they're all like, " I don't need a pro saw, why do I need anything like that?" or "What are you doing running a 73cc saw, are you a logger?" or even better, "You don't run safety chain?" I don't get it! Even I will admit that the 361 is pretty sweet, and I don't even like Stihls. These are the same people who go all gaga over a 455R. For the last time, the 390 is a big, clunky, underpowered turd! These people don't want to spend $600 for a real saw but don't think twice about $1,500 to buy toys for their screaming little poop factory.

And yes, I know Husky has a few turd saws, like the 570, but how many people go around pushing their 570 in a stroller and bragging about how awesome it is.
Man I got 5 kids and never had them referred to as "poop factories" . Thats some funny poop. As for the 390 who knows,but look at how many posts youve gotten already today. Good or bad they sure can draw an audience.:cheers:

Angel my man,

Welcome to the planet. Funny lot we are. You're not coping well, but soon you'll "dumb down" and all will be well.

For years, I went about my business sawing my firewood and doing ministry work helping needy people with their firewood needs with my trusty 029 by my side. Never failed me. Always had a new chain and three or four others, the worse used for dirty conditions.

But, alas, with more money than brains, I decided I "needed" a new saw. How I ended up here, I'll never know, but I suspect that Tommie Hall or Niko had something to do with it.

Now I own my 029, a ported 361, a "worked over" 440, A ported 660 and a Mac SP125. I've owned and sold a 372XP, ported 390XP, Makita 6401 and an 084. I briefly had possession of a 288XP. Oh, I've also owned a Sivey grinder at one point, have a nice ole wall-o-bars and an 84" aluminum super duty cant hook. I could look around my crowded garage and probably find some other stuff. I know I have more chains than my local Stihl dealer.

And, you know how much time all this super duty macho big-time rock-n-roll equipment has saved my over the last couple of years? Wait, I'm not sure, but I'll estimate it. .... let's see ..... add the 6 .... carry the 4 ...... oh .... how many decimals to use? ...... 60 minutes in an hours? ... check ..... 60 seconds in a minute? ..... check. .... OK ... lemme see here ... yep, 18 minutes, 14.444 seconds. OK, divide that by how much I've spent ..... $27,474.52 per hour saved. If Obama gets wind of this, he'll leave the big time executives alone and come after me.

Woooops. Here comes Mrs. Joat .... better go,

Joat

:ices_rofl:

Tell Mrs. Joat that all your saws belong to me and you are helping store 'em. I will collect soon.:biggrinbounce2:

An 029 is NOT a 290.

name a better more powerful saw that retails for 369.99 with a good national dealer network to back it up.. not gonna happen.. the 361 is 639 at my dealer, the 290 369.99,390 439. price is a big factor for most home users, myself included.. the 290/390 series saws may not be the best , but they are good enough for many..

Your just not as bright as they are. They aren't following you around while you toot your Husky horn yet you overthere giving them a hardtime. Sounds like they sent you packing,LOLOLOL

Well i had to chime in. I don't usually post a lot, but now i feel the need. Thanks to AS, I have gotten the CAD just as many have. When I first joined the site, probably a year and a half ago, I only had 2 chainsaw's. Now I own every Stihl Pro saw except the 880.
When I joined, I had a old Homelite XL, and a 290, and they did all that I asked them to do. I've also added some mid-range saws, and the MS310 with a Muffler Mod., and it's the saw that I use more than any other. It's a great saw in my estimation, and have never had any problem what so ever with it, and it's cut considerable wood.
Not everyone can afford the Pro saw's, and for a lot of people's need's the family of 290,310,&390 with proper care will last a life time. You don't have to agree with me, but this is my opinion.

Latest posts

Back