Why do so many people love the 290/390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol its a horrible argument to try and slam on the 290-390 (in my opinion the 310 is the most reasonable out of that class) but depending on what your doing there a better choice than the 361 (obvious price increase from the 310) and really if you "need" a 361 why not just get a 460 mag? there great saws and lighter than the 290-390 saws but cost about double. 360 is about a 3rd more than the 310.

I know of 4 brand new husky ranchers that leaked oil out of case and had to be returned right back to TSC and lowes ..and one rancher that wouldnt start for anything by a very mechanicly inclined person and it was promptly returned the next day . those personal testamonies were enough for me to go to our local stihl dealer . not sure if over the last few years they have cheapened them up for the box stores or what .A real shame because my dads 1983 rancher is a pretty good running saw made in europe

I promise you that the problem is related to the fact that they came from the box stores. Set up, instruction, whatever. Could also be the customers were returning their "free rentals" with bogus problems. This good for me, because the more saws these clowns bring back to the box stores, the more refurbs I can buy at great prices.:clap:

I sell a LOT of 455/460's and they are dead on reliable. Never had one come out of the box and not start. Never saw one leak oil out of the case. Occasionally have to adjust the idle, but that's it. Got three 460's going out to a local fire dept tomorrow.

Back on topic, some guys may be able to poke fun at the 290/310/390, based on their own prejudices. But what can not be disputed is that they work, and work very well. Thousands of their owners have cut how many thousand cords of wood, as member after member has been posting. So they have pretty effectively answered the original question as to why they like them. But some guys insist on telling them that it's no good. So, who's really "ignorant" here?:cheers:

I don't understand the problem with someone not needing or wanting an expensive pro saw. I have an 029 that was given to me by my dad and it cuts wood just fine. I want a bigger saw, but not because the 029 is a bad saw. To listen to some on the subject would have me slapping my dad upside his head, insulted that he would give me such an inferior saw. If you don't like the saw and buy one, it's self-inflicted sadness. If you don't have one, what's the issue?

well im gonna go put another 4-6 hours on the peice of junk 310 lets see if she will blow up today >.O cause those saws sure suck lol. :spam:

lol its a horrible argument to try and slam on the 290-390 (in my opinion the 310 is the most reasonable out of that class) but depending on what your doing there a better choice than the 361 (obvious price increase from the 310) and really if you "need" a 361 why not just get a 460 mag? there great saws and lighter than the 290-390 saws but cost about double. 360 is about a 3rd more than the 310.

Alder and fir - I understand......

I never said those saws don't do what they were designed to do, just pointing out that there are better options......

:greenchainsaw:

Btw, alder I just cut down and leave to rot, no point in taking care of it - your alder may be different from mine though....

Last edited:
I have a 039, heavy for the size but who cares. I use it probably 2 days a week every week, never bothered me. For the price it isnt a bad saw, mine has a lot of hours on it. Hard to start cold but once its running runs good.

Alder and fir - I understand......

I never said those saws don't do what they were designed to do, just pointing out that there are better options......

:greenchainsaw:

Btw, alder I just cut down and leave to rot, no point in taking care of it - your alder may be different from mine though....

alright i have never heard of anyone just "leaving" alder to rot. how is it not worth taking care of it burns hot splits like butter and stacks better than any other wood iv come accross. i live in oregon near the coast so basicly you got alder fir and cedar here. i would like you to explain the reasoning behind "letting the alder rot" and theres always a better saw to be gotten.

and by the way i have used my 310 to cut applewood maple cedar and walnut and cherry. it works just fine as long as the chains sharp. and about the pics i will work on getting some on here.
by the way the ol' 310 ran like a champ today another cord under its chain.

I Agree.

Signed - Screaming Little Poop Factory

i dont have kids. i dont really need a 600 dollar saw in order to cut firewood. the 310 works nicely. i am planning on getting a 441 though. so anyway we have established that the 290-390 are inferior to a 361 or a 440 460 441, whats your point? if a 290-390 class saw will serve its purpose, just as some of your 460's 440's 361's. since when did people that own 290-390 class saws have to spoil there kids and buy crappy saws? my ms 310 endures more use and abuse then some of your bigger "pro" saws. and i dont whine about the weight.

Didn't you all hear the news? A guy I know was In Southern Israel a few weeks ago and found a flat stone with a sentence written on it in Hebrew. Knowing it's something downright special he takes it to Jewish historians to get it interpreted. They studied it with amazement and found it to be 4,000 years old. It read, " Always buy a pro saw to cut your firewood."
They all had a meeting and determined it really was the long lost eleventh commandment lost by Moses on his way back down the mountain. So there you have it!

The 290 is a lot of saw for the money. Its got all the power that any homeowner/firewood cutter would need and its priced so that almost anyone could afford.
Its not a pro saw, but who cares? Not everyone needs a pro saw.

I was looking at the 290 again today at the hardware store its pretty big compared to the 361.

Ok, nobody found my stupid Moses joke funny. Here is a question, what is the difference between a "pro" saw and a homeowner saw? I had an 011 and beat the crap out of it,gave it to my dad and he beat the crap out of it. We cut so much wood with that 200 dollar saw it ain't funny. We replaced two oil pumps and that's it. Will a "pro" saw last longer?

okay as far as i know the only difference between a pro saw and a homeowner saw is WEIGHT compare the 390 to the 361 virtually only difference is weight. so for all you guys that cant handle a 13 pound saw go buy a 361. if you need more saw than that you have no businus bashing on 290-390 class saw owners. you know what im tired of im tired of scrawney little men whining about how heavy the farm boss saws are, and then calling them junk = my advice stop having your girlfriend or wife stack your wood and build some muscle.:buttkick:

Back