Why Dolmar ROCKS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi folks, I thought Id post a little story about my new favorite company: Dolmar.

I bought a Dolmar 5100 in september 2008. I used it for a bit & was absolutely thrilled with how well it worked. Spring/Summer of 09 came with some family issues & illness so I didnt get to use it much. Fast forward to fall of 2009 and I started using the saw again. It was still running strong until two days before the warranty expired... it died. No warning, no tell tale signs - just flat out gave up the ghost.

The dealer I had bought it from had unfortunately closed shop that summer (health reasons) so I knew I couldn't go there. I went on the Dolmar website & found a "recommended dealer" close to home. Even though I usually work on my own saws, I took it there the next day just in case there was something that could be done under warranty. I didnt touch a thing or look at it at all.

Well, I wont go into all the gritty details but suffice to say I will never return to that dealer for anything. I got my saw back at the end of DECEMBER and it was in worse shape than when I dropped it off! Still wouldn't run. It somehow had a scored piston - despite me doing ALL the things one should do with a new saw. As evidence of how crappy this dealer was, they tried to sell me a brand new 5100 - while admitting they didnt even open up the piston assembly to see if the cylinder was salvageable!! As I left the shop I said I would follow up with Dolmar directly & they said "Well, good luck. They wont do anything."

As I write this, I have a brand new 5100 sitting in my workshop.

All I had to do was write to Dolmar, wait for a response (about 2 weeks) and then clearly outline everything that had happened (how I had used & handled the saw, mixtures, conditions etc) and what had happened at this dealer.

They sent me a replacement saw within 2 days of discussion.

I must say that I am extremely impressed with both their quick action and their decision on how to resolve the matter. Frankly, i would have been ok troubleshooting the saw & replacing the parts needed myself, had they suggested it, but giving me a brand new saw certainly went above and beyond what I expected.

This tale tells me two things (1 of which I knew before):

a ) that Dolmar is a great company that stands behind their products
b ) that a great dealer is worth their weight in gold...and a bad dealer...well, 'nuff said. :)

Justin

Last edited:
Nice to see Companies stand behind their product!
Too bad they don't have a better dealer network that could have handled the problem for you, but all's well that end's well. Sounds like they're make'n it work as best they can.:clap:

That's great to hear but someone needs to take a bat to Dolmar's head and have them start working on their dealer network. Here we have two. One who will yell at their customers and their repair work is iffy at best and the other who is a really nice guy who admits that he really doesn't know much about saws. It is a shame that such a great product has such poor representation (excluding, of course, the great dealers that are on here!).

I think every brand has their turd dealers, I know of one Stihl dealer around me that ain't worth owl piss:)

The one in my area is constantly rebuilding their loaner saws. He says that customers put cheap fuel in them and they seize up. seems like a issue w/the dolmar brand if you ask me, not very fuel friendly...I saw a recent post on here from a guy in Texas. Same situation broke saw, dealer closed, nearest dealer told him to poop in one hand and wish in the other. Hope it turns out alright for him the same as yours...Most of the advice was to deal w/dolmar directly.. In the long run if dolmar rocks you should not have a problem at all, I know they all have their bad apples but more than enough with that brand..just my 2 cents..

Last edited:
That's really awesome! Always good to hear of a company who stands behind their products! (especially products that I'm planning on purchasing)

Mike

Dolmar builds a good high quality saw, but the dealer network around where I live is just about non existant. Well, I really is non existant.

I would like to see more dealer support from Dolmar. Good dealer support, not well,I can order one for you. Or, I can get parts, but not the saws.

What gives? Dolmar's website shows that I have dealers in every direction from where I live, some very close.

Those dealers exist only on the website, not in real life.:cheers:

Glad they took care of you, could've ended badly. That other dealer sucks, wrong way to take care of customers, your own or possible future customers. I'd lobby hard for hi to lose his franchise if I was you but I'm evil like that. :angry:

Scott

I would buy a tach and make sure this one doesn't cast it withers.

Oh yeah. I have 2 tachs already but Im going to be (even more) diligent than usual with this saw.

One interesting thing - the Dolmar rep was quite adamant that since I cant get Dolmar Oil around this part, I use the Echo Power Max which apparently is a blend of synthetic/trad. I didnt think that would be a huge deal (ive used husky for years now) but Im willing to try anything to make sure this saw runs as beautiful as it does right now.

Surprised no one has mentioned it but there are a lot of threads on here on 5100's seizing up. I would definitely find them and read up. Trim the limiter caps and make sure you are running rich enough.

It's great the company stood behind the saw. It seems from reading all the the threads on the 5100, the company sends this saw out leaned to the max to get the performance out of it. I'd sure trim the tabs and set it with a tach, my CS-56 came very lean from the factory as well. With them replacing the saw at least they have recognized they might have an issue. It seems like this model gets recognized for toasting itself more than others. Good dealers and factory support will minimize unhappy customers. I plan on trying a Dolmar when I can afford it, and I'll drive 80 miles to Javelin's to get it because I know he take care of the customer.

I'm real glad you didn't get hosed on this, but when I read the post I think "two months without a saw" (my guess based on September/December) which is still not great.

I suppose #2 is more important here, since a good dealer would've had you up and running in a couple days.

Good luck with the new one.

S

I'm real glad you didn't get hosed on this, but when I read the post I think "two months without a saw" (my guess based on September/December) which is still not great.

I suppose #2 is more important here, since a good dealer would've had you up and running in a couple days.

Good luck with the new one.

S

Thats exactly it. My wife had to repeatedly tell me to keep my cool for fear of me going into the dealer with fists swinging. Like I said, I'll never darken their door again with my business & everyone in my immediate area knows my problem. A dumb, dumb move from a local PR standpoint.

The worst part is, they took it upon themselves to put in a new carb kit without even checking the piston. Like what was up with that??

I think every brand has their turd dealers, I know of one Stihl dealer around me that ain't worth owl piss:)

Owls piss is a highly kept secret and extremely expensive ingrediant in chinese medicine! You will pay a fortune!

;)

Back