Why I will never buy Stihl again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ms290- its a toy saw anyway/disposable unit / ya get what ya pay for !!!

Hello,

I have a Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss that is less than 1 year old. All things considered, this saw has been awesome..... until it stopped running.

Let me preface by saying that I am not new to 2-cycle engines and I've been using Stihl saws for at least a decade without any real problems with the equipment itself.

I had this 290 quit on me after cutting into 3 or so cords over a 2 day period. At first, it would only quit at idle. I originally suspected a carb problem on the low side since it would run fine on the high. Naturally I took the saw into the closest Stihl dealer / servicer since I am no intellicarb genius... AND it is still under warranty.

To my surprise, the dealer called back a few days later saying I had a seized valve. I was shocked. I was even more shocked when the dealer suggested this seizure was due to improper lubrication! I am most certainly the guy who has Stihl brand underwear along with my Stihl 2-cycle and bar oil. And wouldn't you know that I also mix 50:1 with always fresh higher octane fuel as well.

This is where I get even more mad. The dude at the dealer even suggested that maybe I used straight gas myself or loaned the saw out to someone who would use straight gas. First... nobody borrows a $400 saw from me. Second I know the difference between my Stihl mixture and other fuels. I asked them to investigate it, test the fuel, do anything at all. They would only suggest that it was improper lubrication and would not attempt to investigate it further. They told me to take it back where I bought it. Sorry, i thought I was at an authorized service center? Yeah.. I was. I told the owner of the shop, respectfully, that I would expect to hear from his Stihl territory manager if I were him. His response was "go ahead... he is a good friend of mine".

Naturally, I am nauseated at this point. My Pulan Pro toy saw lasted longer than this! I called the regional distributor and eventually got them to order a UPS pickup so they could investigate it properly to see if there is a defect of some kind. This is most certainly something I would expect the dealer / servicer to do in the first place, right? I guess not.

I understand there are some people out there who treat their equipment like dog crap. I am honestly not rich enough to treat a $400 saw like it is disposable. I personally don't like people suggesting I do without even an attempt to investigate.

To all of you Stihl service professionals out there: I would be angry that your peers conduct themselves in such a way. To the manufacturer, I would be ashamed that you would allow such people to represent you. If I am, by some crazy chance, running coleman lantern fuel in my saw, then I deserve to buy another one at my own expense. Otherwise, STIHL should be thinking hard about buying me a saw that works. Maybe... a Poulan Pro?

Either way, I will likely never buy another Stihl again after this experience. Even a new or repaired saw would only keep me from driving to the corporate offices to see this guy's dealership revoked and given to someone who is up for the job.

ms 290 is a disposable saw, :deadhorse:just a toy, saying " but i paid $400 for it what do you expect for $400??!! they are meant for pruning jobs or cutting up your xmas cake ,not serious wood cutting:deadhorse:. old saying -you pay peanuts you get monkeys:monkey:, you want a decent stihl get one of th professional saws not some cheap domestic piece of crappy plastic and recycled coke cans , the new stihl saws are just consumer crap,get a older 046mag,or 038 mag and rebuild it if you have to and you will have a better saw and one that will last , and im not biased as i currently own no fewer than 16 stihls/ 3x090av, 1x090,2x lightnings, 1x088mag,1x066mag2x046mag,2x056mag2,1x038mag,2x034,1x026, as well as a jonsered xf, dolmar-114,120si,143,153,166, all running condition and cut plenty of fire wood each year and no maintenance problems , odd number stihls are domestic crap!!!!! well thats my $2 worth cheers steve . oh and i forgot my superaxe WS450 wood splitter, leaves all your mtd,troy built etc!etc! horizontal crap woodsplitters for dead in its wake !!!!:chainsawguy::rockn:

[oh and i forgot my superaxe WS450 wood splitter, leaves all your mtd,troy built etc!etc! horizontal crap woodsplitters for dead in its wake !!!!:chainsawguy::rockn:[/QUOTE]

with an 8"-18" length of log spec what are you burning it in ? a chiminea ?

Boomba I really dont think the guy has $20K to drop on stuff to cut his meager amount of firewood. Besides its hard to run 16 saws at once. :) He seems like a 1 saw guy anyhow. Besides he upgraded already to the 361. And lighten up on the 290, its a whole lot better than any wild thingy or lowes poulanqvarna they sell for the same $$.

ms 290 is a disposable saw, :deadhorse:just a toy, saying " but i paid $400 for it what do you expect for $400??!! they are meant for pruning jobs or cutting up your xmas cake ,not serious wood cutting:deadhorse:. old saying -you pay peanuts you get monkeys:monkey:,

This post has more poo in it than a full septic tank.:dizzy: Do you think the 290 is Stihl's best seller because it's a toy?? You listed some great pro saws but for joe blow the $400 290 will last him years of sawing. You think a feller that cuts a few cords each winter wants a $600 361? Disposable saw?? I think not, check ebay and see how much they sell for, USED! If you want a pos throw away, check out blowes and wally world, they sell 'em all day long.

ms 290 is a disposable saw, :deadhorse:just a toy, saying " but i paid $400 for it what do you expect for $400??!! they are meant for pruning jobs or cutting up your xmas cake ,not serious wood cutting:deadhorse:. old saying -you pay peanuts you get monkeys:monkey:,

Stihl don't make disposable saws, they make them for homeowners who want a decent saw and professionals who NEED a decent saw. If I paid $400 I would expect my saw to work, and work well, despite it not being a pro model. Stupid stupid stupid post, and if I could be bothered I'd give you the dreaded negative rep - :chainsaw: , but I can't be bothered.

Still no word on the 290. I've called several times to ask too. I don't think the've even looked at it yet.

I must say the 361 is pretty nice. I've been paranoid though. It was quitting at idle after the first 1/2 hour of use. I got pretty scared, so I took it back to the dealer to have it checked. It's funny, because the first thing the guy did was open the fuel cap and smell the fuel. He also asked me what kind of oil I was using and if it was 50:1. Premium, 50:1 Stihl oil, and bought fresh that morning from the same gas station they buy their gas from.

It ended up being the idle adjustment needing tweaked :). I am definitely paranoid. I feel like I need to take it in every time I use it just to keep it from going bad.

That's just it running in - all engines "adjust" themselves while they run in. Once it settles, you can tweak the idle screw any way you want it - it's not going to harm the saw, as it doesn't affect the mixture.

[oh and i forgot my superaxe WS450 wood splitter, leaves all your mtd,troy built etc!etc! horizontal crap woodsplitters for dead in its wake !!!!:chainsawguy::rockn:

with an 8"-18" length of log spec what are you burning it in ? a chiminea ?[/QUOTE]

chiminea?? what those yuppie outdoor heater/fireplaces hardly i have a great slow combustion glass door heater my cave in the suburbs is 12sq and the heater is good to heat 30sq , nice and cozy at 16 to 20 deg C , it takes pieces of wood up to 500mm long , i normally block my wood at 400-450mm,yes superaxe is adjustable from 9"-18" a great feature cheers steve :chainsawguy::rockn:

re stihl ms 290

Boomba I really dont think the guy has $20K to drop on stuff to cut his meager amount of firewood. Besides its hard to run 16 saws at once. :) He seems like a 1 saw guy anyhow. Besides he upgraded already to the 361. And lighten up on the 290, its a whole lot better than any wild thingy or lowes poulanqvarna they sell for the same $$.

i still say that saws like ms180,210,230,250,290, are crap!!!saws like the 361 are so called " new generation" stihls and are much better than the peviuosly mentioned saws even the 039/ms390 are a dog of a saw especially to service i cut about 200-300 cubic meters a year for myself and other people and dont need saws that have nuclear meltdownmy saws havent cost me 20k either my ms880 was bought 18mths old done no more than 30 hrs domestic use and i paid $700 aud for it and that included 6 as new chains [ 3x25" 3x30"] and a tecomech chain sharpener, my 046 mag i paid $450 2yo ,066 $500,056mag2 the two cost me 2 bunches of flowers for the guys missus and a s/h ignition module from a 08s tho get the dead one going , ok i paid $8000 for my superaxe but that was brand new . what im getting at is its better to get an older saw and spend a few dollars on it and end up with a better saw- cheaper oh by the way heres some shots of some trees for firewood

re ms 361 stihl

This post has more poo in it than a full septic tank.:dizzy: Do you think the 290 is Stihl's best seller because it's a toy?? You listed some great pro saws but for joe blow the $400 290 will last him years of sawing. You think a feller that cuts a few cords each winter wants a $600 361? Disposable saw?? I think not, check ebay and see how much they sell for, USED! If you want a pos throw away, check out blowes and wally world, they sell 'em all day long.

this saw is in a different league as it is a "new generation" stihl and a replacement for the old 036 which was / is a great saw as is the old 034 etc etc id rather a old 034/036 than a disposable yuppie ms 290 and the reason they say it is stihls best seller is the cheap price probably cost stihl $150-$200 to make then the rest is profit for them and the dealer/distributor and people buy them for that reason because its new and shiny etc etc etc , its just a marketing wank, if corvettes were $2000 new they would be americas top selling car and everyone would want/have one i pefer to get a pre loved pro saw spend a few bucks on it and end up with a better saw in the long run hummph!! toy saws stack em in a heap and burn them then piss on them to put the smell of smouldering plastic out cheers steve :chainsawguy::rockn:

Last edited:
"bloody micks"

Stihl don't make disposable saws, they make them for homeowners who want a decent saw and professionals who NEED a decent saw. If I paid $400 I would expect my saw to work, and work well, despite it not being a pro model. Stupid stupid stupid post, and if I could be bothered I'd give you the dreaded negative rep - :chainsaw: , but I can't be bothered.

but you micks dont have any decent trees left to cut anyway an ms 170/180 would be all you guys need to go cut ya peat bog with!!!! stupid stupid stupid irish bog cutter go join the IRA and do something constructive with your life / better still get a life!!!!:chainsawguy::rockn: :cheers: steve :agree2::givebeer::censored:

Steve, that bloke on the left looks just like my neighbour Big Nev. He has a 090AV too.

Shame all the big timber has been cut out, we only have smaller River Red Gums around here now, although a friend has a pretty tall one in the front horse paddock that'd be over 100'.
A mate who's a firewood cutter here has found an old stand of Red Cedar, but unfortunately so has the land owner and he instantly saw the $$ signs....:cry:

Back