why would husky/jonsered market a saw that runs this poorly???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metering levers are set. They move up and down but they do not self adjust. The height is set manually. Just because something moves up and down does not mean that it self adjusts.

Good to see you have a fundamental understanding of it and MTronic. Now re-read my post - I said nothing about the MTronic adjusting the metering arm. I said it adjusted the 'metering' - as in the fuel via the needles, to compensate for what I was MANUALLY doing to the metering arm. You were busy trying to prove your point, and likely couldn't be bothered reading in to someone else's. That's cool, it's the internet, you're entitled.

I have also tried modifying the metering lever as well. And other aspects of the carb. The MTronic would always eventually respond in a manner that made the mods work less or worthless, or even cause the metering to go to one extreme, or the other, and basically make the saw unusable. I suspect a sensor wasn't working,

Good to see you have a fundamental understanding of it and MTronic. Now re-read my post - I said nothing about the MTronic adjusting the metering arm. I said it adjusted the 'metering' - as in the fuel via the needles, to compensate for what I was MANUALLY doing to the metering arm. You were busy trying to prove your point, and likely couldn't be bothered reading in to someone else's. That's cool, it's the internet, you're entitled.

That's how your quote reads.

If you actually read my post Stihl US has acknowledged that an issue exists and warranty as needed. But apparently you know differently as you're operating a Stihl dealership in the United States from Europe. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

That's how your quote reads.
It was pretty clear - he said that he adjusted the metering lever and the Mtronic system compensated for that change. Which makes sense, as changing the metering lever a little bit will only change the mixture, and the feedback system is adjusting that mixture.

This thread has gone fairly far off the path - there's still no indication of a design problem on this saw. It's frustrating to get a product that isn't right, but why not take it back for warranty repair?

Somewhere on here recently is a thread from a guy with an MS661 with a bog, that also sounds like it's an atypical problem. Stuff happens on mass produced equipment.

It was pretty clear - he said that he adjusted the metering lever and the Mtronic system compensated for that change. Which makes sense, as changing the metering lever a little bit will only change the mixture, and the feedback system is adjusting that mixture.

This thread has gone fairly far off the path - there's still no indication of a design problem on this saw. It's frustrating to get a product that isn't right, but why not take it back for warranty repair?

Somewhere on here recently is a thread from a guy with an MS661 with a bog, that also sounds like it's an atypical problem. Stuff happens on mass produced equipment.
The exists because the system isn't adjusting stock. Lowering the metering lever isn't going to allocate enough fuel for the systems adjustments to be effective and likely would get a wild idle and cutting out under load. Raising the metering lever will flood the saw and cause the bog to be exaggerated and cause slow spooling. Likely the issue lies in the terms of impulse signal. But if you want more fuel you need to flow more air.
I agree that dealers can't warranty an issue the consumer hasn't let them address and diagnose.

Sorry I feel that Stihl r & d , marketing, customer service is far and above husky. I think they hold their dealers to a higher standard. With that being said, I.know their are some turd Stihl dealers. And there are some very standup husky dealers, like the site sponsors here.

This saw has been fixed. Dropped it off at 7am, just got a call. Dealer said it had a leaky transfer port cover, he did a reset/ reboot of the carb control and it appears to start/ run fine. They are going to cut with it some today before I pick it up

Sorry I feel that Stihl r & d , marketing, customer service is far and above husky. I think they hold their dealers to a higher standard. With that being said, I.know their are some turd Stihl dealers. And there are some very standup husky dealers, like the site sponsors here.
great dealers and turd dealers exist for every brand.

The exists because the system isn't adjusting stock. Lowering the metering lever isn't going to allocate enough fuel for the systems adjustments to be effective and likely would get a wild idle and cutting out under load. Raising the metering lever will flood the saw and cause the bog to be exaggerated and cause slow spooling. Likely the issue lies in the terms of impulse signal. But if you want more fuel you need to flow more air.
I agree that dealers can't warranty an issue the consumer hasn't let them address and diagnose.
Despite all the mystique associated with metering lever height, small changes don't really do anything but change the mixture a little bit. Then you turn the mixture screws and get it back to where it should be - which is just what a feedback carb system does. If you were to change it too much and get out of range you would not be able to adjust it out, and neither would a feedback carb.

Sorry I feel that Stihl r & d , marketing, customer service is far and above husky.
When it comes to Research & Development Stihl is mostly a no-show - they've let others develop the technology and then just pay to use it. They wasted some money on that fuel injection system that's not in production on a chainsaw, but that's about it. Their marketing is first class.

Not yet but they only have a few. Most of which spend their time in the shop for running issues. They were just in this week. They have replaced the carb and module on every saw they own and they still won't idle. 8 mtronic saws sitting at the Stihl dealer because they won't idle. They run WOT but nothing else. I think he said they have 15 or so total. They are still under warranty so I'm not working on the electronic side of them yet. I need to get the software if that's possible?

Damn........that sucks.

Weird as hell though......

Solenoid is the culprit most likely.

8 of them? On the same person's units????

I'm thinking they might need to check their fuel supply. :laugh:

What ended up being the problem

Yes.......good question.

This saw has been fixed. Dropped it off at 7am, just got a call. Dealer said it had a leaky transfer port cover, he did a reset/ reboot of the carb control and it appears to start/ run fine. They are going to cut with it some today before I pick it up

I sorta thought that might be the issue. There was a run of them with that problem. In the small sampling that I see, I've seen quite a few. The 550XP is still a damn fine saw though. They have recently made a few improvements that should make transfer seal, and carb boot issues be a thing of the past.

I sorta thought that might be the issue. There was a run of them with that problem. In the small sampling that I see, I've seen quite a few. The 550XP is still a damn fine saw though. They have recently made a few improvements that should make transfer seal, and carb boot issues be a thing of the past.
They should wad up some extra transfer cover seals and stick them in the intake.....

i thought the same but all other saws are running fine. the 261 mtronic and non mtronic and 362 non mtronic saws are all running fine out of the same cans of fuel. they must be doing something right with gas and operators because i havent seen a single blown up saw in months.

I try to pay attention to what's happening with these saws. People ask me about what saw I recommend too often. Hell, I work on saws.......I don't run them everyday. This is the first real sign of trouble I've heard about with the M/T saws. The 362 is the one that is being the biggest pain here huh?

Despite all the mystique associated with metering lever height, small changes don't really do anything but change the mixture a little bit. Then you turn the mixture screws and get it back to where it should be - which is just what a feedback carb system does. If you were to change it too much and get out of range you would not be able to adjust it out, and neither would a feedback carb.

When it comes to Research & Development Stihl is mostly a no-show - they've let others develop the technology and then just pay to use it. They wasted some money on that fuel injection system that's not in production on a chainsaw, but that's about it. Their marketing is first class.
sorry I don't agree. Fuel injection is not a waste of time and money, you will see it on a chainsaw soon enough. Stihl does a lot of things right and very few things wrong, they are number one for a reason. if you have ever visited in Virginia Beach facility, you would know that testing, research and are very high on their list of priorities.I think people will be very surprised in the technology that they see on a chainsaw the next two to three years.

sorry I don't agree. Fuel injection is not a waste of time and money, you will see it on a chainsaw soon enough
Time will tell. Injection into the case offers no advantages over feedback carbs (maybe faster starts), requires the same lean out test feedback system, and is more complex, expensive and heavier.

I try to pay attention to what's happening with these saws. People ask me about what saw I recommend too often. Hell, I work on saws.......I don't run them everyday. This is the first real sign of trouble I've heard about with the M/T saws. The 362 is the one that is being the biggest pain here huh?

i get the same thing. Personally i tend to lean towards recommending Dollys simply because that is what i have in my hands the most and i know the problems with them. The price also helps. I also tend to bash stihl the most since that is what the majority of my repairs are on and there are relatively few good dealers left around here for them. The price you pay for a stihl and all the marketing hype i expect more out of them and their dealers. I run allot of different saws but most are for 5 mins and hand them back to a customer.

Latest posts

Back