why would husky/jonsered market a saw that runs this poorly???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet but they only have a few. Most of which spend their time in the shop for running issues. They were just in this week. They have replaced the carb and module on every saw they own and they still won't idle. 8 mtronic saws sitting at the Stihl dealer because they won't idle. They run WOT but nothing else. I think he said they have 15 or so total. They are still under warranty so I'm not working on the electronic side of them yet. I need to get the software if that's possible?
You mean solenoid when you say module? Or are you talking about the coil?

My buddies 562 and 576 have held up well in everyday logging use, about 2.5 years. Piston scored on the 562 and 7900 on the same day due to excessive ethanol. The ground electrode broke off the 562 and did some damage. A new piston and back running again.
I have wrench time on all brands of saws and just don't see the build quality thing in the pro grade saws. When it comes to home owner saws Dolmar and Echo beat Stihl and Husky easily.
I will say Stihl's marketing is light years ahead of Husky.

Stock VS stock, the 562 will wax the 362's ass.

The 362 will be killing trees a decade from now, and the 562 will be melted down and made into trinkets.

The pro husqvarna saws are up to the same standard as the Stihls. I have saws from the late 70's and 80's that haven't been touched and still run great. I much prefer my new autotune saws to the old but you can't say the Stihls are built any better. If you don't abuse them they will last.

You mean solenoid when you say module? Or are you talking about the coil?
They told me module...I assume coil is what he was talking about since the solenoid is on the carb. Stihl rep had the dealer replace carb and module on all their saws. They still have 8 that won't idle after doing that so they are back at the dealer.

They told me module...I assume coil is what he was talking about since the solenoid is on the carb. Stihl rep had the dealer replace carb and module on all their saws. They still have 8 that won't idle after doing that so they are back at the dealer.
Solenoid is the culprit most likely.

Build quality takes a back seat to how saws are treated. I see saw abuse daily and it doesn't matter what the brand is, the top shelves at the shop are lined with carcasses from all the current major manufacturers. We lost our first 562 this week, not to engine failure, but to threads stripping for the third time. You can only re-tap and thread so many times. That saw lasted from the time they came out to now, pretty impressive. We also just replaced an 034 with a 562. The 034 has been used full time since new and it was retired not because it broke, but it was finally wearing out.

I inspected that 034 when I traded the foremen for the 562, there was a 1/4 inch of caked on oily saw dust over the entire filter. I can't believe it lasted as long as it did.

Some guys up north are having good luck with the 562's, but they aren't running 200+psi of compression.

I was thinking about picking up a 562 last fall, but opted for the 550 because of the ongoing issues the 562 has. I haven't ran my 550 much, but it seems to run well, very light and smooth. However I must honestly say, I don't like the direction Husqvarna saw are going, the name Poulan comes to mind. The 572 must be perfect before it's release, or they should give up and focus on selling more saws at Lowe's IMHO.:popcorn2:

Not yet but they only have a few. Most of which spend their time in the shop for running issues. They were just in this week. They have replaced the carb and module on every saw they own and they still won't idle. 8 mtronic saws sitting at the Stihl dealer because they won't idle. They run WOT but nothing else. I think he said they have 15 or so total. They are still under warranty so I'm not working on the electronic side of them yet. I need to get the software if that's possible?

I met a kid a little while back that had the same exact issue with his 362c..flat out would not idle

But m-tronic saws dont have issues..remember :laugh:

Did you do the factory reset?

No, I just put a new 120 euro carb on there without doing any sort of investigation whatsoever, ignoring the huge resource that AS could be, and ignored any information on the internet as to what the causes might be or how to correctly use the new carb.

Anyways,

Yes - of course I did the factory reset(which is a bit overrated as a fix if you ask me, as the thing seems to set itself as you use it anyways).

I have also tried modifying the metering lever as well. And other aspects of the carb. The MTronic would always eventually respond in a manner that made the mods work less or worthless, or even cause the metering to go to one extreme, or the other, and basically make the saw unusable. I suspect a sensor wasn't working, or the parameters weren't wide enough to compensate, or otherwise unable to compensate.

The problem likely seems to be the earlier carb version mechanically, or early firmware, or both. The best part was I got this in trade, and was curious to see how reliable it would be, as I was in a debate about how reliable the new MTronic system was with some fans of it beforehand.

The point is, both manufacturers have made saws that weren't perfect, and have not stood behind them because a recall across the board on saws that 'mostly work' doesn't make sense financially.

I have used both manufacturers saws in some grueling professional work, in some of the worst weather, and they both have performed similarly. But, in pro work - there's all manner of things that kill a saw that have nothing to do with the saws design.

a92d14e2209a9a049f55be9d18830eef.jpg

Knock on wood but I've had zero issues with mine save a leaking decomp valve.
That 61 looks NOS!!lol and the other two look barely run in!lol Typical AS post.....reminds me of the 562xp in a recent thread that was claimed to have done 6000 hours that still had all its grey paint on the clutch cover. 6000 hrs would be over eight hours run time (not including refills or lunch break) every day non stop for two years. My huskies must have been made in China or something as the paint on mine wore off in its packaging box!lol At least we all have a laugh!!

That 61 looks NOS!!lol and the other two look barely run in!lol Typical AS post.....reminds me of the 562xp in a recent thread that was claimed to have done 6000 hours that still had all its grey paint on the clutch cover. 6000 hrs would be over eight hours run time (not including refills or lunch break) every day non stop for two years. My huskies must have been made in China or something as the paint on mine wore off in its packaging box!lol At least we all have a laugh!!
Evidently somebody had that 61 hidden somewhere since '87. I happened to go in to the dealer once last summer and the it say with the new saws. They said they took it in on trade. I paid $175 for it. 2013 562xp has about 25 hours on it just had it at the dealer. I don't know alot about the 555 also 2013, I just picked it up at auction.

Evidently somebody had that 61 hidden somewhere since '87. I happened to go in to the dealer once last summer and the it say with the new saws. They said they took it in on trade. I paid $175 for it. 2013 562xp has about 25 hours on it just had it at the dealer. I don't know alot about the 555 also 2013, I just picked it up at auction.
320dfdb4965e8851088e04839487fd8f.jpg

14ba80bc3356920ffc14c79ae42c52cb.jpg

501606b553d8235caa7992f032459d84.jpg

That 61 has a twin as well.
0fd263fd892ffa56329885df42d0d115.jpg

No, I just put a new 120 euro carb on there without doing any sort of investigation whatsoever, ignoring the huge resource that AS could be, and ignored any information on the internet as to what the causes might be or how to correctly use the new carb.

Anyways,

Yes - of course I did the factory reset(which is a bit overrated as a fix if you ask me, as the thing seems to set itself as you use it anyways).

I have also tried modifying the metering lever as well. And other aspects of the carb. The MTronic would always eventually respond in a manner that made the mods work less or worthless, or even cause the metering to go to one extreme, or the other, and basically make the saw unusable. I suspect a sensor wasn't working, or the parameters weren't wide enough to compensate, or otherwise unable to compensate.

The problem likely seems to be the earlier carb version mechanically, or early firmware, or both. The best part was I got this in trade, and was curious to see how reliable it would be, as I was in a debate about how reliable the new MTronic system was with some fans of it beforehand.

The point is, both manufacturers have made saws that weren't perfect, and have not stood behind them because a recall across the board on saws that 'mostly work' doesn't make sense financially.

I have used both manufacturers saws in some grueling professional work, in some of the worst weather, and they both have performed similarly. But, in pro work - there's all manner of things that kill a saw that have nothing to do with the saws design.
The m-tronic system doesn't adjust the metering lever and the sensor you speak of is part of the solenoid. The stihl distributor acknowledges the issues exist and I have never had any problems with warranty work. My dealings with Husqvarna is much more frustrating. Any time you have to wait 9 weeks for 503 62 61-01 you tend to not have received good service. But when I call husqvarna it's 1. Not easy to get clear English speaking people 2. People competent in saw repair don't exist and 3. Will refer you to the nearest husqvarna dealer even though you are a dealer. The facts are very cut and dry. If husqvarna cared about saws they wouldn't require a dealer to stock lawn mowers. They wouldn't allow box stores to under cut prices which makes it harder for dealers to sell. Had husqvarna put the time in on the 562s like they are these unicorn saws these issues wouldn't be too concerning. I used to be a big Husqvarna lover until I started dealing with them on a business level. I don't have any issues with my bulky and slow 362. But if I do have problems I feel more comfortable dealing with Stihl on a service aspect.

The m-tronic system doesn't adjust the metering lever and the sensor you speak of is part of the solenoid.... blah blah blah.

Stihl EU hasn't admitted to it. And I doubt Stihl US will, as it had no early models - the 241 was released nearly 18 months outside the US before the US got them. Mine is a 2012 model.

MTronic Metering lever adjusting? What? Do you even know how a metering lever works?

In any case, my point stands. They both have made lemons, and neither stands by their product any more than is cost-effective to do so. The 661 comes to mind...

Stihl EU hasn't admitted to it. And I doubt Stihl US will, as it had no early models - the 241 was released nearly 18 months outside the US before the US got them. Mine is a 2012 model.

MTronic Metering lever adjusting? What? Do you even know how a metering lever works?

In any case, my point stands. They both have made lemons, and neither stands by their product any more than is cost-effective to do so.
Metering levers are set. They move up and down but they do not self adjust. The height is set manually. Just because something moves up and down does not mean that it self adjusts.

Latest posts

Back