WI/MN/IA GTG March 13th 2010

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting my square fileing practice in, and it's going better and better all the time. I mess with a chain before I come home at night and stop by the wood pile to do a quick test. To dang cheap to buy one of those fancy guides.

A friend has a j-red 2159 that I'll bring, stock saw with only a muffler mod to compare to the stock and ported 359's to see how much difference there is. I'd like to get one of these, just the right size for everything. Had some carb issues with it but I dug deep and found some things that needed improvement and it's working great without the common "replace the carb" solution on them.

While looking at my recipes, I realize that it's souffle that will be at the gtg, not quiche.

Tuning clinic

It looks to me like we should do a "How to tune your saw" demonstration also.
I don't trust myself by ear so I always try to use a tach.:chainsaw:

I really like this idea! I tune "good enough" but know I could do a little better but just don't have enough confidence.

It looks to me like we should do a "How to tune your saw" demonstration also.
I don't trust myself by ear so I always try to use a tach.:chainsaw:

What about a "How to lean seize your saw" demonstration also? Sure we could find some of dem 5100 DOLLYS-Hear they is having problems wih dem saws:confused:

What about a "How to lean seize your saw" demonstration also? Sure we could find some of dem 5100 DOLLYS-Hear they is having problems wih dem saws:confused:

Hmmm, maybe I should let my DEALER set mine, then if it blows, HE could fix it under warranty LOL!

Probably be stoppin into the shop tomorrow to give you and JD a general purpose hard time.

I would definitely like to do some tuning and also some general saw maintenance (removing limiter caps <G>) and also some filing instruction. I'm a lot better since I got my Husqvarna roller guide but could still improve.

We hauled for loads of logs home today. Here is a video

Here is some pics.
skiddinglogson1-31-2010001.jpg

skiddinglogson1-31-2010002.jpg

skiddinglogson1-31-2010007.jpg

Here is Heavy Fuel getting ready to drop one.
skiddinglogson1-31-2010006.jpg

Some tuning 101 sounds like a good idea,I can bring my tach and compression gauge.I should let a few of you tune my 346 by ear and then check it with the tach.It is hard to hear hear 16,000 rpm's:chainsaw: Hey wetgunpowder,is that saw you sold me a 2009 or a 2010 model? Nice video JD.That looks like alot of weight on the back of that truck:jawdrop:Is that really Jon in the one pic?All them truck drivers look the same to me.

Last edited:
Looks like you fella's had some fun today.

I put some time on the 660 yesterday and ran it through the paces putting a few trees on the ground and bucking some wood. Today was shop work.

Back