wife and i did some cutting this morn vid & pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...although fear of the saw isn't necessarily a bad thing?

I would consider myself a semi experienced user, although I've been using saws for 15+ years now.

Felling is my only weak area, everything else I can do well.

As tech working on saw's though I've seen some scary stuff happen, mostly chains getting derailed. I've even had a chain snag the leading edge of my pants a few times without injury. I now wear chaps when testing saws.

That is where standing off to the side of the powerhead comes in, it might save you a trip to the ER.

I'm comfortable using saws but I'm not when it's not mine sometimes, does that make any sense?

Other than my rambling here, it's nice to see the women willing to help, just be safe out there. And keep the chain outta the dirt...LOL

if you like your wife's legs, get her a set of chaps and at least some steel toe boots........and a saw buck or just teach her to put a log underneath to get it off of the ground.....she looks like she will be fine with a little more time behind the trigger.
wifey rep sent!!!! i, like most on here, wish mine would run a saw. come to think of it, i don't know that i have ever asked her......she is always willing to help unload the truck when i come home with a load.

Great thread!

Reminds me of my dad teaching me to cut. He said never look into the cut, if you can see the chain in the cut, you're in trouble. Head and body to one side.

:cheers:

12" runs pretty good on that Echo. It looks like it runs just like the MS170 I used to have with 12".

As for bending over....Oy vey! My back hurts just watching that but to each their own! Some folks can bend, I can't!

Long bars do prevent bending. They also cause you to hold the weight cantilevered causing lower back trouble. I have major back issues (badly healed severe muscle tears from working in trades and osteoarthritis in my spine) and I have tried long bars and short bars. I stick with short bars now and get down on one knee. That way there is no weight loaded on lower back and spine can stay straight. Also, much less weight walking around with the saw which is truthfully where it will cause back trouble, not so much the actual cutting

tell her not to lean her head over the bar when cutting. no control. fun family time though.

:agree2::agree2: heck, i never really noticed that until you said that, thanks, i was having to much fun with her WANTING to help

:agree2:

That was the first thing I notised when looking in here!

Blocking logs that is on the ground makes that happen very easily, if you don't focus on avoiding it.

Last edited:
every time you guys come up with a suggestion her i have a talk about it and i show her why and the reasons it is done that, i know there has been a few things i have missed showing her,,stupidity on my part

Last edited:
Good advice on PPE and operating saws. Looks like that CS310 cuts quite a bit faster than my MS170, but without running them side by side that's really a unqualified statement. I do know my CS370 cuts almost twice as fast as my MS170 side by side. Steve

Last edited:
Good advice on PPE and operating saws. Looks like that CS310 cuts quite a bit faster than my MS170, but without running them side by side that's really a unqualified statement. I do know my CS370 cuts almost twice as fast as my MS170 side by side. Steve

that 310 comes out with a 14" bar which i think is pushing the limit, so i decided to go with the 12" bar,,,i have a few logs left so i might run a vid of it and let everyone decide

tell her not to lean her head over the bar when cutting. no control. fun family time though.

That's the first thing I noticed too. Definitely get your wife some PPE and safety training. You're a lucky dog to have a wife that'll tackle chainsaws. Although mine will help with the stacking.

Last edited:
Hi from Richmond Ky!!

Looked like a good day of it with all the wood you have...It's so enjoyable to see a couple workin the woods together...Buckin on the ground.....
I posted a few times my experance in my teen years with the old 028,,and alot on here had heard this....Thats the only time I had a saw to kick back on me and it wasnt for luck I would have split my head into...I thought I broke my left wrist where it was that hard and stoped it about a inch from my head...As I posted before,,I still dont know what made it do that cause there wasnt anything infront for the bar tip to hit.
Please dont get the wrong idea,,I'm not tryin to harp on your pics,,I loved em,,but make sure when she gets to cutting alot,,get her some PPE...I'm half deaf from being around and running Mcculloch's in the 60's to the early 80's...

Looked like a good day of it with all the wood you have...It's so enjoyable to see a couple workin the woods together...Buckin on the ground.....
I posted a few times my experance in my teen years with the old 028,,and alot on here had heard this....Thats the only time I had a saw to kick back on me and it wasnt for luck I would have split my head into...I thought I broke my left wrist where it was that hard and stoped it about a inch from my head...As I posted before,,I still dont know what made it do that cause there wasnt anything infront for the bar tip to hit.
Please dont get the wrong idea,,I'm not tryin to harp on your pics,,I loved em,,but make sure when she gets to cutting alot,,get her some PPE...I'm half deaf from being around and running Mcculloch's in the 60's to the early 80's...

none taken on the wrong idea,,,i glad everyone is putting their 2 cents in,,thats the top priority for me is to make her safe and have fun too,, i am like you,, i am over half deaf from running air tools for over 20 years as an automotive mechanic:cheers:

that 310 comes out with a 14" bar which i think is pushing the limit, so i decided to go with the 12" bar,,,i have a few logs left so i might run a vid of it and let everyone decide

I believe that was a good choise! :)

Maybe you should try the .043 narrow kerf 3/8" lo-pro on it, if that isn't what it came with?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back