Will a 395 or 660 pull a 36" CSM?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy Tom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok guys,

The common wisdom is that the bigger the better for a CSM. My question is will a 395/660 hold up to, and pull through 36" of walnut if I don't get in a hurry? Got to play with a 3120 and it seemed a little too cumbersome for some of the freehand cuts I'm making while quarter sawing stumps for gun stocks. (Plus the 90cc saws are much more common and a few hundred dollars cheaper)

Thanks,

CT

Yep
I am running a 394 on my 36" mill and if it ever goes I will replace it with a 395 which I think is about the same saw just newer. The 394 does a good job.

Yes,

I run an 066 with a 42" bar on my 36" CSM. (34" actual cutting width) A few weeks ago I was running through 34" of hard maple with no issues. Since you said you are not worried about speed, you sound like you will have the patience to make it work. I have no complaints. Keep the chain sharp and have fun!

If you have a chance to get a 3120, take the opportunity, but the 395/660 is more manageable for most jobs. I'm still waiting for an excuse to get a 60" bar and a 3120 my self. I just need to find the right downed tree...

Ok guys,

The common wisdom is that the bigger the better for a CSM. My question is will a 395/660 hold up to, and pull through 36" of walnut if I don't get in a hurry? Got to play with a 3120 and it seemed a little too cumbersome for some of the freehand cuts I'm making while quarter sawing stumps for gun stocks. (Plus the 90cc saws are much more common and a few hundred dollars cheaper)

Thanks,

CT

many of us on here run a 36" with a 395... no problem.

I run a 395 + 33" and it pulls that easily by my consideration. I'm considering moving it to 8-pin 3/8 or. I want a 36" or bigger but the cost vs. necessity is the big issue right now. Like Glenn above I'm just looking for the right log(s) to tip the scales.

I run a 066 with a 36" bar on the mill. I have cut quite a few 30"+ logs and wished I had a 42" bar.

Of the logs that I have sawn I think walnut is the worst. It doesn't cut as easy as oak, maple or cherry. Harder on me I guess. If cutting 36" wide you will have to be patient. I imagine this would take me 15 minutes if I am lucky.

One word of advice is park the tree so you are cutting down hill. This way you are not fighting the saw as much.

Chris

I also have a 395 and a 36" bar I use a GB mill. I had it nearly buried (3 to 4 inches left on the mill) at a couple of points in a walnut a couple weekends ago and yes it was a little slow but we made some nice lumber! I didn't time the cuts but it did pay to stop and sweeten up the chain a bit. It can be done. irishcountry

I have a 36" on my 066 and it does well. In hard dry oak i just take my time. It won't keep up with a friends 088 but i can still carry and use my 066 for other things haha. If your not in a hurry just keep the chain sharp and cut away with either saw.

Back