Will this happen to STIHL????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok

Nope, they're junk, sell them to me for $100 a piece...LOL, I would think 066 being older and bigger than you are used to would be easier than what you've gone through, older is usually simpler, and bigger means more room to work. I don't know for sure, I'm just sayin'...But if I can rebuild an 029 Super as my first saw rebuild, you shouldn't have a problem with an 066...something that is designed to be worked on

But is Bailey's rebuild kit a good buy or a bad buy? I can rebuild them no problem, but what to use is my issue? Bailey's has kits at 119.00, Where stihl is 350.00 or so?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Henry

Surprised to hear the theories about the demise of companies like McCulloch
Back in the '90s EPA and CARB started doing something about the relatively huge emissions of some 2-strokes, targeting progressively lower levels. Which was fine up to a point where basically either stratified scavenging, catalytic mufflers, or some sort of 2/4-stroke hybrid were the only ones to meet the specs. Things change.

Redmax did fine, innovating stratified-scavenging and licensing the technology. McCulloch seems to have planned to continue the same old, resulting in their going under with the name and color scheme being sold at auction.

Separately, from multi-years' experience, at least one of the Taiwanese "McCullochs" is definitely not a piece of junk, as some seem to take as a matter of faith. Bought one as a backup/throwaway, but now reach for it first, as possible for a given job. Quiet, low-vibes, powerful for 35 cc- check the user ratings on Amazon. So far, so good.

Surprised to hear the theories about the demise of companies like McCulloch
Back in the '90s EPA and CARB started doing something about the relatively huge emissions of some 2-strokes, targeting progressively lower levels. Which was fine up to a point where basically either stratified scavenging, catalytic mufflers, or some sort of 2/4-stroke hybrid were the only ones to meet the specs. Things change.

Redmax did fine, innovating stratified-scavenging and licensing the technology. McCulloch seems to have planned to continue the same old, resulting in their going under with the name and color scheme being sold at auction.

Separately, from multi-years' experience, at least one of the Taiwanese "McCullochs" is definitely not a piece of junk, as some seem to take as a matter of faith. Bought one as a backup/throwaway, but now reach for it first, as possible for a given job. Quiet, low-vibes, powerful for 35 cc- check the user ratings on Amazon. So far, so good.

Yeah, I don't know anything about the original Mac's, but my dad's first chainsaw was an Eager Beaver bought from I believe Builders Square. We put it through A LOT. We bought 7 VERY wooded acres of which we cleared an 1.5 for the lawn, build site, pool, pole barn and driveway, thinned out the dead and weak trees throughout the entire property as well as trails throughout the property to ride fourwheelers. On top of that it kept up with storm damage, trimming, and clearing dead and weak trees as they showed up over the course of the next 10 years, when the clutch finally blew up...other than that it was still runninf strong, but the cost of a new clutch and cost to have it pulled off as we didn't have the tools for it, was about what he paid for the saw, so we ended up junking it and buying the 029 Super...which I loved MUCH more as it had twice the power...but I still give that lil 35 ccer some credit for keeping up with the abuse we gave it.

But is Bailey's rebuild kit a good buy or a bad buy? I can rebuild them no problem, but what to use is my issue? Bailey's has kits at 119.00, Where stihl is 350.00 or so?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Henry

I wouldn't be a whole lot of help on that, but I would imagine Bailey's would be just fine. I reused the p/c in my 029 when I rebuilt it due to the cost of new...piston rings melted to them both, but somehow didn't cause any scouring...I was able to take emery cloth and get all the welded on deposits off, slapped on a new set of rings and she fired up with great compression. Having done that and it works fine, I can't see how the cheaper kit would fail...I'm sure it's not AS good as the Stihl, but we're talking the difference in the engine lasting probably 30 years using generic instead of 40 years using OEM

Ok

I wouldn't be a whole lot of help on that, but I would imagine Bailey's would be just fine. I reused the p/c in my 029 when I rebuilt it due to the cost of new...piston rings melted to them both, but somehow didn't cause any scouring...I was able to take emery cloth and get all the welded on deposits off, slapped on a new set of rings and she fired up with great compression. Having done that and it works fine, I can't see how the cheaper kit would fail...I'm sure it's not AS good as the Stihl, but we're talking the difference in the engine lasting probably 30 years using generic instead of 40 years using OEM

They have a Italian made set and the write up is pretty good. 149.99 vice 350.00 for stihl. I called my buddy. He is a stihl dealer and will not mess with repairing old stuff. No idea, but he won't do it. I do not mind I have made a ton of money off his junk! I love doing it and see start and run like new. I will upload a few photos of the old girls. One is like new condition, the other has some time on it.

What you said does make sense.

Thanks and have a great night!

Henry

Holy crap 6 pages worried about Stihls demise?
As long as people keep buying their crap/mindless sheep that can be easily marketed to-they'll be around. Same goes for jonsavarnahuskolux.:dizzy:

Funny

Holy crap 6 pages worried about Stihls demise?
As long as people keep buying their crap/mindless sheep that can be easily marketed to-they'll be around. Same goes for jonsavarnahuskolux.:dizzy:

Yeah that is funny stuff.

Absolutely not. I was just amazed at what an old new stock 066 went for on ebay. For what you have I would imagine your dead on. I would guess that one in pristine condition would be worth more though. Just really depends on who wants it, and how much they will pay. Just like that new 066 on ebay.

Some of the stuff I have seen on Ebay recently is just stupid! Bars and chains going for $30. to $40. more then what you can get them from Baileys new. I was thinking about converting my 028 to .375 pitch so I buy one type of chain at a time. On Ebay the best kit I could find was going for 30.00 plus shipping I can get about the same deal through Baileys with shipping, seems like they are buying stuff from Baileys and putting it up for sale on Ebay. I am pretty sure I can get a better deal on a new old stock saw from my local Stihl Dealer (He's a pretty good Old boy) then I can through ebay.
Been thinking about posting a thread on the stupid things you see on Ebay, words like vintage and rare, and the item in question is a Stihl 029, just to try to drive the price up. I can't blame a guy for trying to make a buck, but some of these people are just greedy idiots. What bothers me most is they seem to think everyone else is stupid too, and worse yet somebody out there is giving up cash and taking this screw job.

Some of the stuff I have seen on Ebay recently is just stupid! Bars and chains going for $30. to $40. more then what you can get them from Baileys new. I was thinking about converting my 028 to .375 pitch so I buy one type of chain at a time. On Ebay the best kit I could find was going for 30.00 plus shipping I can get about the same deal through Baileys with shipping, seems like they are buying stuff from Baileys and putting it up for sale on Ebay. I am pretty sure I can get a better deal on a new old stock saw from my local Stihl Dealer (He's a pretty good Old boy) then I can through ebay.
Been thinking about posting a thread on the stupid things you see on Ebay, words like vintage and rare, and the item in question is a Stihl 029, just to try to drive the price up. I can't blame a guy for trying to make a buck, but some of these people are just greedy idiots. What bothers me most is they seem to think everyone else is stupid too, and worse yet somebody out there is giving up cash and taking this screw job.

Oh, I know what ya mean man. We were talkin about how that was just too much to pay for a new 066. However, i have come across some good deals on ebay. For instance I got a 24" GB Titanium bar and another 36" GB Titanium bar for $115.00 shipped. I guess a man does need to look around though.

Ebay Screw Jobs

Don't get me wrong I have got some serious good deals on Ebay, but it just irritates me, if you are green to what you are buying you could easily get hammered. It seems like if we mention it here on AS the price on Ebay will almost double over night. I saw it with 372's, and poulan wild things there was a thread posted on hot rodding wild things and the prices climbed overnight on that particular saw, never mind it was being done in fun here on the site. Same thing with 372's, couple guys here were doing kind of a porting thing on 372's, and prices went up over night.
However it isn't just chainsaws, there are a couple serious and good people out there using Ebay, and being fair about things, but just try buying Harley parts on Ebay, you are better off buying direct from Harley, at least they will cover things if you get a bad part, on Ebay you are on your own and alot of times you aren't getting a deal of any kind.
I watch Ebay because there are some good people making good honest deals, but it seems for every good guy there are about ten scam artists looking to hose someone. I guess that's the best part of the Internet, gives a guy a chance to look around, and these days only a fool wouldn't!

Most newer Stihl models are overweight and overbulky by today, but I believe their marketing department is good enough to prevent a disaster....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I don't think Stihl will have much to worry about Troll. I hope your beloved Huskies new mngt team can get it together. If they have anymore set backs like the one Sears dealt them, or Wal-Mart reducing their selection, it will be continue to be a tough declining market like their current financial release alludes to. When you have as many changes as they have recently expeirenced in upper management it usually is a signal the board isn't happy with the performance. They need to focus on China, forget about the US, it is a market that is shrinking and in decline, it has matured. Cheap import saws will start cutting into their business at the big boxes as their quality continues to increase, a pretty good source tells me Stihl continues to have record sales and strong double digit growth. Husky will remain strong, they put out great quality product, have good brand equity, they've just have to diversify and protect themselves from the dang box stores, and put more emphasis back on building and protecting their dealer base. As long as they protect the dealer base they are okay, here. It's an internal struggle with every company I've ever been associated with, sales dept is just interested in top line sales, they never look at the bottom line profit picture, and that my friend will kill any business that does business with the like of Wal-Mart, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, TSC and others, if a company like WM dropped all the product Husky sold in one year it would break their azz no doubt about it. Very few companies can take that kind of hit anymore unless they are well diversified like a proctor and gamble or coca-cola, pepsico, etc.
I like Husky, may be a 372 here in the near future or a 359 if I ever find one cheap enough to send it for a little massaging.

Most newer Stihl models are overweight and overbulky by today, but I believe their marketing department is good enough to prevent a disaster....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
just curious, how many pounds of weed do you smoke in a weeks time ?????????????

Ok, Everyone knows that McCulloch, and Homelite were the kings and queens back in there day. But now they are the biggest hunks of junks on Gods Green earth!
Everyone ALSO knows that Stihl is the number one selling outdoors product in America, as well as the most reliable. Will Stihl Transform into the hunk of junks That Poulan now makes?

Now Jacob.............you MUST understand that none of the great old North American manufacturers were "queens". Homelite, McCulloch, Pioneer, Poulan, Remington, and the other great old NA saw manufacturers were ALL kings...:clap:

Good debate Gary!
(I always wondered where Aaron -Eccentric- got his name) :laugh:

He sure was a weird one though! Especially with the 1-43 and the 250 McCulloch pretty much the same saw. :dizzy:
Sure hope Stihl's not going anywhere :)

And now you know Jacob! The 1-40series/1-50series/200/250/300/380 were all basically the same saw. In the Workshop Manual Supplement, McCulloch spells out the changes between most of the models. Different carbs, displacements (80 and 87cc), AF covers, the addition of automatic oilers, and a few other minor things changed through the run. Not much else. That's not the frustrating part. Changing part #'s on IDENTICAL parts (or at least updated parts that directly replace the old parts) just for the heck of it.............................now THAT'S what turns the hair grey and drives a McCulloch man to brown liquor...:help:

Stihl will be fine. The only thing that worries me is they are pricing themselves out of range for the normal person. The MS460 going for $989.95 with a 25 inch bar, that is over $200.00 more than I paid 3-4 years ago!. I was also told all Stihl products are going up 15% in the fall!.

Last edited:
Stihl will be fine. The only thing that worries me is they are pricing themselves out of range for the normal person.

They still is the cheap brand here, among the better ones - but it doesn't really help......:D

This is about pro saws only, it is different with the lesser ones.

Just curious Troll, do you know what % of a Husky is actually mfg'd by Husky,vs a part being outsourced. It would be interesting to know, not that it affects quality at all, just profits. I know most of the cylinders come from Mahle on the xp and better saws. A dealer in our area got to go over and tour the factory, his opinion was most of the parts came from offsite. He also stated the workers did not know until they got to work that day whether they would be building Huskies or Jonsered's. He thought their ability to switch brands quickly on the same line was very efficient. He was amazed at how quickly workers assembled saws.

Back