Will this happen to STIHL????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for everyone's output on the issue.
Also to the point, or rumor that iv heard.
Does Stihl and Husky come from the same factory, or are they pretty much the same company????

Ok, Everyone knows that McCulloch, and Homelite were the kings and queens back in there day. But now they are the biggest hunks of junks on Gods Green earth!
Everyone ALSO knows that Stihl is the number one selling outdoors product in America, as well as the most reliable. Will Stihl Transform into the hunk of junks That Poulan now makes?

Stihl may not transform into junk, but when it graduates to the next generation, those family members may not want the business, and either sell out or close down.

Totally false rumor, not connected in any way. Husky is a swedish based owned company that trades it's shares publicly. Stihl a privately owned company owned by the Stihl family based in Germany. It's like comparing daylight to dark in the way they are managed. Both make some excellent equipment and some marginal models as well as do all companies, even my beloved John Deere.

I thought Stihl was the number chainsaw seller and Husqvarna number one globally for outdoor power equipment sales?

Totally false rumor, not connected in any way. Husky is a swedish based owned company that trades it's shares publicly. Stihl a privately owned company owned by the Stihl family based in Germany. It's like comparing daylight to dark in the way they are managed. Both make some excellent equipment and some marginal models as well as do all companies, even my beloved John Deere.

Ok good deal, thanks! Now I will sound smart when someones says that they come from the same company. :laugh:

I thought Stihl was the number chainsaw seller and Husqvarna number one globally for outdoor power equipment sales?

It probably is :laugh: Either way Stihl is top seller in something. But I knew they sold ALOT of weedeaters and leafblowers? :msp_mellow:

Saws

It probably is :laugh: Either way Stihl is top seller in something. But I knew they sold ALOT of weedeaters and leafblowers? :msp_mellow:

Stihl here in VA is number one seller and Product to have. Husky trying to sneak in but failing. ECHO and Shindawia another product here in VA, but failing also!

wow...
I really hope this does happen. Imagine a company that is to stihl, as stihl is to Mcculogh et al. I'm almost wetting my pants thinking about it!

Re the husky comments, that has the ring of truth about it. Husky seems to be moving more and more into the homeowner saw market. They've got some fine saws to be sure, but I don't know where they're positioned in the market. It's hard to say who's doing better in terms of stihl/husky, but from what I've seen of tree work and forestry in aus and NZ, stihl has that market pretty well tied up. That whole market probably isn't that big in truth, so I guess it comes down to realities of how much each company has to turn over to keep going. I'm guessing stihl is selling more and could afford to sell less, while it's the other way round for husky.

Shaun
The home owner market is where the moneys at. That's why the MS290 is the worlds most popular saw right now. Most Stihl dealers around here carry few if any pro series saws, but their shelves are full of home owner products.

Last edited:
Stihl Quality is not as good anymore

Stihl has the advantage in the fact that they stayed in dealer networks and remained a family owned. However, I purchased the Stihl 290 a year ago and it has been trouble.
It shuts off when hot and will not restart. Several trips to the shop have not fixed the issue; looking at a coil replacement to see if this will work. So, just like Husky and others, they have lower quality saws and we have to be selective in what we buy.

I like Husqvarna, but they are becoming the MTD of the chainsaw business (MTD is the lawnmower manufacturer that now makes equipment under alot of name brands). Husky is also Jonsered, Redmax, McCulloch, Zenoah and Poulan. They have spread to the big box retailers with their homeowner saws, and allow internet shipping on event their pro saws.

Both Husky and Stihl make great saws, but unlike years past, it is best to do a little research (starting here at Arboristsite) to find out which models are low end junk before you buy.
If they cheapen their products too much, they will be the next McCulloch and we will find another quality manufacturer.

Just my opinion, but I dont like the fact that Stihl went away from Mahle. IMHO, I think they owe it to thier customers to give them the very best as they (Stihl's customer base) has surely made them the very best in chainsaw sales. Just my 2cents...

Stihl has the advantage in the fact that they stayed in dealer networks and remained a family owned. However, I purchased the Stihl 290 a year ago and it has been trouble.
It shuts off when hot and will not restart. Several trips to the shop have not fixed the issue; looking at a coil replacement to see if this will work. So, just like Husky and others, they have lower quality saws and we have to be selective in what we buy.

I like Husqvarna, but they are becoming the MTD of the chainsaw business (MTD is the lawnmower manufacturer that now makes equipment under alot of name brands). Husky is also Jonsered, Redmax, McCulloch, Zenoah and Poulan. They have spread to the big box retailers with their homeowner saws, and allow internet shipping on event their pro saws.

Both Husky and Stihl make great saws, but unlike years past, it is best to do a little research (starting here at Arboristsite) to find out which models are low end junk before you buy.
If they cheapen their products too much, they will be the next McCulloch and we will find another quality manufacturer.

Good point, Stihl seems to be cheapening up thier homeowner saws every year, more and more troubles with them. The 029 saws seemed to last a long time, not so with the recent MS290 saws. Steve

Stihl Flippy Caps

Just so you know Stihl has a recall on all Flippy caps, Flaw design of them not selling and or shutting right and leaking fuel all over you!

just got it a week ago.

Also MTD products suck and Husky stuff same way. Junk, I live next to Stihl and own all new Stihl and I love them. I have all the other crap and all you do is repair it. Cheap Cheap and Cheap.

All the Cheap companies are buying the good stuff and they fall to the cheap way also. Black and Decker Bought Dewalt and now all Dewalt stuff is crap!

MTD did the same thing and so did Husky and now ECHO bought out Shidawia. Now ECHO is a box and Home Depot and all I see people doing is getting it fixed over and over.

Has anyone owned a Tanaka? Curious on how ti works, it has a 7 year warranty! Light weight I know. Not to sure on the Quality.

Just so you know Stihl has a recall on all Flippy caps, Flaw design of them not selling and or shutting right and leaking fuel all over you!

just got it a week ago.

Also MTD products suck and Husky stuff same way. Junk, I live next to Stihl and own all new Stihl and I love them. I have all the other crap and all you do is repair it. Cheap Cheap and Cheap.

All the Cheap companies are buying the good stuff and they fall to the cheap way also. Black and Decker Bought Dewalt and now all Dewalt stuff is crap!

MTD did the same thing and so did Husky and now ECHO bought out Shidawia. Now ECHO is a box and Home Depot and all I see people doing is getting it fixed over and over.

Has anyone owned a Tanaka? Curious on how ti works, it has a 7 year warranty! Light weight I know. Not to sure on the Quality.

If you don't think Stihl makes cheap, cheap , cheap tools either your just buying thier pro models or else you not using them. For haven't has a MS170 apart. Steve

The main difference is Stihl is privately owned and controlled by the Stihl family. Unless a future generation gets tired of piling money up in vaults it will be around for your lifetime and prolly your grandkids lifetime. Imho Stihl is one of the best managed companies in the world, marketing and dealer support is world class as is there mfg facilities. They spend the money needed for engineering and product development.
As long as they stay away from big box stores/chain retail they can control their margins with precision and keep the quality standard where they want to.

There is a huge difference between a public company with margin pressure. I predict (get the noose out) that Husky will have the toughest time surviving. As several AS member's have reported either shop's carrying their product are closing up or diminishing. I think they will survive, but will under go major shifts in distrobution, they'll have to really narrow the product selection at big boxes or spin it off in a different division as it will put huge pressure on margins, which will in the long term effect quality and product development. It doesn't happen overnight, it takes a while for big boxes to bleed you to death. Buyer's from Wal-Mart and Lowes will put extreme pressure on them to hit lower and lower price points, they don't care about quality or returns, returns just get charged back to Husky. When a WM buyer offers to buy a 400k units of a chainsaw, or 200k push lawn mowers or 450-500k units of weed eaters, they get blinded by the number, a public company today has to maintain at least a 35-40% gross margin to cover all the cost on the profit and loss statement. A typical WM store today only will net 5-8% pre-tax profit, I know, I've run one. With the thin margins of today, Husky can't afford to stub their toe in any way.

It's a tough for any business to survive in todays economy. Both companies will be looking to dominate the emerging Chinese market. With their booming economy the average Chinaman will be throwing down the misery whip and axe's and will be buying power equipment for the first time. I'm not kidding, on my first trips to China you would see them haul twenty guys out in a dump truck with shovels to fill it, very cost efficient. Today they are using CAT loaders. Whoever wins that market will be dominate world wide. I'll bet on the germans to win the battle.

As I see it and I am by no means anyones expert. I agree completely here, you can already see the quality in saws made by Husky slipping and this is really hard for me to admit, as I have been a huge husky fan. I have seen no real improvement in saws by husky in a long time, just the same old same old. Yeah! There are the new Strato saws but time will tell if these are a improvement or a hassle, we are still dealing with half-A$$ throttle linkages, and that damn out board clutch, makes changing rims a pain, I can go at it for a while it accomplishes nothing.
While the flippy caps on most saws may be deemed by some as a drawback, at least it is a sign that Stihl is trying new things, and trying to improve their product. I love Husky saws and use mine on a regular basis, but my favorite Husky was made around 2000, and the 288 model no longer exists. Also in my area at least there is literally no support for Husky's, however last I checked there is at least one Stihl dealer in every large city here in Utah. I deal with the boy's out of Cedar City and have never been let down yet! As far as Husky goes I am on my own tradeing, or dealing from the internet to get the parts I need to keep my saws going living in a rural area, this can put a guy in a bind.
As much as I hate to say it I personally think the Stihl fans out there have nothing to worry about, us Husky fans however????????????

Recall

the only stupid thing that Stihl has recently done is flippy caps.
a solution for a non-existent problem.

what's worry some is management at Stihl not listening to complaints.
folks have been complaining about flippy caps for years now. yet management refuses to acknowledge problems with flippy caps and keeps on putting em on new models.

finally Stihl issues a recall on flippy caps for certain models. which includes no chainsaws???
you cannot tell me Stihl management is not aware of the flippy cap problems....

046, there is a current recall right now on those Flippy Caps you call it. Take your old one to a dealer and he will exchange it.

Henry

Really

If you don't think Stihl makes cheap, cheap , cheap tools either your just buying their pro models or else you not using them. For haven't has a MS170 apart. Steve

I work and repair Stihl as a hobby, I have had no issues other than abuse and miss use of them, I own a New BG-55 Blower Love it, Did a carb on one the other day he loves it, I own a FS-90 love it, all the lawn mower use Fs-55 and love them.

Had no issues with Chain saws, I get all the used and tossed out stuff from a local Stihl guy and have yet been a Stihl failure not caused by owners abuse and neglect. Dirty, bad oil mixture and or Cheap Walmart 2 cycle oil, not a good brand of 2 cycle oil. Cheap oil.

Also people buy them new and do not know how to break them in. You need to run at least two full tanks of gas through it and not wide open and use various RPMS until the last tank is gone. Most owners do not and run it wide open and tear them up. Then they do not keep it clean and over heat the piston on the exhaust side, Which is called crowding the Piston.

Now Husky are good and so is Redmax, but as others buy out each other they seem to adapt bad and old making habits and piss poor products start appearing. ECHO buying Shindawia and ECHO is having issues.

Is stihl perfect? No, but by far for the price is good and better performance than allot of other products out there.

Back