Will Work For Firewood: Good Idea Or AM I A Dumbass?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the end result is: Dumbass :clap:

Just an idea that will never suffice. Wood is money to me; especially when you're paying $300 a chord every 3 or 4 weeks during the full blown heating season.

I have no intention of stealing work from anyone else... I was asking to work under a contractor part time (groundsmen) and save some money on fuel for heating my house. And maybe learn the trade in the process.

I have an acre of land, and I like the idea of providing a dump site. I'll have to be very specific though (i.e. no chips, pine, or willow).
I had a spot that I was dumping FREE wood for a guy and one day about 1/3 the load was yellow pine and he called me and raised cane that he can't SELL this crap and for me to come pick it up, he never got another single piece and I'll pay to dump it before he gets anymore, you got to take the bad with the good sometimes when it's free....

"Was" being the key word here! I've done both, concrete flatwork was the only thing I found harder than tree work! Handling bricks all day sucks, shagging brush from the back yard to the chipper in the front, without tearing anything up, for a ten or twelve hour day is a lot tougher!

Lol, at seventeen, i went straight off the farm to a job dragging brush. Thought five dollars an hour for doing the easiest job i'd ever done was awesome. Even now, when i start thinking my job is too hard, a couple hours working in a hay mow puts things back into perspective.

Skilled or not, it's a PITA business arrangement.

Oh man, you are not kidding there. The first outfit i worked for used to have weekend warriors come out and get wood off the jobsite. We'd get it to the front yard, then it was all them. I swear, you couldn't make those guys happy. Everything was too small, or too big, or they couldn't cut it, or couldn't load it, or couldn't split it. Annoying.
I swear these free wood scroungers are still the bane of my existence. For every decent one, there seems to be two jerks. Last week, had a decent sized job with a bunch of nice oak. The rep had a local guy with an owb all set up who would take all the oak we could give him. I even stopped in and talked to the guy myself that morning while the crane was setting up and explained there was going to be a lot of wood, probably five loads of big wood. He was all like fine, no problem, i'll take it all. Cool, we go to town, dropped two tractor dump trailers of oak (nothing less than 24" in diameter) that morning, and of course i get a call, "it's too big, there's too much of it, waah, waah, waah. I wish these guys would wake up and before they start talking big about the huge amounts of wood they want, know that i can put a cord of wood on the ground in three cuts. There definition of a lot of wood is very different from a professionals.:msp_angry:

Im in SE Michigan. No way you're paying 3 bills for one cord. That's the dumbass move. About 50 is spot on here. Wood here is so dang cheap, I give a lot away, cuz its easier. Gimme a name or number of someone charging and selling a cord for that.

Jeff

Lol, at seventeen, i went straight off the farm to a job dragging brush. Thought five dollars an hour for doing the easiest job i'd ever done was awesome. Even now, when i start thinking my job is too hard, a couple hours working in a hay mow puts things back into perspective.

Oh man, you are not kidding there. The first outfit i worked for used to have weekend warriors come out and get wood off the jobsite. We'd get it to the front yard, then it was all them. I swear, you couldn't make those guys happy. Everything was too small, or too big, or they couldn't cut it, or couldn't load it, or couldn't split it. Annoying.
I swear these free wood scroungers are still the bane of my existence. For every decent one, there seems to be two jerks. Last week, had a decent sized job with a bunch of nice oak. The rep had a local guy with an owb all set up who would take all the oak we could give him. I even stopped in and talked to the guy myself that morning while the crane was setting up and explained there was going to be a lot of wood, probably five loads of big wood. He was all like fine, no problem, i'll take it all. Cool, we go to town, dropped two tractor dump trailers of oak (nothing less than 24" in diameter) that morning, and of course i get a call, "it's too big, there's too much of it, waah, waah, waah. I wish these guys would wake up and before they start talking big about the huge amounts of wood they want, know that i can put a cord of wood on the ground in three cuts. There definition of a lot of wood is very different from a professionals.:msp_angry:

Yep,I hear that same crap all the time also.
''I'll take all the wood you can give me [providing it's no bigger than 4or5 inches dia.]''

Nope.Most of the time I tell them ''You can have it ,if you take it all. If not,I then I dump it all''
It's not worth the agravation to seperate all the small stuff and then cut it to length.Even at 25$ pr ton to dump it.

Im in SE Michigan. No way you're paying 3 bills for one cord. That's the dumbass move. About 50 is spot on here. Wood here is so dang cheap, I give a lot away, cuz its easier. Gimme a name or number of someone charging and selling a cord for that.

Jeff

Really!? You are referencing a TRUE 4'x4'x8' chord correct? If so, good luck finding a firewood dealer whom delivers a FULL chord... I've never found one. At best, I'll end up w/ 3/4 of a chord.

Something tells me you're referring to a face chord.

My first thought was to tell you to check Toledo, OH CraigsList (I live on the border). On second thought, call Lumber Jacks and ask for a TRUE 4x4x8 chord of seasoned oak, delivered.

(734) 856-6203

Here is the map
Google Maps

Last edited:
Yep,I hear that same crap all the time also.
''I'll take all the wood you can give me [providing it's no bigger than 4or5 inches dia.]''

Nope.Most of the time I tell them ''You can have it ,if you take it all. If not,I then I dump it all''
It's not worth the agravation to seperate all the small stuff and then cut it to length.Even at 25$ pr ton to dump it.

Look at my sig; I don't own or buy cheap Home Depot "WildThing" specials. Yes, I have a P.O.S. Chinese made Blue Max, but that is my loaner saw (long story). No one other than myself uses my Stihl or Husky saws.

I have the land and I can handle anything up to 50" in diameter.

I would pay someone to dump grapple loads on my property.

Really!? You are referencing a TRUE 4'x4'x8' chord correct? If so, good luck finding a firewood dealer whom delivers a FULL chord... I've never found one. At best, I'll end up w/ 3/4 of a chord.

Something tells me you're referring tbo a face chord.

My first thought was to tell you to check Toledo, OH CraigsList (I live on the border). On second thought, call Lumber Jacks and ask for a TRUE 4x4x8 chord of seasoned oak, delivered.

(734) 856-6203

Here is the map
Google Maps

I'm talking face cord. Still, $50 x 3 is 150. Half what you paid. 3face cords to a full cord. That's split stacked delivered, and seasoned. I know a saw show near me that sells a face cord for 180. But they don't sell a single one till Februaryish. Late in the year, high demand, lazy consumers. They still don't sell that many either. Wood is cheap. Keep hunting, get off Craigslist, drive around a bit. I see face cords for pick up at 40 every day. I'll post pics.

I'm talking face cord. Still, $50 x 3 is 150. Half what you paid. 3face cords to a full cord. That's split stacked delivered, and seasoned. I know a saw show near me that sells a face cord for 180. But they don't sell a single one till Februaryish. Late in the year, high demand, lazy consumers. They still don't sell that many either. Wood is cheap. Keep hunting, get off Craigslist, drive around a bit. I see face cords for pick up at 40 every day. I'll post pics.

Still, $50 x 3 is 150. -> If it's cut 16" in length... a face chord is not a true measurement.

I've been burning for awhile and the closest to a $50 face cord I've found is 6' pickup w/ green silver maple filled to the rim (i.e. not heaping).

I can't heat with that ####.

Show me a seasoned (split and stacked 2+ years) face chord of Oak (or 1 year for Ash) and I'll get down on my knees and pray for you!!

It's don't think that will happen. The stuff I see on the side of the road is not seasoned and its not even a true face cord.

btw..why would you ask strangers if you are a dumbass? kinda begs the question.

You are argueing about little #### and still haven't bothered to take good advice and inquire in the firewood section.

You are starting to annoy me.

Look at my sig; I don't own or buy cheap Home Depot "WildThing" specials. Yes, I have a P.O.S. Chinese made Blue Max, but that is my loaner saw (long story). No one other than myself uses my Stihl or Husky saws.

Really, seriously???? I can't stop laughing! You are going to come to commercial and brag about your 391, 039, and 340??? Oh man, i spend more on saw gas and bar oil in a six month period than what you spent on all three of those homeowner saws combined. Your lineup may be impressive in the saw section, but not here, not here. My daily work saw cost more than those three combined.
Thanks man, i needed the laugh.:hmm3grin2orange:

Still, $50 x 3 is 150. -> If it's cut 16" in length... a face chord is not a true measurement.

I've been burning for awhile and the closest to a $50 face cord I've found is 6' pickup w/ green silver maple filled to the rim (i.e. not heaping).

I can't heat with that ####.

Show me a seasoned (split and stacked 2+ years) face chord of Oak (or 1 year for Ash) and I'll get down on my knees and pray for you!!

It's don't think that will happen. The stuff I see on the side of the road is not seasoned and its not even a true face cord.

Couple problems, first, 16" x 3 = 48" Last I checked 48" in 4 feet. So, by YOUR numbers, 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide (3-16" stacks, and 8 feet long, would be a full cord. I make too much money, and love my wife too much to stay here much longer and do math for you. I've been selling, burning, and cutting wood for that purpose for over 15 years. However, as they saying goes, you can have 1 yr experience 15 times, or 15 yrs experience.

Spend the cheap money and get the green wood. Let it cure, then use it. If you keep replenishing your stock every year, you will buy cheaper wood, cuz it's green, then you can afford to do that.

I would never ask you to pray for me, if that's what it will take. And I'll get pics next time I drive by one and remember. It would be beneficial to the group. I get PM's sometimes asking if I'm serious. I sell full cords, unsplit, for $50. Sometimes less. I've given away more wood than sold this year. I have no interest in splitting wood. I don't use it, but I supply 8-10 guys that do. I sell dead standing timber, cut in 16" logs, for the same price as the green stuff. Smart burners don't care, green or not.

I'd let you come work for me, in exchange for wood, I even think I can cover you on my workmans comp, for value of wood. However, sounds like you'd want to wear gloves all the time, and sometimes, I run around without them. I don't think I'd want the distraction.

Jeff

Really, seriously???? I can't stop laughing! You are going to come to commercial and brag about your 391, 039, and 340??? Oh man, i spend more on saw gas and bar oil in a six month period than what you spent on all three of those homeowner saws combined. Your lineup may be impressive in the saw section, but not here, not here. My daily work saw cost more than those three combined.
Thanks man, i needed the laugh.:hmm3grin2orange:

Not trying to brag, just making conversation... :msp_rolleyes:

This is an example of bragging:
Oh man, i spend more on saw gas and bar oil in a six month period than what you spent on all three of those homeowner saws combined. Your lineup may be impressive in the saw section, but not here, not here. My daily work saw cost more than those three combined.

Last edited:
Couple problems, first, 16" x 3 = 48" Last I checked 48" in 4 feet. So, by YOUR numbers, 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide (3-16" stacks, and 8 feet long, would be a full cord. I make too much money, and love my wife too much to stay here much longer and do math for you. I've been selling, burning, and cutting wood for that purpose for over 15 years. However, as they saying goes, you can have 1 yr experience 15 times, or 15 yrs experience.

Spend the cheap money and get the green wood. Let it cure, then use it. If you keep replenishing your stock every year, you will buy cheaper wood, cuz it's green, then you can afford to do that.

I would never ask you to pray for me, if that's what it will take. And I'll get pics next time I drive by one and remember. It would be beneficial to the group. I get PM's sometimes asking if I'm serious. I sell full cords, unsplit, for $50. Sometimes less. I've given away more wood than sold this year. I have no interest in splitting wood. I don't use it, but I supply 8-10 guys that do. I sell dead standing timber, cut in 16" logs, for the same price as the green stuff. Smart burners don't care, green or not.

I'd let you come work for me, in exchange for wood, I even think I can cover you on my workmans comp, for value of wood. However, sounds like you'd want to wear gloves all the time, and sometimes, I run around without them. I don't think I'd want the distraction.

Jeff

Um, not sure how you interpreted my post...:msp_unsure:

You pretty much said the exact same thing that I stated, except you called foul on my math. YES 3 * 16 = 48 which is 4'. That's what I said.

I followed that up with a statement that a face cord is not a true measurement. In laymen terms, a face chord is not a measurement of depth; just length and height (i.e. I can make a face cord out of tooth picks). Just because you buck @ 16" doesn't mean everyone does.

TRUST ME we're on the same the page and I know my math very well. I think my post was taken the wrong way.

As for the prayer thing, its a joke... seriously (its a quote taken from the movie Deliverance). I'm religious, but not a freak. :laugh:

Smart burners don't care, green or not.
Jeff
You can't burn green wood in these newer EPA stoves. I cannot explain this in one post nor do I care to. I will agree with you on the fact that I could buy my wood one year in advance...if I was fat and lazy. Why? I have a strong back and a great work ethic, I can gather my own (as the opportunity arises).

fyi: I wear gloves on occasion, sorry ;)

Last edited:
btw..why would you ask strangers if you are a dumbass? kinda begs the question.

You are argueing about little #### and still haven't bothered to take good advice and inquire in the firewood section.

You are starting to annoy me.

1, Because a good thread title catches the "eye", obviously it caught you're attention... Asking strangers if you're a dumbass is merely figurative and adds some humor to the topic. I enjoy constructive criticism and I learn ALLOT from it.

2, I'm making conversation, most people are social by nature. Its not a argument.

3, I've learned ALLOT and I thank everyone for helping. I don't really understand what the ####ing issue is here. Am I not allowed to carry on a conversation? And why are you searching what forums I've posted in?

Last edited:
1, Because a good thread title catches the "eye", obviously it caught you're attention... Asking strangers if you're a dumbass is merely figurative and adds some humor to the topic. I enjoy constructive criticism and I learn ALLOT from it.

2, I'm making conversation, most people are social by nature. Its not a argument.

3, I've learned ALLOT and I thank everyone for helping. I don't really understand what the ####ing issue is here. Am I not allowed to carry on a conversation? And why are you searching what forums I've posted in?

deleted, too much pissing. all apologies.

Last edited:
Back