willow oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about Willow Oaks? Looking to plant 4-5 widely spaced yard trees in middle Georgia. I really like these trees, but don't know alot about their growth rates etc... Would you recommend another species over these and why. Thanks, Steve.

Personally, I like the Willow Oak's alot and they tend to grow well in clay soils. However, check out the Sawtooth Oak and/or Water Oak trees. The Sawtooth is spectacular and in my opinion is the perfect tree for shade/privacy/beauty. Nice color in fall and hold their leaves for a long time.

They are very nice and have a great form and structure but those little @#$% leaves will drive you crazy trying to clean therm up, they get stuck in the grass and every crack and crevice around and there are tons of them:blob2:

Willow oaks are a sturdy tree. Plant them in spring. But watch out for some nursery stock. They tend to head the branches back severely to were it looks like a stick with stubs.

Here in VA the sawtooth is considered an invasive. You may want to check with your department of natural resources before you choose the sawtooth.

Latest posts

Back