Wind damage from last weeks storm in my woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are some of the damaged trees beech? In western Michigan a lot of the beech trees are infected with BBD (Beech Bark Disease). Yours might be suffering from the same thing.

http://michigansaf.org/ForestInfo/Health/BBdisease.htm

Yes alot of the beech here are hollow at the very bottom making them a little dangerous to cut down, best to let wind take care of them. I had one 36" beech brake off in backcut and go the wrong way and bend last 6" of a 42" bar 90 degrees. Also had some big oak, ash and maple down

Stay safe and take your time. They'll be there waitin' when you get to them.

Is this all destined for firewood and are you going to sell some?

Stay safe and take your time. They'll be there waitin' when you get to them.

Is this all destined for firewood and are you going to sell some?

All the trees will be cut into firewood, I logged the woods 2 years ago and took out around 600 trees plus another 325 about 8 years ago. I got the saws to get the job done but I'am lacking in the splitting department, 1 monster maul and 1 fiskar 4.25lb maul.

beech

Carefull hand splitting beech! I don't know if I am getting old or what. Every year I say I won't cut any more beech(or elm) until I get a splitter. Last summer I cut and split 2 cords of beech. Some split fine, the rest darn near killed me. I got tennis elbow and couldn't cut or split for a few months. Last week I knocked down a big dead elm. Guess I haven't learned much in the last 20 yrs.

I need a splitter bad! If I get one soon I'll pm ya after the elm.

How big is that oak? It looks like it will make a lot of firewood by the pictures.

Mikeiss

What part of ohio are you in ?I have a splitter that you can use if your close enough,

Dan

Latest posts

Back