Winter Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonker81

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing some BIG oaks this winter and I was wondering if climbing frozen trees is a safe thing to do? Up here in New England it has been at or below freezing for the majority of the time the past few months so the lumber is definitely frozen. Has anyone ever had an issue climbing frozen trees?

I had to climb two pines that were covered in ice this week. Your fine as long as you stay in reasonably solid wood on the spar or close to the spar. I wouldn't want to get too far into the top or out too far on the frozen limbs as they will sometimes break under their own weight. Oaks are a little more solid than Pines or Maples but still use caution if you have to get out there on the skinny ones.

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure. Whenever possible I use a safety rope but the rope also helps keep my weight off the skinny limbs. Looks like I have some activities for tomorrow.

I find that when it get really cold (negatives at night and teens in the day) that on some trees spikes wont go in. Found that out on a pear this year and slid about 6 feet and scuffed up my gut. Oaks arn't too bad though since they have thicker bark. My biggest problem is staying warm in the tree. Once I'm up I don't usually need to move too often. Also all those clothes weigh alot and can be tiring to work in. Ground is nice and hard to drop stuff on though. Good luck.... Mike

Bonker;
Technically I don't think you can say the trees are frozen, this would imply cellular damage that trees in your climate would not tolerate. The water molecule's [in solution] can be supercooled, and depending on the species might make for easier breaking of smaller limbs. I have noticed some difference in the way a cut acts in extreme cold but it appears minimal.
That said, never underestimate the influence of extra weight from ice formed on the canopy. I have seen a textbook felling cut fail 90degrees, tearing directly along and in line with the holding fibers, due to weight caused by ice.
I aint no Physicist, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Artistree

Bonker;
Technically I don't think you can say the trees are frozen, this would imply cellular damage that trees in your climate would not tolerate. The water molecule's [in solution] can be supercooled, and depending on the species might make for easier breaking of smaller limbs. I have noticed some difference in the way a cut acts in extreme cold but it appears minimal.
That said, never underestimate the influence of extra weight from ice formed on the canopy. I have seen a textbook felling cut fail 90degrees, tearing directly along and in line with the holding fibers, due to weight caused by ice.
I aint no Physicist, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Artistree

Wiltyzzy has forced me to think and now I want to know why trees don't freeze. I agree with his statements that tree cannot regularly freeze or they would die. I would like a super-educated tree guru to interject with some science here. When or do, trees freeze?

ice and snow load can definitley be a factor. frozen wood acts different when cut. oak isnt effected much. pines {especially white} have to be treated differently, they get very brittle. u know its been cold when u can see the outer several inches of the butt log looks shiny and hard. i sont know if it is actually froze but it sure looks that way! you;ll be fine with the oak tho shouldnt be any big surprises.

I was thinking of doing some BIG oaks this winter and I was wondering if climbing frozen trees is a safe thing to do? Up here in New England it has been at or below freezing for the majority of the time the past few months so the lumber is definitely frozen. Has anyone ever had an issue climbing frozen trees?

Oh yes...Actually in that other thread I posted I was spiking a good sized oak(for the cape)...prob was a 2+ foot dia butt log decent spread...took it down..The problem that I encounter is I wear warm winter boots by rocky...BUT those WARM winter boots I wear aren't Ideal as far as climbing in..I enjoy a logger up to my mid calf (not Chippewa).Also when you cut the wood it breaks different...I noticed that it is harder to peel the oak...I would guess that since there is so much water in the inner cells they are tighter and don't bend as well..not sure

Also it really sucks when you are 60 feet up and the wind is blowing 20....Our Reps even send us up on those days...

If you are just pruning than dress warm with a face mask..it works for me in Mass during these cold months....

Hope I could help...
On a side note its nice to be a ground guy in weather like this...

Here in Alberta Canada, temps are usually well below freezing from November through February, as long as the trees are not covered in ice we climb right through. The trees don't freeze but when it gets really cold cutting can get unpredictable. Other than that it's just the same as any other time of year.

Man I feel for you guys. We rarely even work in the rain here in So. Calif. Yesterday no work because of rain, it was a chilly 60 deg. I worked one winter up in the San bernadino mountains and it was miserable. I would keep taking off layers of clothing as I went up, and by the time I was down my sweat would start freezing and I wouldn't be able to get warm again. I'm not being a smart ass either,you guys are tough. I think about relocating sometimes but Florida or Hawaii are probably the only places I could survive.

I seem to remember tree don't freeze because they some how uses the sugar it produces to make like anti-freeze. They can also move the water around out of its cells so they don't burst. Conifer needles don't freeze cause the water in them is so pure ice crystals can't form, or none of that is right. I'm going on memory, and i'm not the sharpest tool in shed.

Ive climb in every concievable condition snow ice wind rain take your time wood snaps quicker and your saw will dance a little on the wood sometimes i climb with my georgia loggers and bibs with a hoodie just would like to find some good gloves for climbing below 10 f

Nothing like being in a frozen pine in 30 km winds beside 44kv lines, lol.

supposed to start getting colder soon too!

I know that trees here in northern Maine can get wind burnt, especially the younger trees, conifers, etc. In the ice cold winters up here, take a walk in the woods and you can here trees cracking/popping on a 30-40 below zero day. You can see the splits cause by water getting in, but maybe that's just it, it got in through a hole or something and we all know, when water freezes, it expands, and causes some trees to split.

I never had a problemin winter.

I never climbed a Copper Beech in the winter either .

Back