Wood boilers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol burner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Newbie here and searched some threads on some wood boilers, but looking for advice for my individual needs. I currently have a PSG Caddy heating my 1600 sq. ft. house but am looking for information on wood boilers to heat a pole barn and 3500 sq. ft. I am looking for something that will last is efficient and will run infloor heat in the barn and house plus a heat exchanger in the house. Not too concerned with cost as long as quality and service is there. Hoping to find the best wood boiler for my northern indiana needs.

If you seriously mean cost is no object look at Garn boilers. I'd guess well over $20,000 would be approximate price installed. They've been around quite a while.

Central Boiler has been around a long time too...
Others would be Taylor and Hardy...
Those are the only 3 I've seen in operation personally...
They all have web sites...
Happy hunting!!

I'll give a plug for Mahoning as I have had one for 4 years now and have had no problems with it. It doesn't have any electronic circuit boards to go bad or replace. It does use a lot of wood, but I have been lucky and been able to get all my wood for free. I can and have burnt hard coal in it since it has shaker grates. Happy hunting!

I will put in a plug for Central Boilers. Mine is 9 years old has had some small problems maybe $100 since I've owned it. I burn year round on about 10 cord per year. Good luck on your quest.

Thanks for the replies! I have been looking into information on the e-classic 3200, but didn't know if there were other quality products out there. It seems like there is a lot of new technology coming out with the new regulations. I would just like to find a system that maximizes the wood consumption and pours out the heat. I will look into the Garn, Taylor and Harding, and Mahoning. How many cords of wood do you use per year with the Mahoning? How much would the Garn use per year?

Last edited:
I would look into a gasification boiler. There's quite a few garn users on **********. The units are expensive, but contain built in storage and from what I read are simple to operate. I would steer clear from a conventional boiler.

I just got done installing an indoor gasification boiler in my basement, after lots of looking around. I had looked at going with an OWB, but the new regulations here in NY made that a pretty darn expensive proposition.

If I had the $ I would have loved a Garn. There is one called a Froiling out there that is whats called a lambda controlled boiler, it basically has an oxygen sensor in the exhaust and tunes the air intakes to maximize the burn. Thats also quite a bit of $, so I dont have one of those.

For outdoor gassers, Classic makes one (the E-Classic), Portage & Main is supposed to have a nice unit, and Econoburn also makes an outdoor model. The thing with gasifiers is that they really need dry wood, so you need to make sure you have a place to keep it under cover. They are more of a pain to keep burning in the sweet spot, but the efficiencies are pretty good I would say.

I have been looking at the GARN and found that you have to light it every time you load it? That seems different, but maybe it has to do with efficiency? I will look at the portage and Main. Thanks for the leads!

I have been looking at the GARN and found that you have to light it every time you load it? That seems different, but maybe it has to do with efficiency? I will look at the portage and Main. Thanks for the leads!

Yep, thats right. The Garn wants to burn a full load of wood all at once, full out. It has several hundred gallons of water, and you heat all that up. Then that water heats your house. When it gets cold, you light it up again. It doesnt modulate to maintain a temp like some of the others do as an efficiency thing. So no creosote or smoking that way.

My Mahoning OWB holds 290 gallons of water that is circulated to 2 zones for heating my 2900 sq. ft. house. I am also heating my domestic hot water. I start it around the first of October and usually shut it down in April. I am burning around 8 to 10 cords of wood on average.

I would look into closed loop systems, longer life, longer warranty, less repairs better quality. If open loop central , portage& main, garn ( too big, needs its own outbuilding and OMG price) they are excellent units tho. Whatever you do have your system designed professionally, controls,efficiency,size-heat load. Miss any of these and you won't get the efficiency claims they advertise.

What is the difference in a closed loop compared to an open loop? I was looking to put an outdoor wood boiler indoor of a enclosed lean-to on my pole barn. I agree with having a professional design the system as that only makes sense. I just want the best quality system that is efficient given my needs. Does anyone have any experience with the e-classic 2400 or 3200? I have looked into the Garn, but i don't like the idea of letting it die out before you refill it with wood. i also have looked at the shaver, portage and main, and harvey wood boilers, but they don't seem to have the efficiency that the gasification boilers have. Thanks for all of those that have been giving information in this post much appreciated!:msp_biggrin:

I run a Thermo control boiler , its in my garage but I heat the house with it. Was cheap(2500) when I bought it (2003)though not so cheap now. It burns clean as long as I am working it and not just idling all day.

-Check out the Tarm boilers. They are also gasification boilers, and have external 800-1200 gallon storage tanks. i have been using the Tarm excel 2300 boiler for 6 years now, and don't use any oil. As the previous posters said, this type of boiler needs very dry wood to work best, but I found that 2 year-old wood kept under a tarp (just the top) works very well. The Tarm boiler runs around $15k parts plus labor. Make sure that you get a plumber who knows how to install any gasification boiler. They are a little tricky, but the technicians at Tarm will gladly talk to your plumber to make sure it goes smoothly. I will caution you that these boilers are a little tricky to use, but once you learn them, they are very stingy on wood, adn work really well.

What is the difference in a closed loop compared to an open loop? I was looking to put an outdoor wood boiler indoor of a enclosed lean-to on my pole barn. I agree with having a professional design the system as that only makes sense. I just want the best quality system that is efficient given my needs. Does anyone have any experience with the e-classic 2400 or 3200? I have looked into the Garn, but i don't like the idea of letting it die out before you refill it with wood. i also have looked at the shaver, portage and main, and harvey wood boilers, but they don't seem to have the efficiency that the gasification boilers have. Thanks for all of those that have been giving information in this post much appreciated!:msp_biggrin:

A closed loop system is sealed, and requires expansion tanks. An open loop system is open to the atmosphere, or essentially non-pressurized. No tanks needed, but you have to treat your water more carefully, since oxygen can constantly enter the water. Not too big of a deal, but open systems are more susceptible to corrosion if you arent careful. Lots of folks have run them for years with no problems.

I wouldnt worry too much about lighting a fire every day, since its pretty quick with a propane torch. Portage and Main do make a gasifier version of their OWB.

Wood Gasification Water Furnaces | Boilers

So does Econoburn

Alternative Fuel Boilers - wood burning boilers

Not trying to steer you away from any of the Central Boiler stuff, just throwing out other options. Tibikedad makes some good points on the Tarm, especially since you are looking to enclose a lean-to to make a boiler room. Depending on how you insulate that, you could consider using an "indoor" boiler there.

I like my central boiler. With that being said, i didn't know anything about boilers or even wood burning. If doing it over again, I would investigate heavily on other units. It would probably steer me back to my central though.

Thanks Clarkbug that is exactly what i am after just getting names of different boilers so that i can narrow it down to a few to fit my needs. The closed look seems like a better solution as i thought they were all closed systems. I am going to install geo-thermal possibly for in-floor and plenum heat in the house just incase i get an injury to my back, but i am undecided. Is there any way that you can hook the in-floor up to operate off both the boiler and geo? I would like to know because i want to know which one would be best to hook up to the infloor heat and which to put in the plenum. :msp_confused:

Back