wood cutting clothes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate66n1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is the first time I started a thread in this section but I figured this would be the best place to ask. I was just wondering what for jeans/shirts you all like the best for cutting. I've been looking all through the web and can't decide which way to go. To many choices I suppose but I do like the carhartt clothing even though it's not made in the USA. So opinions are welcome. Thanks Nate

What works for me is, a good pair of plain leather "logger" boots with a good heel and tread, or corks if not going to be in and out of machinery. Heavy jeans, I have Carhartt, Key and Wild Ass jeans I wear to the woods, stagged off of course! Sometimes I wear hickory shirts, sometimes I don't. Chaps and a hardhat are a must, especially when running a power saw. Pretty much "standard" logger attire. I ganked (is gank a word?) a good deal of stuff from the PNW guys (not only because I have a man crush on em ;) ) but because I am in the woods all day 6-7 days a week and it works for me too. I figure you need every advantage to stay safe out here you can get.

This is what works for me.

Others mileage may vary,
Tom

KYLogger said it pretty well. One difference with Wild Ass jeans is their big pockets tend to fill up with wood chips. They're plenty loose and comfortable. Keys, well, I like Keys. If you're on the slim side, suspenders may not be necessary. On the other hand, they do a good job of holding up the fort.

Last edited:
Right now I just wear whatever is comfortable, none of my jeans are double fronts though. I do wear the chaps,hard hat and eye protection when cutting.

Key jeans are good. Wild ass jeans are holding up good. I have some prison blues on the way to try. The key singles have lasted about 2 years for me working as a welder and cutting wood on the side. Much tougher than carhartts at half the price.

And no "clip-on" suspenders unless you're over 70 or live somewhere East of the Rockies. The only guy here who can get away with wearing clip-ons is RandyMac... because he's RandyMac.

You can wear clip on suspenders on your chaps to help hold them up.

View attachment 308592

A real faller:bowdown: here cutting road hazard trees. He's not certified. :clap: I think he'd want me to tell you that.
308593d1376056292-bob-day0001-jpg

308594d1376056296-bob-day0001_1-jpg

View attachment 308593View attachment 308594

Last edited:
good boots (nearly knee high), pants (key), a shirt (black or blue), hickory shirt if its cold or the sticker bushes are deep, hoody if its colder, spenders, tin hat (not generally worn for fire wood cutting...), and a sneer:msp_sneaky:

Thanks for all the info, im definitely no professional faller or even a logger at that. Guess I would be a so called weekend warrior but I like cutting wood for our stove here at the race shop. Every once in a while I help some friends out with their land. I was just looking to get a little more durable clothes then a pair of wranglers and a t-shirt. I think I might order a pair of the wild ass doubles and a hickory shirt for in the fall.

Washing them after every use isn't always practical either. If you get enough of the cutting combination...sweat, bar oil, dust, wood chips, another layer of bar oil, some snoose dribbles, a splash of diesel, a little more bar oil, some coffee, a few chocolate smears from Donetto crumbs, still more bar oil, and an additional layer or two of sweat and dirt and diesel they won't wash clean anyway. Ever.

You'd need a new set of clothes for every day of the week if you washed every day! Better to just tough it out as long as you, and the people around you on a warm day, can stand it.

Plus if it it rains those clothes will be darn near water proof and I think the mosquitoes and no-see-ums leave you alone better too.

If your cutting clothes get really funky, and I mean to the point where the wife refuses to put them in her washing machine, just throw them down in a corner of the back porch and let the dog sleep on them. They seem to like that.

Washing them after every use isn't always practical either. If you get enough of the cutting combination...sweat, bar oil, dust, wood chips, another layer of bar oil, some snoose dribbles, a splash of diesel, a little more bar oil, some coffee, a few chocolate smears from Donetto crumbs, still more bar oil, and an additional layer or two of sweat and dirt and diesel they won't wash clean anyway. Ever.

You'd need a new set of clothes for every day of the week if you washed every day! Better to just tough it out as long as you, and the people around you on a warm day, can stand it.

Plus if it it rains those clothes will be darn near water proof and I think the mosquitoes and no-see-ums leave you alone better too.

If your cutting clothes get really funky, and I mean to the point where the wife refuses to put them in her washing machine, just throw them down in a corner of the back porch and let the dog sleep on them. They seem to like that.

You forgot a little bit of Copenhagen on those clothes:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back