Wood-Fired Electricity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thought crossed my mind the other day while contemplating this subject. I ASSume it won't work or I would have heard of it. But it seems like it might be possible?

No, a ICE turbocharger uses energy from the expanding combustion gases exiting the cylinder, which is sealed by the intake valve(s) so the only place the exhaust can go is out the exhaust valve and into the pipe. A wood burner is essentially open to atmosphere on both ends, and uses the movement of rising heated air for exhaust. A turbocharger in the flue would just be like a shut damper.

It obviously wouldn't be an actual turbocharger, but somethinng of the like that would be sensative enough to be spun efficiently at the flue draft rates.

You would think just a piece of chimney pipe changed to a piece with fan blades inside would generate electricity.
Pressure from the stack effect should run small blades tucked into a standard 6" pipe as part of the chimney.
Electrics to do that would be interesting as it's a pretty nasty enviorment for blades and electrical parts.

Bet it would be a small return for 1, but 10 of them in a chimney might be another story.

Compressed air batteries/closed system fluid heated with wood for hot water

Utility companies use compressed air to store energy and generate electricity -- a scroll generator provides good power -- system sold by a UK company is pricey for residential uses -- a combined heat and power system to also generate compressed air (to power a generator) is interesting to think about....again the think system but there are many efforts abroad that show the technology promise and don't have to deal with obstructionist government/corporatist policies

You would think just a piece of chimney pipe changed to a piece with fan blades inside would generate electricity.
Pressure from the stack effect should run small blades tucked into a standard 6" pipe as part of the chimney.
Electrics to do that would be interesting as it's a pretty nasty enviorment for blades and electrical parts.

Bet it would be a small return for 1, but 10 of them in a chimney might be another story.

I'd bet you couldn't charge your cell phone with 20 of them...

John

jthornton,

I don't know if we only got 10 watts a fan then 10 is 100 watts.

100 watts X 100 days X 24 hrs.

240,000 watts free electricity over a season.
Might knock a month or two off an electricity bill and asking for just 10 watts a fan i think is respectable.
Startup costs for doing it i bet would take a couple years to recoup.

No giant technical leap though IMO.

Back