Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dodge 5 and 6 speeds easily handle double there torque rating everyday with a little common sense.

i'm sorry but i'm gonna need something to back this statement up. in what real world situation could you possibly run 1200ft/lbs of force through any tranny in a pick-up? yes you can build a motor making 2000ft/lbs of torque and pull 20,000lbs or burn the tires off, but that does not mean 2000ft/lbs (or 1200ft/lbs in this case) of torsional force are being applied to the tranny. do you guys realize in essence what you're saying is you can lock the output shaft and apply 1200ft/lbs to the input shaft and not break anything? all while very learned and well paid engineers say you can't because it wasn't designed to? this isn't a ford vs chevy debate, this is math and engineering where a given material can withstand a certain force before it breaks.

The Dodge 5 and 6 speeds easily handle double there torque rating everyday with a little common sense.The 5 speeds had a weak 5th gear nut setup.people who tow real heavy and those who lug there engines had the most issues with 5th gear.

I believe what you are saying is as long as you are careful and never jump on the throttle, thus babying it, never full throttling it you can run a reliable truck with that much torque. I would agree, however what is the point of having the power and not being able to use it???

The bottom line is this, the more power you put to a tranny, and the harder and heavier you pull with it, the sooner it will wear out or break. You could put a one ton truck tranny is a vw and it and the clutch would never wear out. Now put the same tranny back in a one ton truck and pull hard in the mountains or off road with it pulling 30,000 plus pounds and see how long it will last.

My other thought is if you just want a play toy and not a real work truck this would be fine. Soup it up all you want. However the more anything is hot rodded the less reliable it becomes. Then there is the real world aspect of you cannot use 1200 ft/lbs of torque on a regular pickup, you lack the traction to put it to the ground, once again making all that power useless. Just depends on if you want a toy or a truck. Either is fine, as I have had both, but you cannot have both in the same pickup. Reliable hard working truck, or high powered short lived useless toy. A work truck does day in and day out what needs doing. A toy's only use is to put a smile on your face. You could also go middle of the road and it would do neither very well.

A modded Dodge Cummins is a very reliable truck as long as turbo boost is kept within the limits of the headgasket......Make no mistake people use these trucks and use them hard...towing loads with ease that most trucks struggle with, no one mods them and then never uses the additional power... Jumping on the throttle on a modded cummins doesn't do much exc smoke for a few seconds ...shock loading really isn't an issue,even deliberately sidestepping the clutch at max rpms.. there isn't enough fuel and boost to do much until the loads on it a second..then the power will build....and the full torque isn't available in the first few gears anyway unless you have a monster trailer ...the truck alone just can't place enough of a load on the cummins to make it build full power until your up to speed .
FYI my modded Dodge Cummins has an auto trans, I've personally modded it and my truck has made over 600hp at the ground and between 1100-1500 ft lbs at the rear tires...since 2004.....its been stone reliable and I plow and tow...I even drag raced sled pulled for 3 years on and off.....so don't say it can't be done..it's being done everywhere all the time....btw the torque rating on my auto is 420ft lbs....the stock max torque it had from Dodge.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A modded Dodge Cummins is a very reliable truck as long as turbo boost is kept within the limits of the headgasket......Make no mistake people use these trucks and use them hard...towing loads with ease that most trucks struggle with, no one mods them and then never uses the additional power... Jumping on the throttle on a modded cummins doesn't do much exc smoke for a few seconds ...shock loading really isn't an issue,even deliberately sidestepping the clutch at max rpms.. there isn't enough fuel and boost to do much until the loads on it a second..then the power will build....and the full torque isn't available in the first few gears anyway unless you have a monster trailer ...the truck alone just can't place enough of a load on the cummins to make it build full power until your up to speed .
FYI my modded Dodge Cummins has an auto trans, I've personally modded it and my truck has made over 600hp at the ground and between 1100-1500 ft lbs at the rear tires...since 2004.....its been stone reliable and I plow and tow...I even drag raced sled pulled for 3 years on and off.....so don't say it can't be done..it's being done everywhere all the time....btw the torque rating on my auto is 420ft lbs....the stock max torque it had from Dodge.

Exactly, there are litterally TONS of Cummins trucks on the road with 6-700HP/1200-1500ft-lbs of torque that are DAILY DRIVERS. Like I stated before, a friend of mines truck (the automatic with twin turbos), is his daily driver. He beats the dog crap out of that truck.

YET, he doesn't hesitate to hop in and take it across 2 states to pick up new implements. Now that should say something right there about reliability, doesn't it?

Depending upon what generation Cummins (engine configuration), they are dead nuts reliable. Mine, for instance, is the 5.9L with the VP44 injection pump. Common knowledge the VP44s live short lives when the stock lift pumps go out. Also, they were designed for 500ppm sulfur diesel fuels, not this ULSD 15ppm crap, so I run 2-stroke oil to raise the lubrication point of the ULSD fuel to keep the VP44 lubed up. Run them low on pressure, they die a quick death. Once that problem is taken care of, it's smooth sailing from there to make as much power as your wallet allows.

There's a reason that Cummins-powered Dodge trucks are known to go well over 1 million miles WITHOUT being rebuilt. They CAN handle it.

Try that with a Powerstroke or a Duramax...lol

that thing looks good loaded down

I had a Polaris Ranger XP.
It was fun to haul with and quite handy, but it wouldn't handle a load like that RTV

it would still haul quite a bit though
definitely had to run the rear diff unlocked because if you loaded it like this (this load was all oak) with the rear locked, you couldn't steer worth a darn LOL

DSC00240.jpg

Exactly, there are litterally TONS of Cummins trucks on the road with 6-700HP/1200-1500ft-lbs of torque that are DAILY DRIVERS. Like I stated before, a friend of mines truck (the automatic with twin turbos), is his daily driver. He beats the dog crap out of that truck.

YET, he doesn't hesitate to hop in and take it across 2 states to pick up new implements. Now that should say something right there about reliability, doesn't it?

Depending upon what generation Cummins (engine configuration), they are dead nuts reliable. Mine, for instance, is the 5.9L with the VP44 injection pump. Common knowledge the VP44s live short lives when the stock lift pumps go out. Also, they were designed for 500ppm sulfur diesel fuels, not this ULSD 15ppm crap, so I run 2-stroke oil to raise the lubrication point of the ULSD fuel to keep the VP44 lubed up. Run them low on pressure, they die a quick death. Once that problem is taken care of, it's smooth sailing from there to make as much power as your wallet allows.

There's a reason that Cummins-powered Dodge trucks are known to go well over 1 million miles WITHOUT being rebuilt. They CAN handle it.

Try that with a Powerstroke or a Duramax...lol

first, how did we go from what a tranny can reliably handle to what a cummins can reliably make? second, nobody has said you can't have 1200ft/lbs and run the truck on the street or in the field because neither produce conditions where the tranny actually sees the 1200ft/lbs of force.

i don't know much about deisel's but i'm not sure i agree that a given engine won't make it's most torque unless it is properly loaded to do so. and again just because my 350 make 900hp and 700ft/lbs doesn't mean i'm using it all every time i leave a red light.

Not sure what load you are towing that other trucks are struggling with?? You would have to be way outside the legal limit to have a duramax struggle with a load. My last load using dad's duramax was outside the legal limit and it didn't have the slightest trouble towing at interstate speeds. I had a GVW of 46,020 lbs with 31,020 lbs on the trailer in concrete railroad ties. Even the allison kept it at the speed set at 6% downgrades without using the brakes at all. This is with over 200K of pulling heavy trailers, it doesn't move unless hooked to something.

Guess I don't understand what you are saying about full torque not being reached in first couple of gears, and the trailer dictating how much torque the engine builds??? So if I hook the truck to my wheelbarrow it won't build hardly any torque, but if I pull a fully loaded 80,000 lbs semi it will produce more torque?? Seems to me torque is based on the amount of usable fuel and boost given to an engine not how much it tows.

The bottom line is this, that much power is great for pleasing crowds, throwing smoke in the air, wasting fuel, and burning off $250 tires, it is however useless in a pickup. You cannot put the power to the ground. Any real world towing or uses, you would only be using a fraction of the hp/torque you would be making. So basically you spent all that money souping the truck up, only to be able to use slightly above what a stock truck has for hp/torque. Any professional driver will tell you making hp/torque is the easy part, but putting it to use on the ground is the hard part. Lets just say you did put the power to the ground, that much power would rip apart any pickup out their. That is why you got away with sled racing, your tires were spinning the whole time thus dumping the amount of torque that the drive line had, putting way less pressure on the system. Plus, with sled pulling, the sled starts light, then as you go it gets heavier. Instead of using actual pulling power like you would in the real world you are using momentum to pull the sled. Every other load in the real world is hardest to pull once it is stopped, and gets easier to a certain extent after the set speed is reached, at which point you are only maintaining the speed. Try taking off after pulling a sled with the weight on the truck starting heavy, you wont even move the sled and will be spinning out like crazy. Better yet pull the sled like you would in real life, something that heavy you would put your truck in 4 low first gear and see how far you can pull the sled using actual power instead of momentum. Like I said choose what you are going to do with your truck, makes no matter to me. There is a price to pay, for everything you want, you have to give something up.

I use my HEAVY half ton Chevrolet to pull/haul loads that regular 1 ton trucks only dream about. My engine only makes just over 120hp and I have a hard time depending on conditions putting the power to the ground.

Bottom line anything can be done, but just because it can be done does not necessary mean you should. Cummins is a good engine sure, but no matter what is is, the harder you use anything the shorter lifespan it has, period.

first, how did we go from what a tranny can reliably handle to what a cummins can reliably make? second, nobody has said you can't have 1200ft/lbs and run the truck on the street or in the field because neither produce conditions where the tranny actually sees the 1200ft/lbs of force.

i don't know much about deisel's but i'm not sure i agree that a given engine won't make it's most torque unless it is properly loaded to do so. and again just because my 350 make 900hp and 700ft/lbs doesn't mean i'm using it all every time i leave a red light.

My bad, I got a little excited there! :hmm3grin2orange:

Actually yes, both conditions often create circumstances where the truck can see maximum torque. Let me explain in a little more detail since you stated you don't know much about diesel's. A diesel engine can, and will, run just fine without spooling the turbo. Does it create as much power without any boost? Heck no it doesn't. Now throw your foot to the floor and build some boost, and up goes you're power output because it's being loaded more. More load = more fuel and more fuel equates to more boost as exhaust gas temps steadily get higher. Hotter exhaust gasses spin the turbo faster which in turn leads to more boost. So yes, the more load a turbo-diesel engine sees, the more power it will make.

That's the reason I see zero boost on my guages when I'm unloaded and lightfooting it, and I can see the wastegate regulate boost to 20psi when I'm pulling an 8k load. My engine will NOT make 505ft-lbs of torque at 1/4 throttle and 0psi boost. It has to be boosted (loaded) to see that.

When you see a truck on a dyno, it will not make it's max power, or anything close to it, if the dyno rollers are freespinning. That's how dyno's work. They apply a load to the drive wheels of a vehicle for that very reason.

Guess I don't understand what you are saying about full torque not being reached in first couple of gears, and the trailer dictating how much torque the engine builds??? So if I hook the truck to my wheelbarrow it won't build hardly any torque, but if I pull a fully loaded 80,000 lbs semi it will produce more torque?? Seems to me torque is based on the amount of usable fuel and boost given to an engine not how much it tows.

You nailed it. As I said above, a turbo-diesel engine will make more power as load increases because as load increases, fuel delivery (and consumption) goes up, as does boost. That's one way more power is made in diesels. Add a boost-fooling programmer that fools the computer into thinking the engine is making more boost than it really is and what does it do? It dumps more fuel into the engine. More fuel = more boost, and yadda yadda yadda.

The engine most likely won't see full torque in the first couple of gears because the torque multiplication between the crank and wheels is so great due to the gear ratios not only in the transmission itself, whether it be an automatic or manual, but also in the rear end. When torque multiplication is highest, which just happens to be in low gears, the engine doesn't have to work as hard. That creates a situation where the engine isn't loaded as much, and you can probably finish my sentance by reading what I posted above in regards to chopperfreaks comment.

Once the transmission is shifted into a direct drive (closest to 1:1 overall ratio) or even into overdrive (less than 1:1) it has to work harder, and will make more useable power. Again, on a dyno, the pulls are made in whichever gear is closest to that 1:1 because anything more, or less will fudge the numbers because the torque multiplication starts becoming a factor. If there isn't an available 1:1 gear ratio, then whatever is closest is used and the dyno is adjusted for the difference. I ran a dyno for 2 years and I can easily give a Ford Pinto 500hp by fudging the numbers a little. Okay, alot.

Now, I'm not saying you can't load the motor up in low gears, it's just harder because you have that torque multiplication helping you get everything rolling.

I'm definately NOT an expert in this. But we could chat the topic up for hours and hours.

You cannot put the power to the ground. Any real world towing or uses, you would only be using a fraction of the hp/torque you would be making. So basically you spent all that money souping the truck up, only to be able to use slightly above what a stock truck has for hp/torque. Any professional driver will tell you making hp/torque is the easy part, but putting it to use on the ground is the hard part. Lets just say you did put the power to the ground, that much power would rip apart any pickup out their. That is why you got away with sled racing, your tires were spinning the whole time thus dumping the amount of torque that the drive line had, putting way less pressure on the system. Plus, with sled pulling, the sled starts light, then as you go it gets heavier. Instead of using actual pulling power like you would in the real world you are using momentum to pull the sled. Every other load in the real world is hardest to pull once it is stopped, and gets easier to a certain extent after the set speed is reached, at which point you are only maintaining the speed. Try taking off after pulling a sled with the weight on the truck starting heavy, you wont even move the sled and will be spinning out like crazy. Better yet pull the sled like you would in real life, something that heavy you would put your truck in 4 low first gear and see how far you can pull the sled using actual power instead of momentum. Like I said choose what you are going to do with your truck, makes no matter to me. There is a price to pay, for everything you want, you have to give something up.

I use my HEAVY half ton Chevrolet to pull/haul loads that regular 1 ton trucks only dream about. My engine only makes just over 120hp and I have a hard time depending on conditions putting the power to the ground.

Bottom line anything can be done, but just because it can be done does not necessary mean you should. Cummins is a good engine sure, but no matter what is is, the harder you use anything the shorter lifespan it has, period.

If you could only "be able to use slightly above what a stock truck has for hp/torque" then why are guys putting 1200HP/2100ft-lbs of torque through these trucks? A dyno measures what is literally put to the ground through the tires. It is a LITERAL measurement power to the ground. I know we kinda got off the whole "stock rated tranny" thing here lol but it's an interesting debate.

Also, you can't forget that a sled is dead weight once the weight reaches the front (actually way before that). It has no wheels to help. That's a HUGE difference. Put 10k lbs on a trailer with wheels and sure, you're 1/2 ton Chebby could pull it. Slam that trailer into the dirt with no tires and see what happens.

Heck if you're 1/2 ton Chebby can pull loads a 1 ton can "only dream about" then you ought to enter that pig in a local sled pulling competition and see what happens. :msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Also, you can't forget that a sled is dead weight once the weight reaches the front (actually way before that). It has no wheels to help. That's a HUGE difference. Put 10k lbs on a trailer with wheels and sure, you're 1/2 ton Chebby could pull it. Slam that trailer into the dirt with no tires and see what happens.

i don't think any truck deisel or not could do anything with that. but on a sled, once it's moving...

If you could only "be able to use slightly above what a stock truck has for hp/torque" then why are guys putting 1200HP/2100ft-lbs of torque through these trucks? A dyno measures what is literally put to the ground through the tires. It is a LITERAL measurement power to the ground. I know we kinda got off the whole "stock rated tranny" thing here lol but it's an interesting debate.

Heck if you're 1/2 ton Chebby can pull loads a 1 ton can "only dream about" then you ought to enter that pig in a local sled pulling competition and see what happens. :msp_thumbup:

Ok the reason for the extra hp/torque is these trucks lack the go-nads to just pull the sled like you would in real life. I don't care what brand you drive. The extra hp/torque is not being fully used (being fully put to the ground) hence the wheels spinning dirt everywhere. A pickup is not heavy enough to put full power down. You are not getting full hook up to the ground. Instead they use momentum to pull the sled once it gets heavy. Using diesels they also have to keep their rpms up, their turbo spooling, and thus need more hp/torque to do so because a load is being placed on the truck as they go, hence why their tires spin the whole time. This works great for pulling a sled but is useless is day to day life. For example when pulling a tree out to where you can cut it, does the tree weigh less at at the start then put on weight as you go faster? Nope. Do you really spin all four wheels leaving huge trenches whenever you pull a tree? Nope. Why because you use granny low 4wd like everyone else.

Now, actually, a dyno measures how much potential power you theoretically have, not how much power you are putting to the ground. If you put 1200 ft/lbs of power to the ground something would break period. Means no tires spinning a full 1200 ft/lbs being fully delivered to the ground. Can you say boom!:msp_thumbup:

Now you are right a 10k trailer is easier to pull with wheels on it, and harder to pull without them. I would prefer not to tow a trailer and just load the 10K in my truck bed. Now like I said I am not picking on dodge and mean no disrespect, just saying what really happens outside in the real world.

That being said I will offer this up to you. Three real world challenges
1.) Take and load as much wood as your dodge can hold in back, probably would suggest using a stock rack or side boards.

Now drive your dodge in back of my HEAVY half ton and I will drive you around the block and maybe do some off roading.

After we unload your dodge I will drive my HEAVY half ton in back of your pickup, and well that would be the end of the dodge.

2.)A pull off. Put some weight in back of your dodge and we will back up together and play tug of war, first gear granny vs first gear granny like you would in the real world.

3.)Pulling dead weight. Like you said have a 10k trailer without wheels and we will see who can pull it the furthest.

WARNING; Now keep in mind I would easily win all three of these real world tests, and we would be doing it for pinks. Meaning I would have a dodge I would have to park out on the street and try to sell:biggrin:

Oh and I did enter it into a local sled pull but I am not allowed to pull against the dodge boys, or Fords, or other Chevy's for that matter. I did it just to see what it would pull although they disqualified me shortly after I picked the sled up off the ground about a foot, and then the sled operator put the brakes on the trailer which weighs I believe 35K. I wanted to pull it the rest of the way don't know why he stopped me? I was in a class all by myself. After all the stock motor, trans, and transfer case weigh as much as you whole dodge does:rock: Like I said not doing Chevy vs dodge vs ford just saying real world, I could put a top fuel dragster engine in my Chevy Cavalier and drive it to work, but could never use all the power, if I did something would go up in smoke.

Oh I forgot I have a video of it pulling, if you really need me to put it up I will.

Last edited:
Well, I don't need it...

Ok the reason for the extra hp/torque is these trucks lack the go-nads to just pull the sled like you would in real life. I don't care what brand you drive. The extra hp/torque is not being fully used (being fully put to the ground) hence the wheels spinning dirt everywhere. A pickup is not heavy enough to put full power down. You are not getting full hook up to the ground. Instead they use momentum to pull the sled once it gets heavy. Using diesels they also have to keep their rpms up, their turbo spooling, and thus need more hp/torque to do so because a load is being placed on the truck as they go, hence why their tires spin the whole time. This works great for pulling a sled but is useless is day to day life. For example when pulling a tree out to where you can cut it, does the tree weigh less at at the start then put on weight as you go faster? Nope. Do you really spin all four wheels leaving huge trenches whenever you pull a tree? Nope. Why because you use granny low 4wd like everyone else.

Now, actually, a dyno measures how much potential power you theoretically have, not how much power you are putting to the ground. If you put 1200 ft/lbs of power to the ground something would break period. Means no tires spinning a full 1200 ft/lbs being fully delivered to the ground. Can you say boom!:msp_thumbup:

Now you are right a 10k trailer is easier to pull with wheels on it, and harder to pull without them. I would prefer not to tow a trailer and just load the 10K in my truck bed. Now like I said I am not picking on dodge and mean no disrespect, just saying what really happens outside in the real world.

That being said I will offer this up to you. Three real world challenges
1.) Take and load as much wood as your dodge can hold in back, probably would suggest using a stock rack or side boards.

Now drive your dodge in back of my HEAVY half ton and I will drive you around the block and maybe do some off roading.

After we unload your dodge I will drive my HEAVY half ton in back of your pickup, and well that would be the end of the dodge.

2.)A pull off. Put some weight in back of your dodge and we will back up together and play tug of war, first gear granny vs first gear granny like you would in the real world.

3.)Pulling dead weight. Like you said have a 10k trailer without wheels and we will see who can pull it the furthest.

WARNING; Now keep in mind I would easily win all three of these real world tests, and we would be doing it for pinks. Meaning I would have a dodge I would have to park out on the street and try to sell:biggrin:

Oh and I did enter it into a local sled pull but I am not allowed to pull against the dodge boys, or Fords, or other Chevy's for that matter. I did it just to see what it would pull although they disqualified me shortly after I picked the sled up off the ground about a foot, and then the sled operator put the brakes on the trailer which weighs I believe 35K. I wanted to pull it the rest of the way don't know why he stopped me? I was in a class all by myself. After all the stock motor, trans, and transfer case weigh as much as you whole dodge does:rock: Like I said not doing Chevy vs dodge vs ford just saying real world, I could put a top fuel dragster engine in my Chevy Cavalier and drive it to work, but could never use all the power, if I did something would go up in smoke.

Oh I forgot I have a video of it pulling, if you really need me to put it up I will.

....but I would sure like to see a vid of your truck!

I've been looking and just can't find a decent affordable for me deal on a deuce, so I guess what I have is what I will work with. It is starting out as a half ton chevy, we'll see later on how it evolves.

Ok zogger Here It Is!

Sorry my camera man was not very good, and to boot he is part of the Kodak familey LOL. Now watch it pull the sled plum off the ground then he hit he brakes.
[video=youtube;YpRRTwyK_fw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRRTwyK_fw[/video]
Two feet of Mud??? Sure why not! Oh and I did get invited back to the mud bog to pull stuck vehicles out next year! Yeah free bogging
[video=youtube;KBGwpdjRTJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBGwpdjRTJo[/video]

they claim this thing can haul 5 full cords at a time?
is this thing even legal ?
must take a few hours to stack it all on there

kodiak_wood_hauler3.jpg

kodiak_wood_hauler2.jpg

kodiak_wood_hauler1.jpg

woodenbikeman.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back