Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry my camera man was not very good, and to boot he is part of the Kodak familey LOL. Now watch it pull the sled plum off the ground then he hit he brakes.

Two feet of Mud??? Sure why not! Oh and I did get invited back to the mud bog to pull stuck vehicles out next year! Yeah free bogging

---way cool! Cool vids man! Mud truck, with nads! Two feet deep, we got that covered! hehehehe

That's why I want one..but then I'd have to fix all the ruts all over...hmmm..decisions decisions..hmmm..I still want one! hahahaha

not one of them, but I have a real life mud truck story. Not mine, what saved my @$$ets...

Out hog hunting mid georgia in my 2wd shortbed little silverado I had one time. Was hunting in a wildlife management area. Now I *know* this ain't no mud truck, so I am being careful,but the roads are not familiar to me (jeep roads). Go over the crest of this hill, the surface was hard but underneath was pure hip deep mud! Broke through, slid to the bottom of the hill and oozed deep into the swamp. I slid down that hill like sledding on snow..just a little slower..gooosh! gurgle gurgle gurgle..slimed. Climb out the window deep, that nasty. Wading in mud, with a handy creek right there..just lovely...just about exactly hip deep on me there...

This is the mother of all "stucks" I have ever seen or been in, with a regular truck or car. I goofed around a little with all my ropes and tow straps and a comealong trying to get branches under the wheels, etc..man, that was a waste of time, gave up quick. So I am like miles from anyplace. Pre cellphone days for me..

I pack up my gear, took the barrel off my 12 bore, packed that as well, all goes into a pack. I like hung a t shirt over the barrel and tucked it in. I hikes out. I am totally slimed with mud, head to foot by now. Finally get close to the entrance and someone gives me a ride to the ranger station, I get there, tell them my predicament and approx where I am stuck. MUCH laughing and "good lucks" all around.

Great...mumble. Back out to the road, hitch to nearest town,(I am riding in the backs of pickups only to do this) get a greydog bus ride home (today arrested for homerland security violations proly packing all that stuff and looking weird...). Get GF to drive me back in that area the next day and NO ONE could get down there and pull me out. I tried every tow service I could find locally. They didn't even want to bother to go look.

Go home. Go back the next day, this is day 3 now, finally get some local bubbas with their 4wds to come out. We get THREE trucks chained together on the top of the hill, get enough combo big ropes, straps, chains, cables, down to my truck and ..nada. 12 wheels on some decent rigs just spinning.

Go home. freaking out now, thinking I may have to dissemble the thing, hire a helicopter, something.... drive back down again, start looking for big pieces of equipment, I am gonna try to hire someone with something can get down there. No luck, even guys with crawlers don't want to do it. I mean, I am offering good cash money for this, too. Driving by a chevy garage, something told me to swing in and poke around. Go to the back,l see the mechanics, say "hey, anyone around here got a BIG &^%$%^ MUD truck, might want to make some cash"?? They all look at each other, "ya, guy used to work here, got the dang biggest mud truck you ever seen".

Sose I get directions and find this garage (he is independent now, mostly builds custom vettes and so on) and there sits Grandfather of Bigfoot! Except it was a chevy... I mean a dang whopper, need a ladder to get in the thing. I am not kidding. Guy says he built if for swamp coon hunting, and just because he could. He said he gets away with driving it on the road local because the cops know they can ask him for favors once in awhile..otherwise, definitely not "street legal".

I 'splain what is up, he goes like "let's go"!! He's all enthused....we get there, he looks down "piece of cake". He drives down like he's on the highway, chains me up, and this big freekin NOISE happens and he ACCELERATES dragging me up hill, rooster tails of huge chunks and slime balls of the baddest meanest reddest georgia clay mud you ever seen flying out all over heck. UPHILL. A STEEP hill. Accelerating. Like nothing. Windshield and everything else gets buried in mud, I am in my truck play acting at steering staring at like six inches deep so far mud encrusted windshield (looking at it later and cleaning it off)....

Get to the top, I have one ton plus gobs of mud embedded in and on my truck. Try to give the guy a wad of cash, he wouldn't hear of it, just said , loosely paraphrased "return the favor to someone else one day when you can, besides, this stuff is fun"! We're all like laughing and whooping and staring at this sorta truck shaped gob of mud....so I get to scraping off some of it....

I was dropping fifty lb chunks of mud all the way home, then dropped like 20 bucks in quarters at the car wash blasting that stuff off, just to get to the point I could drive it to work the next day.... sorry no pics of that adventure, but in retrospect it was fun. Well, once it was out....no hogs..never been back either, last time I went hog hunting.

Your truck could have done it, too...I think..maybe.... But that pickup, man.....I see a lot of mud trucks around this state, but that one was amazing. He told me he had not got stuck in it, no matter where he took it.

they claim this thing can haul 5 full cords at a time?
is this thing even legal ?
must take a few hours to stack it all on there

kodiak_wood_hauler2.jpg

Pretty slick re-use of a beer truck. If that think hauled cases and kegs, I can see wood not being an issue weight-wise.

Legal?

Weight wise it could work. 5 cords seasoned should weigh under 20,000# so it's a reasonable payload on a truck with components rated for that load.

However without any sides...the words "Failure to secure a load" come to mind.

Legal?

Weight wise it could work. 5 cords seasoned should weigh under 20,000# so it's a reasonable payload on a truck with components rated for that load.

However without any sides...the words "Failure to secure a load" come to mind.

Pretty sure the wood is all nailed together using 4 inch nails thus making it one unit per compartment, just like hauling sheets of ply;)

Your truck could have done it, too...I think..maybe.... But that pickup, man.....I see a lot of mud trucks around this state, but that one was amazing. He told me he had not got stuck in it, no matter where he took it.

Zogger, in my mud boggin experience (plenty until I realized the $ I was spending breaking, fixing, upgrading, breaking something else, upgrading that, breaking somewhere else...ad infinium), the only mud truck that ain't been stuck is one with a driver that hasn't tried hard enough yet...

The worst stuck on my land was a duece framed, single rear axle mud truck with a 500hp big block Chev for power and 24,5-32 combine tires all around. Broke a front axle shaft in a deep spot and was goin nowhere. A day later, and 2 200HP farm tractors and a big cable weren't moving it, couldn't do anything but spin. We finally went to the construction yard down the road, and with applications of cash money, got a D-8 Cat involved. Between the 2 tractors and the dozer pulling with it's winch, she came out, minus the rear axle, which was still hung on something under the mud, likely a huge rock or stump...whatever it was is still down there, got the axle back though.

Somewhere, I got pics, need to find em and scan em. My mudding days were before video was common, but one friend has some film somewhere, maybe he's got it on the web somewhere now.

That being said I will offer this up to you. Three real world challenges
1.) Take and load as much wood as your dodge can hold in back, probably would suggest using a stock rack or side boards.

Now drive your dodge in back of my HEAVY half ton and I will drive you around the block and maybe do some off roading.

After we unload your dodge I will drive my HEAVY half ton in back of your pickup, and well that would be the end of the dodge.

2.)A pull off. Put some weight in back of your dodge and we will back up together and play tug of war, first gear granny vs first gear granny like you would in the real world.

3.)Pulling dead weight. Like you said have a 10k trailer without wheels and we will see who can pull it the furthest.

WARNING; Now keep in mind I would easily win all three of these real world tests, and we would be doing it for pinks. Meaning I would have a dodge I would have to park out on the street and try to sell:biggrin:

Oh and I did enter it into a local sled pull but I am not allowed to pull against the dodge boys, or Fords, or other Chevy's for that matter. I did it just to see what it would pull although they disqualified me shortly after I picked the sled up off the ground about a foot, and then the sled operator put the brakes on the trailer which weighs I believe 35K. I wanted to pull it the rest of the way don't know why he stopped me? I was in a class all by myself. After all the stock motor, trans, and transfer case weigh as much as you whole dodge does:rock: Like I said not doing Chevy vs dodge vs ford just saying real world, I could put a top fuel dragster engine in my Chevy Cavalier and drive it to work, but could never use all the power, if I did something would go up in smoke.

Oh I forgot I have a video of it pulling, if you really need me to put it up I will.

Haha I see what you did there. I like your HEAVY half ton :rock:

I think we can both agree that we disagree with each other on many levels. So we will just leave it at that and let this thread return to what it was.

It's not very often that I have engaged in such a debate that didn't end in people calling each other names and getting threads locked. One reason why I really really like this forum. Truly good people here. :msp_thumbup:

Oh and another thing. I wasn't debating Dodge vs Chebby vs Ford vs whatever. More of a diesel debate. If I had a Duramax (wouldn't be caught dead in a Chebby), or a Ford (that's a little better), I would have used them as an example instead. :D

Last edited:
i'm sorry but i'm gonna need something to back this statement up. in what real world situation could you possibly run 1200ft/lbs of force through any tranny in a pick-up? yes you can build a motor making 2000ft/lbs of torque and pull 20,000lbs or burn the tires off, but that does not mean 2000ft/lbs (or 1200ft/lbs in this case) of torsional force are being applied to the tranny. do you guys realize in essence what you're saying is you can lock the output shaft and apply 1200ft/lbs to the input shaft and not break anything? all while very learned and well paid engineers say you can't because it wasn't designed to? this isn't a ford vs chevy debate, this is math and engineering where a given material can withstand a certain force before it breaks.

I believe what you are saying is as long as you are careful and never jump on the throttle, thus babying it, never full throttling it you can run a reliable truck with that much torque. I would agree, however what is the point of having the power and not being able to use it???

The bottom line is this, the more power you put to a tranny, and the harder and heavier you pull with it, the sooner it will wear out or break. You could put a one ton truck tranny is a vw and it and the clutch would never wear out. Now put the same tranny back in a one ton truck and pull hard in the mountains or off road with it pulling 30,000 plus pounds and see how long it will last.

My other thought is if you just want a play toy and not a real work truck this would be fine. Soup it up all you want. However the more anything is hot rodded the less reliable it becomes. Then there is the real world aspect of you cannot use 1200 ft/lbs of torque on a regular pickup, you lack the traction to put it to the ground, once again making all that power useless. Just depends on if you want a toy or a truck. Either is fine, as I have had both, but you cannot have both in the same pickup. Reliable hard working truck, or high powered short lived useless toy. A work truck does day in and day out what needs doing. A toy's only use is to put a smile on your face. You could also go middle of the road and it would do neither very well.

A modded Dodge Cummins is a very reliable truck as long as turbo boost is kept within the limits of the headgasket......Make no mistake people use these trucks and use them hard...towing loads with ease that most trucks struggle with, no one mods them and then never uses the additional power... Jumping on the throttle on a modded cummins doesn't do much exc smoke for a few seconds ...shock loading really isn't an issue,even deliberately sidestepping the clutch at max rpms.. there isn't enough fuel and boost to do much until the loads on it a second..then the power will build....and the full torque isn't available in the first few gears anyway unless you have a monster trailer ...the truck alone just can't place enough of a load on the cummins to make it build full power until your up to speed .
FYI my modded Dodge Cummins has an auto trans, I've personally modded it and my truck has made over 600hp at the ground and between 1100-1500 ft lbs at the rear tires...since 2004.....its been stone reliable and I plow and tow...I even drag raced sled pulled for 3 years on and off.....so don't say it can't be done..it's being done everywhere all the time....btw the torque rating on my auto is 420ft lbs....the stock max torque it had from Dodge.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Exactly, there are litterally TONS of Cummins trucks on the road with 6-700HP/1200-1500ft-lbs of torque that are DAILY DRIVERS. Like I stated before, a friend of mines truck (the automatic with twin turbos), is his daily driver. He beats the dog crap out of that truck.

YET, he doesn't hesitate to hop in and take it across 2 states to pick up new implements. Now that should say something right there about reliability, doesn't it?

Depending upon what generation Cummins (engine configuration), they are dead nuts reliable. Mine, for instance, is the 5.9L with the VP44 injection pump. Common knowledge the VP44s live short lives when the stock lift pumps go out. Also, they were designed for 500ppm sulfur diesel fuels, not this ULSD 15ppm crap, so I run 2-stroke oil to raise the lubrication point of the ULSD fuel to keep the VP44 lubed up. Run them low on pressure, they die a quick death. Once that problem is taken care of, it's smooth sailing from there to make as much power as your wallet allows.

There's a reason that Cummins-powered Dodge trucks are known to go well over 1 million miles WITHOUT being rebuilt. They CAN handle it.

Try that with a Powerstroke or a Duramax...lol

....but I would sure like to see a vid of your truck!

I've been looking and just can't find a decent affordable for me deal on a deuce, so I guess what I have is what I will work with. It is starting out as a half ton chevy, we'll see later on how it evolves.

The dodges are pretty reliable at 5-600hp. I daily drove one for 25k miles at that power level and towed on the higher levels. When towing real heavy I turned down the programmer to keep egts in check. My friend bought it off me and has towed C60 dumptrucks and small 15 passenger school buses on a gooseneck. It's been sled pulled several times and broke nothing but a lever on the pressure plate after 30k miles. I* bought it new and it has 65k on it now. It has surprised several sports cars too.:D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nj_wP4je0Ck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

206566d1320936358-logs-001-jpg
Small load. On a non turbo diesel :O Hauled 3 loads like that. Other loads were just 3 logs a piece. At about 8' long. Gotta get brakes on the trailer!

Last edited:
Going downhill on a side road, mashed the pedal to stop for the red light, and I slid right on into the highway :) Not a good feeling!
88 F250 2wd with a 7.3, 60k on the motor and trans. 320K on the truck.
attachment.php

There is a shot of the logs we were haulin. Lots of firewood in them, if you have the means to handle them

my 88 4Runner V6 5 speed , works good for the small stuff , use the 2011 Tundra for bigger loads

miscnov2011103.jpg

miscnov2011104.jpg

hey richard, is that a Sears David Bradley trailer or is it the Ben Hurr version? Going to try and buy one this morning to pull behind my Jeep for getting wood from the the hard to reach places.

how do you like it? I was going to put some small sides on to haul more (but not so much I can't still easily unload it)

Unfortunately, the one I am looking at is in pretty rough shape. It has been patched on the front sides and the entire inside is lined with stainless sheet. Should still do what I want but it would be tough to restore it.

my latest woodhauler

bought this this morning for getting wood out of those tough spots with my Jeep
little rougher shape than I would have preferred but oh well-at least it has been patched and with stainless steel none the less

Photo0196.jpg

Photo0197.jpg

already got to try it out on some maulberry I cut on the fenceline between my neighbors yard and mine
just a small load but I think it is going to do the trick

Photo0198.jpg

Photo0199.jpg

I believe this one is around a 1948 Ben Hurr trailer

Back