Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my latest wood hauler. I just bought this recently so have not got the chance to try it out yet. It is an 03 2500hd with the 6.0 and it only has 73,000 miles on it.
[URL=http://s170.photobucket.com/user/clarke_017/media/IMG_0501_zps8a5e0f43.jpg.html] [/URL]

There are a few things I want to get done to it. I need to get some running boards, get the bed line-x'd, get some new tires shortly.

They are great trucks! Mine is an 05 GMC 2500hd but mine has the 6.6L diesel. Stout suspension, great drive-train....it will make a good wood hauler. I put air bags on mine to help compensate for heavy tongue weight when towing.

They are great trucks! Mine is an 05 GMC 2500hd but mine has the 6.6L diesel. Stout suspension, great drive-train....it will make a good wood hauler. I put air bags on mine to help compensate for heavy tongue weight when towing.

I work as a signal maintainer for the railroad. I was just given a temp truck to replace my old one that was decommissioned. This one is a 04 Chevy crew cab 2wd with the 6.0. I don't remember if its a 2500 or a 3500. Single rear wheel because it has the high-rail gear to allow me to ride the rail.

Anyways, it has 293k miles and ~9,800 hours on it. I've gotten 7, 8, and 10 mpg. City, city, hwy. The rail gear is heavy and I carry many tools/parts with me.

I still prefer a Ford though. :)

I was debating on getting the 8.1 liter engine for a few reasons. One, so I knew that I would have plenty of power and two, to be able to get the Allison transmission. But decided against it because of the bad gas mileage. I don't understand why they don't offer the Allison in the 6.0.

I work as a signal maintainer for the railroad. I was just given a temp truck to replace my old one that was decommissioned. This one is a 04 Chevy crew cab 2wd with the 6.0. I don't remember if its a 2500 or a 3500. Single rear wheel because it has the high-rail gear to allow me to ride the rail.

Anyways, it has 293k miles and ~9,800 hours on it. I've gotten 7, 8, and 10 mpg. City, city, hwy. The rail gear is heavy and I carry many tools/parts with me.

I still prefer a Ford though. :)

Which Railroad do you work for? I am a machinist at Norfolk Southern.

Alright so this isn't used for getting wood out of the woods but.. My mill is about 7 miles away from the house in old hog barn that my relation has been kind enough to let me use. So when I head over to saw I usually try to take a load of slabs home to feed the outdoor furnace or a load of sawdust home to bed the animals with. It's *really* heavy when its loaded with green oak slabs:) I fabbed up a hitch for it outa scrap metal and a 2 inch receiver tube from f&f. Car cost me $250 and the 4x8 trailer was around $350 from HF and I milled the wood for the sides.

Alright so this isn't used for getting wood out of the woods but.. My mill is about 7 miles away from the house in old hog barn that my relation has been kind enough to let me use. So when I head over to saw I usually try to take a load of slabs home to feed the outdoor furnace or a load of sawdust home to bed the animals with. It's *really* heavy when its loaded with green oak slabs:) I fabbed up a hitch for it outa scrap metal and a 2 inch receiver tube from f&f. Car cost me $250 and the 4x8 trailer was around $350 from HF and I milled the wood for the sides.

That will work! Cant beat the price, either!

If they werent worth so much as antiques toiday, any old detroit heavy metal sled could haul some weight with a trailer, any of them.

I was debating on getting the 8.1 liter engine for a few reasons. One, so I knew that I would have plenty of power and two, to be able to get the Allison transmission. But decided against it because of the bad gas mileage. I don't understand why they don't offer the Allison in the 6.0.

My 07 has the Allison with 6.0? Gets the same mileage as my others. Thing is always in too high a gear, by the time you doing 40mph it's in 6th gear. When I first got it, I thought something was wrong and had the dealer check it out. Kind of a PIA when you want to get going in a hurry it has to downshift 2 or 3 gears before it kicks in. I've heard they're indestructable but I broke mine:mad: Backing into my driveway slightly uphill with the dump trailer heard a loud bang, kept working but after a while the trans was slipping going at highway speeds. The clutch drum cracked somehow? Cost $2200.00 to fix:angry2:

Still love them compared to the F350's 6.0's I had !!!!

I have 2- 2007's, 1 classic and the one I drive new body style and 1- 2004 -all 2500's, they tow and get beat daily and keep on ticking. Oh, well 1 trans rebuild in the other 07 last year.....we plow too so, whatregonnado?

Photos

Great photos,really like your set up.Especially like the photo of bacon and eggs.cutting firewood is so enjoyable.
From neighbor to North in Montreal

Back