Wood haulers....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neverenough

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Bare with me, I'm new here, not sure if this has been asked before, but I'm just wondering what people have for hauling the wood around. I remember a thread a little way's back with, MacDaddy's??? nice '85 Chev. I have a '79 F-350 conversion truck. It's been converted (Ford aftermarket approved) to 15,000GVWR. Equal to today's F-450. Here's a pic of it after I got back from picking up a little slab wood from the Amish's saw mill.

it ain't overloaded until sparks starts flying from the rear ,, lol ;)

SawTroll said:
Looks quite overloaded to me......

Not even close, it's only 9 cords. It would be nice if this trailer had a weight distribution hitch, but....

Have your ATV already, you are in business with the addition of the log trailer.

It's also doubles as a saw buck at no extra charge.

Lobo said:
Have your ATV already, you are in business with the addition of the log trailer.

It's also doubles as a saw buck at no extra charge.

I use a John Deere 4010 tractor with a grapple bucket for hauling the big stuff. Have a skid steer for the smaller area's.

neverenough said:
Wow, I didn't think those golf cart motors had enough torque to work that hard.

That's the best part about electric motors - 100% torque at 0 rpm. I don't know if it's because it's an old Melex or because I'm running 2 sets of 3 twelve volts instead of 6 six volt batteries, but this thing really is a workhorse.

Ever seen a golf cart pop a wheely? I'll try to get it on film this weekend. :blob2:

I use a 92 dodge w250 with 190,000 + miles because it's old enough and beat enough to use and abuse. I sometimes pull a 12,000 lb 18 ' trailer. I use my skidsteer in the woods as well. sure saves on the back!

medcave said:
That's the best part about electric motors - 100% torque at 0 rpm. I don't know if it's because it's an old Melex or because I'm running 2 sets of 3 twelve volts instead of 6 six volt batteries, but this thing really is a workhorse.

Ever seen a golf cart pop a wheely? I'll try to get it on film this weekend. :blob2:
Actually, yeah with the cart I used to use at work, they'd do that EASILY with around 100+ pounds of dirt in the back.

1995 F-250 Powerstroke turbo-diesel. Has a 6" lift with 35" BFG mud tires. It can be a pain to throw wood into the bed, but put 'er in 4X4 with the t-case in low range, and it'll pretty much crawl up a cliff. Kinda like drivin' an old tractor. Gotta love the PSD!!! (it's FOR SALE btw.)

Gary

GASoline71 said:
Gotta love the PSD!!! (it's FOR SALE btw.)

Gary

Yeah, you love it that much huh? What, did you come to your senses and spring for a Cummins? :laugh: :D

Russ

jokers said:
Yeah, you love it that much huh? What, did you come to your senses and spring for a Cummins?

Russ

:laugh: :D :blush:
I didn't realize when I posted that it sounded all goofy. Thanks Russ, got a good laff. Sellin' because it is a regular cab truck, and I have a coupla kids to haul around with me, and need either an extended cab or a crew cab.

Gary

GASoline71 said:
:laugh: :D :blush:
I didn't realize when I posted that it sounded all goofy. Thanks Russ, got a good laff. Sellin' because it is a regular cab truck, and I have a coupla kids to haul around with me, and need either an extended cab or a crew cab.

Gary

I understand completely Gary.

You sure are going to miss that diesel if you don`t get another, just like in the old days when you could get a decent big block, torque is where it`s at for a pickup! No Hemi for this boy.

Russ

jokers said:
No Hemi for this boy.
Russ

Russ,

I'm not a big MOPAR fan anyways, but I would take that Cummins over a Hemi anyday. I'll be lookin' for a newer crew cab PSD, preferably an F-350.

Just somethin' about the smell of diesel in the mornin'.

Gary

Not to rain on your parade, but we've got some F450's at work with the powerstroke, 10 foot dump boxes, pigs on fuel. Probably be happier with the performance of the cummins, now they just need a truck to put it in! (I drive an 88 3/4 crew chev with a 354 perkins). Inline is the only way to go with a diesel.......

heres how I haul wood out of the woods- Hemek Tigercat TD81-8.1 lt 6Cyl iveco turbo 240hp
And my road haul truck-Volvo FL10 4 axle rigid 65,000 lbs with 11 ltr 320hp diesel

Last edited:
Yep, one European Volvo cab over, 4 axle job, nice rig. What I am surprised to see however is the 4 door crew cab pick up truck in the background (thormech.com), is that a Nissan or something like that.

How do I haul wood?

This year it is a '73 chev K10, Last year it was a 67 Dodge. Once in awhile it is a small trailer and the old jeep. Mostly small loads of less than 1 cord per trip so I don't need the heavy equipment.

Nice Iveco! The last one I did battle with was a 5 cyl air cooled..... sometimes it worked.

-Pat

Back