wood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quackmaster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a forced air stove.The basement is dirty and unfinished wood dust and other filth gets sucked into the fan on the back of the stove. Is there some kind of filter you can install that wont restrict the air flow to much, or am I better off piping clean cold air in from outside?

What type of stove do you have? I know most furnaces dont come standard with filter boxes, but can be added to the unit. Is it possible to build a small enclosure around it and add a filter?

I had a similar situation in my unfinished basement. Had a wood chuck stove with squirrel cage blower hanging below and it would suck in dirt/ashes etc. I built a wire mesh tube that fit over the open end of cage and then covered it with filter material(that blue oily fiberglass) similar to my furnace as u have to cut a piece of filter from a roll and connect it to the wire panel with these long weak springs to hold it in place. So I cut a piece and shaped it over my wire mesh cage. It worked.

I'm not sure how to answer...stove or furnace???
Does it have an opening that goes to ducting?
You most likely should have it connected to a cold air ducted return.

I see many folks trying to take air off of the floor. 2 problems...the 1st you have already mentioned. The second is that you are taking combustion air from the furnace/stove room and moving it upstairs if this unit is hooked to ducting runs.
You are limiting the fire's need for air to burn without makeup air from the outside a basement can turn into a small vaacum.

I'd like to see a picture of your setup.
Adding a filter box may help for dirt ,but there are other issues to think about.

All of this may be huey if you do not have any ducting hooked to the furnaces.

Sorry, its a New England furnace attached to the cold side of the plenum on the gas furnace.It does have one one of those squirrel cage blowers on it and yes it draws off the floor. I am aware of the potential vacuum issue that's why I was wondering if drawing air from outside would be better or would I create new problems doing that? Or maybe I'll just take my .22 down there.

I like the homemade filter idea think I'll try that.

Technically Challenged not sure how to get picks on pc or off pc to messages.

Last edited:
I'd recommend hooking your cold air return to the blower with a filter inline and also bringing make up air in through a pvc pipe to 1 foot from the floor and ending with a trap like you'd see under a sink or a containment box to keep cold air from flooding in.
The pipe should bring in the same amount as the flue exhausts.
Keep in mind that clothes dryers and bathroom vents also expel air from the home.
This is very important and done properly the wood will burn at the best rate it can given the ability of the wood burner.
You may also think about a barometric draft regulator in the flue set to .03-.04 inches of water column.
Keeping your stack temps above 250 degrees at 400 but under 600 degrees will add efficiency too.

the whole idea of a warm air system is that you have the ability too heat,cool,humidify or dehumidify plus filter the air in your home.

This is just me, but if you aren't having any issues with Backdrafts with the furnace, I wouldn't worry about a fresh air kit. There are alot of mixed thoughts on these. Is your heat from your woodfurnace going into the cool side of the central furnace? I guess I don't understand. If the woodfurnace is in the basement, I would build a box around the blower and duct a large return on the floor up ahead. And by adding a filter, you clean your air, and get better circulation in the home. Having the blower drawing the air from your basement could cause negative pressure. If you duct that up above, you eliminate that pressure in the basement with the woodfurnace. Then your heat will go out the ducts in the home, and that Cold air return will help your heat travel though the home better. Eliminating the need for an OAK. Now if your heated air does go through the return of the central furnace, I would change that.

Back