Wood ID Northwest NJ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karrl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is this a type of hard maple? It’s very hard with large growth rings. I can’t really smell anything but it’s has a yellowish tint. Also it’s has a bit of shine to it.

Attachments

• 13D9B4FC-452D-4D40-A794-05D1BB9F6D3D.jpeg
    13D9B4FC-452D-4D40-A794-05D1BB9F6D3D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • F7BF2830-8C85-4C7D-9F4D-CBBCA16701BD.jpeg
    F7BF2830-8C85-4C7D-9F4D-CBBCA16701BD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 9FA87B8C-CB21-4459-9DC0-662CE4EE27E1.jpeg
    9FA87B8C-CB21-4459-9DC0-662CE4EE27E1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
  • 4C46A302-5FA8-41F3-A318-8A16E74E32AA.jpeg
    4C46A302-5FA8-41F3-A318-8A16E74E32AA.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
  • BEBC51AE-EA1F-4420-BF23-E5ADB763D665.jpeg
    BEBC51AE-EA1F-4420-BF23-E5ADB763D665.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
I think you might be right duckman, looks like the kind of locusts they plant in parking lots around here. It’s from a tree service, so that would make sense. And the thick growth rings mean it’s a fast grower.
It’s funny, I had another honey locust fall on my house this year but it looked way different. Goes to show how much variation is in each type of tree.

Thanks everyone, it’ll make for some nice firewood. It’s always nice when your mystery wood turns out to be high btu. I also learned that it was a black locust that fell on my house, for some reason I thought it was a honey haha 992A2666-1D40-4EB9-8983-71595CC831A9.jpeg

What happened to your locust? Did Tony Sopranos bunch use it for target practice?

I wish it was an insurance job, at least I’d get a new roof out of it haha

Apparently that tree was hollow in the middle and decided that the 70 mph freak storm we had this summer was too much. It fell over onto the corner of the house and just kinda leaned there. About as good as you could hope for if a tree is gonna fall on your house. Knocked trim and the top of an unused chimney off but didn’t damage the roof too bad. I’m not afraid to say I called in the professionals with a crane to take it down. Insurance did cover that at least.

And Gyp you better watch the wisecracks or I’ll move out to Colorado with 10 of my friends. Show you guys what real traffic is

Hahahaha, awesome I couldn’t resist the Jersey comment since I binged the Sopranos over Christmas. I didn’t catch it the first time around, late 90’s early 2000s. I was busy with deforestation and a full on cocaine habit at that point in my life ( which I beat by the way) Thank God!

It’s one of my favorite shows of all time, my fiancé and I rewatched the whole series a couple of years ago. Pro tip, the show is much more enjoyable with a large plate of pasta in front of you haha its also pretty accurate as far as how suburban life in NJ was in the early 2000s. Can’t speak on the mafia part although I’m sure it’s still around.

Congrats on kicking that stuff, life’s too short you know.

Thanks, I always got a craving for Italian food while watching them eat at Artie Buccos haha. I have them all taped & still watch a few episodes a week. Uncle Junior is funny as heck!

I used to work all over Bergen county so I ate at few of the spots in the show. Lodi pizza is a great hole in the wall spot and Holstens hasn’t been redecorated since the sixties. NJ catches a lot flak, rightfully so, but we have some of the best pizza, bagels, and deli’s in the Country.

but we have some of the best pizza
I grew up in Ho-Ho-Kus, which meant high school in Ridgewood, NJ. Several blocks from the high school was Renatos Pizza. Three brothers operated the place, and they could speak just a little English. It was a small place (one room) that served the best pizza I've ever had. I can still taste that stuff. There was some combination of cheese & herbs that made it the best stuff imaginable. I've been to numerous places in Manhattan (and everywhere else) searching for the best pizza, but never have found the equal of Renatos (which I gather still exists, altho it's now a large business operated by folks several generations removed from the original guys).

I have probably never had real pizza lol, just the chains, except Roma’s in Greeley Colorado. My brother had to go to Philadelphia one time for business when I picked him up in Denver he was telling me about eating at the two big places that compete for the best Philly cheesesteak about how much better they were than just your average eating establishment. I believe he said he liked a place called Pats the best.

That’s funny, when I lived in Jersey City there was a Renatos down the street. Probably the same family, it was the spot to get the good slices. I always judge a pizza place on their plain slice and Renatos is one of the best.

Was born in Teaneck and lived in Hackensack NJ for 6 years. Foschini's bakery in Hackensack on Lodi Street. Made THE best crumb cake. Twenty two years later I rode 2 1/2 hours each way by motorcycle on the Turnpinke to bring home their crumb cake. It was worth the trip.

Latest posts

Back