Wood ID please! Couple types.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anymanusa

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
No leaves to look at but I did take a few pics, I think this might be american beech:

2010-12-27_16-10-45_264.jpg

Here is what the 'fruit' on the twig ends looks like:

2010-12-27_16-11-18_993.jpg

And what might this be? It has the 'shagbark' look to it.

2010-12-27_16-17-58_947.jpg

Is that enough to make a determination? I'll get a 10x mag and look over the cell structure if no one has any ideas.

Thanks.

Block one looks like poplar.
Block two is shag bark hickory.

At least block one doesn't look like any beech I have ever seen.

Doesn't look like any poplar that I have encountered in my area. I would lean towards maple on Exhibit 1 and agree with your assessment on Exhibit 2.

1 appears to be soft red maple
number 2 is not hickory ,it is white oak

Its hard to go by bark alone. The first is probably maple, and it could be beech as well. Beech does have that smooth mouse grey bark.

The second one does look like shag hickory. JMO:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The block one was next to a sycamore tree and they looked different, so I ruled that out, although it may still be sycamore. The shagbark example is from a pretty small tree, so if I did luck out and get hickory, there's not much of it. There is also a chance that block one may be sweetgum as well, but it looks a little different, but not by much.

:agree2: although I'm not convinced either way on the second. But on the other hand you have either oak or hickory firewood!!

1 appears to be soft red maple
number 2 is not hickory ,it is white oak

:agree2:

On #1, Beech, while smooth and gray, usually doesn't have the mottled look of that bark and is more of a solid gray. It usually also has a few small twigs at random places coming off the lower trunk. The dark patch in the heartwood is also pretty common in red maple, and the color of beech is more golden than the whiter red maple.

The "shag" on shagbark usually comes off the trunk more than that, can be almost 6" or more on some trees I've seen. Looks more like a white oak.

Last edited:
my guess is a soft maple for the first one and shag hickory for second, some shots of the wood grain would be good!

Okay, end grain photos:
1 still looks and feels a little green, but it's much heavier than the green sweetgum that I have:
DSC_8125.jpg

2 (dead for a really long time, sawdusty when cutting:
DSC_8126.jpg

#2 is Shagbark Hickory. Although it may be a little punky, split it and look at it. I recently was disappointed when running the saw, thinking it was too punky to worry about, but decided to split it and try burning. I was pleasantly surprised to know the wood was still in decent shape, and although slow to start, burned very hot. I set it aside for next year, but I'm still keeping it.

I managed to find one small, intact leaf on tree number one.

2010-12-27_23-12-03_394.jpg

I don't know if that helps, because the leaf looks immature and could probably be something much different looking when mature...

it's definitely not sycamore, based on the sycamore right next to it.

^I don't know exactly what you mean.

DSC_8126.jpg

those arnt the same pieces :dizzy:
first one is some nice shagbark hickory from the looks of bark, that cant be the meat from it in second picture?

punky meaning in the second picture that wood looks like it would crumble if you split it, rather than split
and spalted the dark black rings in the wood
how_to_spalt_wood_1.jpg

Last edited:

DSC_8126.jpg

those arnt the same pieces :dizzy:
first one is some nice shagbark hickory from the looks of bark, that cant be the meat from it in second picture?

punky meaning in the second picture that wood looks like it would crumble if you split it, rather than split
and spalted the dark black rings in the wood
how_to_spalt_wood_1.jpg

same trunk, pieces may be a foot or two apart, and it didn't crumble when I split it, it split easy and burned slow and made good coals.

Latest posts

Back