Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
home owner asking me to pick up some wood.
its free exept for the 25.00 in gas to go get it but he is calling this bradford pear?
looks like elm to me but you guys would know.
this is the only pic he sent.
View attachment 228301
attachment.php

Say's i can cut and split it right there then take what I want as long as I leave him some of the split wood so guess it's firewood... Lol
Thanks guys

Please help ID this mystery wood!

Hey guys, I got 3 cords of this stuff for $150bux delivered. It has no smell and is relativley easy to split. Most of the pieces were 20" in diameter. Really nice and round. I have no idea what it is tho.

Hey guys, I got 3 cords of this stuff for $150bux delivered. It has no smell and is relativley easy to split. Most of the pieces were 20" in diameter. Really nice and round. I have no idea what it is tho.

Looks like Poplar, but could be Ash as well :msp_unsure:

I donno bout poplar:msp_unsure:

I was thinking long the lines of hickory but hey I am asking you guys to give an ID Most of the time.
So don't count on my opinion. :msp_confused:

Thanks for your replys folks. It smells kind of sour and splits green like nothin else I've ever split. Have to drive the maul through with a sledge clear to the bottom. I had no idea elm was so stringy when green. If I cut more I'll just stack it for a year or two. Glad to know it's elm. Not the greatest wood but it'll heat my house ok. Thanks.;)

Halligan:
Your firewood look like Tree of Heaven to me.
I am thinking it will be very light weight when dry.

That stuff with the chunky bark a few post back has me stumped.

David

Halligan:
Your firewood look like Tree of Heaven to me.
I am thinking it will be very light weight when dry.

That stuff with the chunky bark a few post back has me stumped.

David

Yup... An ornamental... TOH would be my guess too...

Yuk... But will burn when dry...

230302d1332457626-393-jpg

Tree Job

Hi Everyone,

Did a small tree job this am for a coworker of my wifes and was curious what kind of tree is is.
Does anyone have an idea??

Cody
Central Ohio

Back