Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, I've got a couple that I'm not sure on.

Pics 1 and 2 are of the same wood. 1 is after split and stacked (has that interesting pattern on the outside, underneath the bark) and 2 is a round from the same batch. Medium weight, fairly easy to split, not stringy, very light color inside after split. Some type of Maple?

Pic 3 is something else. Knotty, harder to split, heavier than the first one. Actually don't have a pic of any split yet, because I haven't spent much time trying to split those rounds. The bark makes me think pine. ???

Any help would be appreciated. I got all of it (plus some oak and locust) for free from a friend's property, just trying to ID so I know what I'm burning come winter time.

thanks!

Alright, I've got a couple that I'm not sure on.

Pics 1 and 2 are of the same wood. 1 is after split and stacked (has that interesting pattern on the outside, underneath the bark) and 2 is a round from the same batch. Medium weight, fairly easy to split, not stringy, very light color inside after split. Some type of Maple?

Pic 3 is something else. Knotty, harder to split, heavier than the first one. Actually don't have a pic of any split yet, because I haven't spent much time trying to split those rounds. The bark makes me think pine. ???

Any help would be appreciated. I got all of it (plus some oak and locust) for free from a friend's property, just trying to ID so I know what I'm burning come winter time.

thanks!

First look at Pic #1, and I thought ash, as that looks a lot like EAB damage. However, in pic #2, the bark looks like a birch of some type. Is that maybe Birch borer damage? Are there any D shaped holes in the bark?

Don't know on Pic 3

Last edited:
Looks like Birch to me ... NOT a softwood, good firewood!

Edit: Looking in the Audubon Society field guide to Trees, Eastern Region ... kinda looks like Hackberry.

HUh...Now that I think of it, the bark does look like black birch. The leaves really not to me. Then again I'm not a tree expert. I didn't think black birch because I've never seen such that big. They usually have spots and usually rot before I've seen them that big. I'm gonna snap some better pics and get them up soon.

At stump don't recall about the smell. It's about 125 feet away and I could smell it. I'll grab some better pics tonight.

Now that I look at the leaves, I don't think it is black birch or yellow birch. Seems like there aren't enough veins in the leaf. I'm still looking.

Now that I look at the leaves, I don't think it is black birch or yellow birch. Seems like there aren't enough veins in the leaf. I'm still looking.

Ok... What part of the country are you in? Knowing the region would help a lot to pin things down a bit better.

The leaf might be similar to hackberry, but the bark is definitely not hack... At least not Celtis occidentalis – Common Hackberry.

Last edited:
Crap...forgot that I didn't put my region down...Northeast CT

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 240262

First look at Pic #1, and I thought ash, as that looks a lot like EAB damage. However, in pic #2, the bark looks like a birch of some type. Is that maybe Birch borer damage? Are there any D shaped holes in the bark?

Don't know on Pic 3

Yeah, ash was my first thought, but it doesn't look like ash bark. Birch seems plausible too. Thanks! Haven't looked at the bark for D shaped holes yet.

The last one I think is pine, but I'll wait for some one else to chime in on that one before I expend too much energy splitting it just yet.

Yeah, ash was my first thought, but it doesn't look like ash bark. Birch seems plausible too. Thanks! Haven't looked at the bark for D shaped holes yet.

The last one I think is pine, but I'll wait for some one else to chime in on that one before I expend too much energy splitting it just yet.

Does the wood have any odor? The one in pics 1 & 2 maybe a wintergreen smell? That would pin it down to black or yellow birch.

Maybe a better pic of the bark of the rounds in pic 3 would help, but I'm not real familiar with southern pines, especially the bark. Loblolly pine is the exception, and has very distinctive bark, but I didn't really see that in pic 3.

1st 2 pics not Ash... Looks good though... Guessing one of the more dense birch varieties...
3rd pic looks like one of the "gum" varieties. Also decent firewood when dry..

Wow.... Are those leaves the same as the narrow leaves in your 1st set of pics? I have to say that I'm kind of confused now. :msp_confused:

Hey stump...just saw the post. Yes they are the same set of leaves. When I do some splitting, I get some pics up for more identification.

Looks like some kind of Ash.
Green Ash most likely. Grows in damp areas. Grows real fast ( 6' a year) when small. Dont get real big. Has tight/smooth bark until they get 15" or so in size.

Find a small one. 6' foot or so. Take your knife and cut the bark just above ground line. See if the bark will peel off all the way up the tree.

David

Thanks DFK. All of those things match. (I am in a wet area, it has smooth bark, it grows like weeds around me).

So I wonder if it worth transplanting a couple of them from where they are all bunch up to farther out in the yard where i need some trees. Or if being in Michigan, the EAB will just come and eat them for lunch?

haha Hedgerow, isn't that where you keep your branches? I have the trees growing all over the place. The branches are there right now b/c I cut a bunch of them down. All of the stuff by the deck and over by the pig was really badly overgrown, so I cleaned it up yesterday. I have about 4 more newly identified ash trees to the left of the pig that I need to either cut down or if it makes sense move, then put them out away from the house a bit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 243117View attachment 243118View attachment 243119

I figured it was that or a bad storm... Even though the EAB is bad up there, if the Ash trees are as prolific as the Elm's are around here, the bugs and disease may have a hard time keeping up with their rate of reproduction...
But if I had an Ash tree in my yard in MI, I would figure it's days were numbered...
:bang:

But you never know...
I say "give em' a fighting chance"...:rock:

Nice deck by the way...

Thanks the deck is in the process of being cleaned and restained. (a two year project), haha the deck was in rough shape.

That was what prompted the clean out, is i couldn't get to the railings on the left side of the deck, too much scrub brush.

I will see if i can dig up a couple of other small ash trees behind the pig. they are about 7 - 8 feet tall, if so i will plant them in the back yard (aka the bog).

The front of my property is mostly swap maple then some elm / black walnut and a few oak. The back is almost all ash or maple.

I like this thread, I can use it to identify wood that I get if I don't already knwo what it is, like on the first page the sugar maple, I got a load of wood dumped in my yard and nobody even the guys that cut it (not pros, homeowners) but the bark looks exactly like Sugar Maple and the leaves ARE maple :)
so..... I'll keep this thread real handy :)

Well, that is a disspointment! Guess it is going in the junk pile.

Junk pile?
DUDE if your anywhere near va beach I'll be glad to take it off your hands for you :)
I burn any hard wood I can get, softer stuff when its warmer harder stuff when its colder :)

Back