Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take a guess ... by pic number
1 and 2; Poplar
3: Dogwood
4: could be some sort of sumac, like the Hack said.

:dunno:

The one with the berrys looks like Elderberry to me.
Dont know about the other two???

Anyone have an idea what this is? Wont hand split for me.

I snapped the best picture i could. Its been bucked and drying for about 10 months or so and it still weighs a ton. I took a few swings at it today with my X27 which blows most woods apart and it didnt split this more than 3 inches deep . didnt even seperate the bark. Im stumped om what it is as im fairly new to this. I likely wont be cutting anymore of it though when i find out what it is.

I snapped the best picture i could. Its been bucked and drying for about 10 months or so and it still weighs a ton. I took a few swings at it today with my X27 which blows most woods apart and it didnt split this more than 3 inches deep . didnt even seperate the bark. Im stumped om what it is as im fairly new to this. I likely wont be cutting anymore of it though when i find out what it is.

Looks a little like "tree of Heaven" Ailanthus altissma... But bark alone can be misleading... Did you cut it out of a yard?
If not 2nd guess is good ole Elm...

Yea it looks like elm to me too, I'm no expert but reading whet you said it is probably elm, could be worse man, try splitting Iron wood, if ya ever get a log of that stuff be ready to be worn out totally after a rick using a maul

Down here in Va I haven't seen any ironwood, but when I was growing up in NW Arkansas Iron wood was Black oak that had turned so hard that you couldn't drive a 2x4 nail into it

What species do you call Ironwood down there? In MN, it refers to Eastern Hophornbeam. Splits real nice.

I always knew it as referring to "eastern Hophornbeam" also... But some refer to Blue Beech as Ironwood too...
This is where it helps for people who know their local species' and the local terms for them to know the scientific names for them also. So folks in other parts of the country can know what that species goes by in other regions.
:msp_thumbup:

I cut some of that exact same wood a while back on Burnnet's creek. It split very hard, very stringy almost as bad a hackberry. Someone here told me Elm but I am not familiar with any elm like this. The Elm that I normally cut is pretty easy to split.

Anyway, I don't cut this anymore;)

Just drove my son out to VA for his first year of college. Sure enjoyed seeing the beautiful forests of West Virginia and Virginia. Certainly different than Kansas.
Come to Va Beach and look at the trees we have here :) ( if ya wanna call em trees)

Hello COOG,

Its not black walnut. I've included a picture with black walnut to one side and a red eucalyptus on the other. I picked it up from Arbor tech tree care's wood pile. They said they cut a carob tree on the web site? But there was a lot of different types of wood. I was not able to talk to them.

Thanks man I'll keep trying. I have lots of walnut around, this is different. Bark is much thinner and grey. Thin layer of sap wood, to very dense heart wood.

I can't say what kind of wood that is, but the inside looks like some of the stuff I have, but the bark is different, the stuff I have that looks like that is Black Gum, that isn't Black Gum, that's all I know for sure.

Latest posts

Back