Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Very yellow sapwood. Splits pretty easy. What is it?

Thanks guys,

I thought it might be black locust but wanted other opinions. Recently moved to NJ and am trying to identify all the different wood I've gathered after Sandy. I can easily identify the oak, ash, and some maple but have lots of stuff I can't. As I split it I'm sure ill be back asking for help identifying it.

Bear with me...the the larger is either Honey Locust or Oregon Oak...and the last Pondeosa Pine...on my pics of course???

It's just like the pics and labels say: top is honey locust, middle is Oregon white oak, and bottom is ponderosa pine. The oak looks weird because it was a dissection of an oak stump that both internal decay and cambial and sapwood die-back, all at the base, as well as cankers up the trunks. I recommended a take down, and later she called saying she was concerned that it had been "pretty solid", based on overhearing the crew ... even though I had sent her a report and a link to photos.

So I went back, dug up most of the stump again, and cut a section out of the stump: it showed that decay was even worse at the root crown (the tree had been buried by fill over an open basal wound with decay that encircled 60% of the root crown.

Most of the firewood was still there; I could see big pockets of decay from cankers on the trunk up 10 or 20 ft. Pockets of decay and cambial death went up each of the three trunks (that had fused for the lower foot or two) for at least 6 ft. After a bunch of work to convince myself I was right the first time, I wrote her an email (longer than this) with a link to more pics.

Link to the first visits pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117894...&authkey=Gv1sRgCIfN_-fW0uLZOg&feat=directlink

Hmmm...very detailed....Thanks a bunch!
It's just like the pics and labels say: top is honey locust, middle is Oregon white oak, and bottom is ponderosa pine. The oak looks weird because it was a dissection of an oak stump that both internal decay and cambial and sapwood die-back, all at the base, as well as cankers up the trunks. I recommended a take down, and later she called saying she was concerned that it had been "pretty solid", based on overhearing the crew ... even though I had sent her a report and a link to photos.

So I went back, dug up most of the stump again, and cut a section out of the stump: it showed that decay was even worse at the root crown (the tree had been buried by fill over an open basal wound with decay that encircled 60% of the root crown.

Most of the firewood was still there; I could see big pockets of decay from cankers on the trunk up 10 or 20 ft. Pockets of decay and cambial death went up each of the three trunks (that had fused for the lower foot or two) for at least 6 ft. After a bunch of work to convince myself I was right the first time, I wrote her an email (longer than this) with a link to more pics.

Link to the first visits pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117894...&authkey=Gv1sRgCIfN_-fW0uLZOg&feat=directlink

OK, I misunderstood. You are talking about size. The pine was about 3 ft., the locust about 30 in., and the chunk of oak about 2 ft. by 18 in.

I've been working through my 'mutt' pile and had a log of this. It looks red compared to the rest of the stuff I've been splitting. Any guesses?

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

The pictures aren't showing the red very well unfortunately.

Thanks!

Is it really?!?! My friend kept telling me cherry. I didn't want to believe him because I didn't want to get my hopes up. This will go well in my smoker... :D

Last edited:
+ 1 ^^ Cherry indeed! "Sweet Cherry" as its called around my parts.. Differs from the Black Cherry tree as the "sweets", tend to be burly with paper like bark rather than the Black Cherrys "burnt cornflake" like bark.... Make a delicious brisket... Mmmmmmm

Back