Wood shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortys7777

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Really want to build a wood shed. My area is somewhat limited. 8x6' give or take a little. Picture shows a lot of dirt but a bunch of the area is all rock underneath. Setting 4 posts is kind of out of the question. I see people use the cement blocks that you can put a vertical 2x6 in and build a frame on top. Would this be the way you go? Put some 3/4" gravel around and compact it down. My goal is 4 posts, roof sloping back over the fence. Seems the easiest and cheapest way. What would you do?20211205_120007.jpg

Level it out with gravel, put your blocks down and build from there, pallets for floor. Then you don't need permits or have a building code. With a concrete pad it is considered a permanent structure and is added to your taxes.

Exactly what I want. What are your posts on? No way I am going to get down 36 inches or whatever code is to pour cement.
Looks to me that the posts are sitting on top of a skid so you can move the shelter around. If you build one like that you might want to find an anchor point to tie it to the ground for safety in high winds.

Ron

I am using a calf shelter right now. (The calves are freezing to death, but not me :happybanana:) It is elevated 6 " off the ground (skids) and ventilates well as long as there's a bit of a breeze. They are an easy, straightforward project. Stacked to the brim it holds about 4 cord. 8 x 16 Footprint. 5' at the back, 7' at the front.

So OP should be able to stuff about two cord in his..

Exactly what I want. What are your posts on? No way I am going to get down 36 inches or whatever code is to pour cement.
Typically code is for a building over a certain size. You will need to look into the codes in your area as they vary from country to country, state to state, and so on for cities/villages and the like.
If you want post into the ground, dig to where the rock it, then build up from there and put a bag of concrete in each hole.
Building my pole barn I ran into a large rock in one hole, I just cut the post as it was off to one side, it still goes down to 42" per code :cool:.
When you have a saw, every problem looks like a piece of wood :laugh: .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 1.03.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 1.03.40 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 26
Limited by size or codes?
I suppose a 20' container is out of the question?
How about leveling with gravel or dirt and then a box trailer with a ramp door and side passage door?
Limited by both as that massive rock is not getting moved because on the other side of that is my gate to get out into the woods. I like the idea of gravel the entire thing and anchor 1 or 2 of the posts. One area I can get down a little ways. I'm sure a few bags of concrete will go a long way. I'm going to leave plenty of ventalation on the sides and backs so I don't think wind will be a huge issue especially how my property is. I have access to free gravel and pallets. Thanks for the ideas.

Typically code is for a building over a certain size. You will need to look into the codes in your area as they vary from country to country, state to state, and so on for cities/villages and the like.
Yup- in the NC county my land is in - ANY structure over 12ft in any dimension requires a permit...
There is a loophole if you are farming but it is hard to fake it as you must show IIRC over $1000 a year in income from the farming.

PXL_20211220_215703489.jpg
Three of these is about 6x8 (there are four separate racks here). 2' pieces of pressure treated 4x4 as feet, a few studs and a piece of corrugated metal roof (with the racks near each other the roofing is mostly continuous). Plenty of airflow to season wood; it gets a little wet occasionally but unless rain is constant it dries between storms. Each rack holds 1/2 cord with 16" wood.
Easy to move when empty.

Yup- in the NC county my land is in - ANY structure over 12ft in any dimension requires a permit...
There is a loophole if you are farming but it is hard to fake it as you must show IIRC over $1000 a year in income from the farming.
Here we are allowed only two permanent outbuildings and anything over 100 square ft needs to be permitted and follow building code.
I have a 10x12 shed with a 12x42" front porch and a 16x24 woodshed and I'm building a 32x48 with two 12x48 lean to's. If they give me a hard time I'll move my shed and say its not permanent lol.
Here's the woodshed. Approximately 15.5'x6' on each side for wood and 12x15.5 in the center bay for my tractor and other assorted junk. The front portion of the roof adds about another 3' to the 15.5 and it has a 4' cement apron that keeps the gravel from washing away under the overhang and out of the center bay. There is concrete on the ground on the sides where the wood is. It sure beats pallets and a tarp 😜
20211125_084706.jpg

Yep, put some of the buildings on skids and they are not permanent. I know a guy in Illinois that has the same problem, taxes are lots higher on permanent buildings. He's got a quasi campground, where he leases the land per year, and all the cabins he builds are on skids, even though they have "permanent" plumbing.

He said it's no big deal to splice the plastic plumbing.....

1979 old mill wood stove. I always burned. Logs front to back and it did good. I switched to a log cabin firelay and it just does exceptionally . intense heat and good coals even for a uninsulated house.
20211216_174359.jpg

Really want to build a wood shed. My area is somewhat limited. 8x6' give or take a little. Picture shows a lot of dirt but a bunch of the area is all rock underneath. Setting 4 posts is kind of out of the question. I see people use the cement blocks that you can put a vertical 2x6 in and build a frame on top. Would this be the way you go? Put some 3/4" gravel around and compact it down. My goal is 4 posts, roof sloping back over the fence. Seems the easiest and cheapest way. What would you do?View attachment 950523
For 8'x6' you won't need a permit.
In that spot, I'd just buy one premade and drop it on leveled gravel bed.
Done and done.
Unless you want something elaborate and expensive.20211223_164449b.jpg

8x6 yoiu could almost get away with making the floor and walls from pallets and jsut strapping plywood over the top and calling it a day....

Latest posts

Back