Wood stove and chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find a Makita 6401. They can be had fairly inexpensively. Same as a Dolmar 6400. Used for $300 or so. Don't limit yourself to one orange brand. An old plastic milk cratehas carried all my stuffs for quite a while.

BTW, and totally off topic, just noticed the 28" bar on your 6401. How does it do with that bar? I'm thinking about getting a 24" bar for my saw. Just has the 20" stock bar right now. The dogs are so big though it eats a few inches from the bar length.

Open open the muffler and get rid of the catalytic junk in there retune and it will pull that 28 pretty well. have to unstick the carb twidlers as well, as they have the tamper caps on those iirc. when that jug/piston goes south rebuild with the big bore kit

BTW, and totally off topic, just noticed the 28" bar on your 6401. How does it do with that bar? I'm thinking about getting a 24" bar for my saw. Just has the 20" stock bar right now. The dogs are so big though it eats a few inches from the bar length.
It does ok for me. Might not be powerfull enough for some. You could always put a BB kit on it. I run full skip chain and don't really ask much of it. I use my 5105 with the 20" bar 90% of the time. The 6401 noodles well when needed and will whack off the butt end of a stump when asked to. I have used it for 20 cuts out of the last 10 cords I brought home. Those 20 cuts sure split up to a lot of firewood though!

Open open the muffler and get rid of the catalytic junk in there retune and it will pull that 28 pretty well. have to unstick the carb twidlers as well, as they have the tamper caps on those iirc. when that jug/piston goes south rebuild with the big bore kit

Planning on doing the muff mod. Just have to figure out how to get the crimp off, how to remove excess crap in muffler, and how to seal it.

It does ok for me. Might not be powerfull enough for some. You could always put a BB kit on it. I run full skip chain and don't really ask much of it. I use my 5105 with the 20" bar 90% of the time. The 6401 noodles well when needed and will whack off the butt end of a stump when asked to. I have used it for 20 cuts out of the last 10 cords I brought home. Those 20 cuts sure split up to a lot of firewood though!

Yeah, it does noodle well. I'm starting to like the weird dogs too.

Another vote for a 555xp
It's not a stihl but it will handily outperform the stihl equivalent of the same size . Close Dealers are nice but it's not worth it if your getting a heavier slower saw . To me a premium top of the line saw is better than a close dealer .. Jotul are gorgeous stoves but the cost is up there . Other stoves worthy of consideration at a better price point are drolet and Englander

Since no one has comented on Stihl, I will allow a comment. In the wood you are projecting on cutting, for 18 - 20 inchwood a 50cc saw is more than enough. Depending on your budget and your knowledge I would consider a nice service for your 026. You could contact one of the rebuilders here in the forum if you are uncertain doing it yourself. Definately not a mistake investing one or two bills to have that saw revitalized and probably problem free, for your needs the next 20 years.

If you want to buy a extra saw you can get any saw in the farmer or pro class from any of the major manufactureres.

The major maufacturers would be: Dolmar=Makita, Echo=Shindaiwa, Efco=Oleo Mac, Hitachi=Tanaka, Husqvarna=Jonsered, Solo or Stihl

Economy wise I would seriously include the Echo 590 or Poulan 5020. More than sufficient as an addition too your equipement and as or more powerful than what you already have.

Stihl makes a couple of nice 70ish cc saws, as much as I enjoy my 50cc saws, I got a woody yesterday going through some 18-20" hard maple with my 461. Good luck with the house and get the best stove and saw that you can afford in the long run you'll be glad you did.

That thing is $885! Ya'll are some rich dudes spending that kind of money on a saw to cut firewood.

Well, perspective...you don't need anything more than a one grand used camry to commute to work in. But...guys will run around in 10-20 grand sports sedans capable of 150 MPH plus. I find that more WTF??? Plus bling, killer sound system, aftermarket bling rims and tires, etc. Or a 70 grand giant pickup, that you *never* see anything in the back of or towing anything. Spotless, looks to have never been offroad, but still has 3 foot tall expensive rims and mud tires. WTF???

Saws are cheap compared to other stuff.

Look at the guys who collect tractors? 20 tractors, maybe one or two get used for farm work, the rest for shows and parades.

Bassboats that cut run 60-80 MPH, more WTF?

Well, perspective...you don't need anything more than a one grand used camry to commute to work in. But...guys will run around in 10-20 grand sports sedans capable of 150 MPH plus. I find that more WTF??? Plus bling, killer sound system, aftermarket bling rims and tires, etc. Or a 70 grand giant pickup, that you *never* see anything in the back of or towing anything. Spotless, looks to have never been offroad, but still has 3 foot tall expensive rims and mud tires. WTF???

Look at the guys who collect tractors? 20 tractors, maybe one or two get used for farm work, the rest for shows and parades.

That's some good $hit right there, Zog my man!!! :laugh:

Wait a minute now, I have one of those sports sedans. It's a actually a sensible car. I can fit three car seats in that thing, an average sized adult in the front, have enough room to drive comfortably, and has a large trunk. Boom! There's no bling in or on my car, I like the wolf in sheep clothing look. Oh almost forgot, I can also haul ass in it if I need to. Not that great with hauling firewood though.

Now the huge, expensive trucks that sound like Crocodile Dundee calling bats is pretty stupid. I agree there.

Sounds like the consensus is get another Stihl. I must say, I agree. Nothing really out there in its class can cut with a MS261. lol Last and last for years too. You can always get some sound advice around here.

I have a Harman 300i in a 2600 ft2 home in Northern MD. It does very well. The rear reburner works well once the stove is hot, which takes about 30 minutes. If you close the bypass too soon, the fire has a tendancy to smolder. It is a very well made stove and avoids the maintenance requirements of a catalytic unit while providing similar efficiency. I have had a Buck model 91 and a Vermont Castings Montpiellier and the Harman is far easier to start and provides a lot more output than the VC did. The Buck was a nice stove but became difficult to maintain over time. We got our use out of it, but it was due for replacement.

I also use an 026 for much of my firewood. I added a 362 about two years ago when i needed to clear some larger trees to make way for my workshop. The 026 is very reliable. I have only changed air filters, fuel pickups, and spark plugs in the 15 years I have had it. For trees up to 18", the 026 is a great tool.

Since no one has comented on Stihl, I will allow a comment. In the wood you are projecting on cutting, for 18 - 20 inchwood a 50cc saw is more than enough. Depending on your budget and your knowledge I would consider a nice service for your 026. You could contact one of the rebuilders here in the forum if you are uncertain doing it yourself. Definately not a mistake investing one or two bills to have that saw revitalized and probably problem free, for your needs the next 20 years.

If you want to buy a extra saw you can get any saw in the farmer or pro class from any of the major manufactureres.

The major maufacturers would be: Dolmar=Makita, Echo=Shindaiwa, Efco=Oleo Mac, Hitachi=Tanaka, Husqvarna=Jonsered, Solo or Stihl

Economy wise I would seriously include the Echo 590 or Poulan 5020. More than sufficient as an addition too your equipement and as or more powerful than what you already have.

Thanks. The 026 has just been totally gone over. Took a new carb and runs like a raped ape. I'm going to try it out this weekend if the weather is good. Things starts on the second pull and first when warm. I have access to other chainsaws if I need them but I really hate using other people's stuff.

Latest posts

Back