Wood stove and chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Harman 300i in a 2600 ft2 home in Northern MD. It does very well. The rear reburner works well once the stove is hot, which takes about 30 minutes. If you close the bypass too soon, the fire has a tendancy to smolder. It is a very well made stove and avoids the maintenance requirements of a catalytic unit while providing similar efficiency. I have had a Buck model 91 and a Vermont Castings Montpiellier and the Harman is far easier to start and provides a lot more output than the VC did. The Buck was a nice stove but became difficult to maintain over time. We got our use out of it, but it was due for replacement.

I also use an 026 for much of my firewood. I added a 362 about two years ago when i needed to clear some larger trees to make way for my workshop. The 026 is very reliable. I have only changed air filters, fuel pickups, and spark plugs in the 15 years I have had it. For trees up to 18", the 026 is a great tool.

Thanks. That is great news about the 300i. We are looking at building roughly 2200 sq ft. so it sounds as though it will be a good backup/supplemental heat source.

If your building new, please do a freestanding stove instead. Inserts are made to retrofit fireplaces. They are a compromise, a good one if you have a fireplace, but why saddle yourself with them. If you can a centrally located freestanding wood stove is going to perform much better than any insert.

image.jpg There is a second path for air to directly enter via the rear of the stove into the secondary chamber. The primary air enters from the front and "washes" past the glass. You can see one of the air supply holes at the center of this photo.

Leave this sight as fast as you can. You will quickly realize that never has a stock 026 run like a raped ape. So leave while it still does!

Leave this sight as fast as you can. You will quickly realize that never has a stock 026 run like a raped ape. So leave while it still does!
Thanks for the advice. :) I like using older stuff though. My garden tractor is 3 years older then I am. Making hay with a 2 cylinder john Deere is some of the best time I've spent in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your building new, please do a freestanding stove instead. Inserts are made to retrofit fireplaces. They are a compromise, a good one if you have a fireplace, but why saddle yourself with them. If you can a centrally located freestanding wood stove is going to perform much better than any insert.
Thanks I would but my wife really really wants a stone fireplace. The insert is a compromise to still get some heat out of it. This is her ideal living room. :worry:

fca9feeb6dd7302c7d0a99ffc9a4bb4b.jpg

You are advised with advice to use your friend spellchecker: this is a "site" that you may "sight". Grammar Nazi signing off. :surprised3:
Apes do not appreciate called "raped". :wtf:

026 was one of the finest tools ever manufactured.:numberone:

Thanks I would but my wife really really wants a stone fireplace. The insert is a compromise to still get some heat out of it. This is her ideal living room. :worry:

fca9feeb6dd7302c7d0a99ffc9a4bb4b.jpg

Your not doing a log home are you???

If she is set doing a masonry surround then do two things. One is still place it centrally. Yes it's a little more work foundation wise but the thermal mass will help instead of sucking out heat on an outside wall.

Also look at Finnish or Russian fireplaces. If you are going to spend that kind on money on masonry might as well spend it on a truly great design. They are even more efficient than the best wood stoves. Just 2 fires or 3 fires a day,in a well insulated house, very fuel efficient. Can even incorporate benches or seat into them. Sell the wife on the heated bench to take siestas on! They are not retrofit able generally and have to be designed before construction Much better return on investment than a geothermal system.

dsc_0022.jpg

steinbergfinal229-03-02-2008.jpg

New-City-Double-Bell-Masonry-Heater-3336-e1325608201990.jpg

Won't be a log home but the great room will look like one. I have access to old chestnut logs they will be used. Just need to make them look pretty again.

Driver,

SERIOUSLY consider a Blaze King Princess insert. I purchased one last year and am still impressed with it. On a full load we usually get 20-25+ straight hours on a burn if it's above 30 degrees outside. Our home is about 3,000sq/ft. I have to wait 2-3 days to let the burn finish when I want to get all of the ashes out. lol

You'll definitely appreciate that you get the most of your wood with one of these, and they're very easy to use.

i owned an 026 great saw just a little slow...out of all my saws I grab the 372 first just because it blasts through everything and so fun to run...so keep the 026 grab a 441 when u can and run it til ur hands go numb087.jpg

My neighbor the retired and well respected local faller would disagree on the majority of the saw advice given. He maintains that even a 44o is not powerful enough for SAFE falling. His explanation is that things will go fine until you run into a tree where you need to pour on the power, then a smaller saw will get you into trouble or killed. But then, he only fell trees in a production setting for many years...

My neighbor the retired and well respected local faller would disagree on the majority of the saw advice given. He maintains that even a 44o is not powerful enough for SAFE falling. His explanation is that things will go fine until you run into a tree where you need to pour on the power, then a smaller saw will get you into trouble or killed. But then, he only fell trees in a production setting for many years...

Don't blow hard. Your neighbor didn't work into retirement as a well-respected local faller by cutting down 18" trees for a fireplace insert. 50cc saws are designed for it you're a joke. Go plant trees.

Think you have a great vision. It appears that you'll be in this home for many years, so my advice as a property owner is to buy the best tools you can. If you have a good Stihl dealer, get a 362 or 441. You'll appeciate it for years to come.

Think you have a great vision. It appears that you'll be in this home for many years, so my advice as a property owner is to buy the best tools you can. If you have a good Stihl dealer, get a 362 or 441. You'll appeciate it for years to come.

That is the idea. I'd rather spend a little extra on tools and be able to hove them to my son and not have to replace them. This will be my last move. I've already moved 10 times and I'm only 35. The first floor of this house will have everything I need. I'm not leaving it till they carry me out feet first. :yes:

Back