Wood stove and chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be nice. I seriously need to upgrade. I looked at a Blaze King model, forgot what it's called. Think it was the bigger model. I don't think this tiny insert will keep up.

You go to Asheville a lot? Love that city. Used to live in Charlotte and Boone.

I have to head over to Asheville fairly often for my business, it's only about 20 minutes away. Great places to eat!
I try to stay away from downtown though, it's been called the San Francisco of the east coast. To each their own, but for those like myself who enjoy traditional living, some of the things you see can make you feel like a fish out of water. lol

I have to head over to Asheville fairly often for my business, it's only about 20 minutes away. Great places to eat!
I try to stay away from downtown though, it's been called the San Francisco of the east coast. To each their own, but for those like myself who enjoy traditional living, some of the things you see can make you feel like a fish out of water. lol

Never been to San Francisco but there did seem to be a lot of hippy-ish people/shops/culture in Asheville. Hendersonville sounds familiar to me for some reason. I think they have a catch wrestling place near there or something.

Anyway, I'm going to research the Blaze King models

6 chains? You should be good for couple years. I have to admit, I don't buy much from any of those guys saw wise. I bought 3 20" and 2 28" chains 3 years ago and are still using them. When I decided my 044 was too heavy for an old man I shopped all the locals and finally decided on the Dolmar 5105 from Mech-burg. Bought the 6401 off Craigslist for $200 used, the deal of the year, and the 28" bar for it from Bailey's on clearance. I do stop in to BM and Nolts for other items though. Both top notch folks. Have not really tried CG. Used to go in there quite a bit when it was Leinbach's and I was doing excavating work. Lots of goodies there.
with 7 saws running most of the time we can use some chains. i hand file and can take a bit off 'cause i like 'em sharp. i just use CG because i go there for the produce auction in the summer and the hay/firewood auction in the winter.

My wife said I need 2 saws also. But there is no way I'm selling any of the other 20 in the shed. I have saws up to 180 CC's and bars up to 52" and the saw that gets used the most is my Farm Boss 290. But, since I bought my new 660 last year, with the 25 inch bar, it's just a little heavier than the 290 and is getting quite a bit of use, Joe.

My wife said I need 2 saws also. But there is no way I'm selling any of the other 20 in the shed. I have saws up to 180 CC's and bars up to 52" and the saw that gets used the most is my Farm Boss 290. But, since I bought my new 660 last year, with the 25 inch bar, it's just a little heavier than the 290 and is getting quite a bit of use, Joe.

What is that big saw, a two man jobber?

First time post here but I did try a quick search and couldn't find anything.

My wife and I bought 20 acres of wooded mountain ground that we will be building a house on this spring. We are looking at geo thermal heat/cooling with a wood stove insert backup in the living room fireplace. We both like the Harmon 300i. Does anyone here have any experience with this wood stove and I haven't been able to find any online reviews.

Second part is a good all around chainsaw for felling trees and cutting firewood. Most of the trees on the property are less then 18 inches and I've inherited an old. 026 Stihl. Wondering what saw you guys would recommend to compliment it. I'd like to stay with Stihl as we have an excellent dealer network close by. Thanks in advance.

don't compliment it with anything just a short bar 16 and possibly a 20 .325 comp chain and keep it sharp.....possibly get a 021 to match it for the light stuff. good luck and be careful

You don't need two saws......Just an extra bar and chain. If it gets stuck you can just remove the saw from the stuck bar and put on the spare bar and cut the stuck bar free.
You said you have an average of 18" trees so you dont need a big saw. I cut 40" oak rounds with my 290 with an 18" bar all the time.
My MS290 cuts everything I throw at it. The trick with big rounds is take your time.
You want a light saw to lug around on them there hills.
I have bigger saws but use the 290 most of the time.

Sorry but never used that stove.

Be very selective when felling trees. Once there cut , you cant put them back. It may seem like a lot of trees but they can go pretty fast when your heating with wood.

It's sweet Dude but those filters suck.
So, you had or now have a Stihl MS361 and have some bad experience with some filters? I have owned this saw since 2007 and have had no such experiences with any filters after 600 hours of operation. I changed a fuel filter once, about three years ago. That's it. What powder are you smokin' these days?

So, you had or now have a Stihl MS361 and have some bad experience with some filters? I have owned this saw since 2007 and have had no such experiences with any filters after 600 hours of operation. I changed a fuel filter once, about three years ago. That's it. What powder are you smokin' these days?
I have had no problems with my 260 or 362 with the fiber type filters either. Did replace the 260's filter after it wore to where there were holes in it. I agree there can be much better filters (some newer models have them).

They do seem pretty weak, but must be adequate to allow the saws to run a long time. My 260 has a lot of hard hours on it and still runs like new.

We are talking sawdust here, not abrasive concrete dust where filters are life and death for a saw.

Anyone have an a documented mechanical issue with the fiber filters?

Latest posts

Back