Wood stove and chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't blow hard. Your neighbor didn't work into retirement as a well-respected local faller by cutting down 18" trees for a fireplace insert. 50cc saws are designed for it you're a joke. Go plant trees.

Actually 14 to 27 inch trees are the most commonly cut today for timber. REAL production fallers, not weekend hacks, pack a 460 with 32 inch bar for that. Flatlanders don't know such things. Here's a typical commercial thinning unit. This guy is not using a fru fru little boy saw.

Driver,

SERIOUSLY consider a Blaze King Princess insert. I purchased one last year and am still impressed with it. On a full load we usually get 20-25+ straight hours on a burn if it's above 30 degrees outside. Our home is about 3,000sq/ft. I have to wait 2-3 days to let the burn finish when I want to get all of the ashes out. lol

You'll definitely appreciate that you get the most of your wood with one of these, and they're very easy to use.

25 hours! I seriously need to upgrade. I have a tiny little insert. Can't get a whole 8 hour burn time.

Actually 14 to 27 inch trees are the most commonly cut today for timber. REAL production fallers, not weekend hacks, pack a 460 with 32 inch bar for that. Flatlanders don't know such things. Here's a typical commercial thinning unit. This guy is not using a fru fru little boy saw.

That tree was mighty tiny. Anyway, for the OP, I still stand behind hitting up HDs and buying a Makita 6421. Price may range from $215-$300. Hard to beat that.

Actually 14 to 27 inch trees are the most commonly cut today for timber. REAL production fallers, not weekend hacks, pack a 460 with 32 inch bar for that. Flatlanders don't know such things.

Flatlanders know your lumber is twisted junk.

REAL production fallers, not weekend hacks, pack a 460 with 32 inch bar for that.
I'm a weekend hack - I have no interest in being a REAL production faller, and the idea that I must invest in a saw that will pull a 32" bar to "safely" cut my firewood is absurd. I don't doubt that there could be situations where a fast back cut is important, but I'm a firewood hack - how many of those do you think I run into? How much safer would this inherently dangerous activity become? I only drop a few trees a year, on my land, and if it looks dangerous I can simply leave it there and walk away.

I'm interested in what people do in other situations and like to learn better, safer techniques, but I think your perspective is distorted by the whole pro faller thing. There's simply a world of difference between what I do and what a pro PNW faller does, with different requirements.

25 hours! I seriously need to upgrade. I have a tiny little insert. Can't get a whole 8 hour burn time.

I put a load in yesterday at 4ish and haven't touched it since. It's going on 6:40 now and there's still several hours of burn-time left. It's in the 30's outside and has kept the house around 73 degrees.

There are jokes about how long these stoves burn. lol

Would that be cedar grove, or blue mountain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure of FS's opinion but both are good stores. Cedar Grove is Mennonite and Blue Mountain, 5 min from me, is Amish. Owner's name is Benuel King. I think he carries Jonsered also. Walter Nolt's is also close by for Husqvarna. Davis Country Living in Mechanicsburg has Dolmar and Husqvarna. Ok, I'm done...

I put a load in yesterday at 4ish and haven't touched it since. It's going on 6:40 now and there's still several hours of burn-time left. It's in the 30's outside and has kept the house around 73 degrees.

There are jokes about how long these stoves burn. lol

Must be nice. I seriously need to upgrade. I looked at a Blaze King model, forgot what it's called. Think it was the bigger model. I don't think this tiny insert will keep up.

You go to Asheville a lot? Love that city. Used to live in Charlotte and Boone.

Not sure of FS's opinion but both are good stores. Cedar Grove is Mennonite and Blue Mountain, 5 min from me, is Amish. Owner's name is Benuel King. I think he carries Jonsered also. Walter Nolt's is also close by for Husqvarna. Davis Country Living in Mechanicsburg has Dolmar and Husqvarna. Ok, I'm done...

I've known Ben for years. Bought my 1976 wheelhorse from him. Love that tractor. It seems strange to air of city friends I have that an Amish man owns a small engine shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delete, dismiss, ignore this BS. Damn, no one using weapons demeans anyone in the unit carrying big, carrying small, or riding or flying one.
Get over this girl; we're all in it here together. My 9mm will drop you as much as a 30-06. :wtf:
"Fru-fru little boys" will come out there and bite.:mad: I LOVE my 16 inchers; it'll do those oh so large 27" DBH'ers.
And how long did you say yours is ? :barbecue:

Besides, IT's THE SEASON.

I have a Stihl 026 and a 036. Both get used about the same. The 026 is handy for cutting firewood and the 036 for falling.
In my experience a geo thermal unit is expensive overkill if you are going to use a wood stove. We had a geo thermal unit that crapped out and nobody around that could fix it. Tore it out. My advice is to use the wood stove as primary if you are up to it and use something else (cheaper) as backup.

I don't know a lot, but I can tell you that 026 will handle almost all your needs. I have one, and it's my favorite saw. A true professional grade saw. If I were you, I'd pick up something similar in size or smaller for limbing or when you get stuck and call it a day. Then again, that's what I said to myself before I had over a dozen saws... Still, I'm with many others, I have a 24" bar for my Homelite Super XL, but it rarely gets used. My 20" is sufficient for most and it usually takes less than that, but that's just me. Heck, I like to run a 16" on my 026 the most!

You ought to come cut Hedge with this flat-lander and heft my 9010 around with either the 28" or 36" bars. Hell run my 372 around with the 28" bar and call it a fru-fru little boy saw. My Stumpbroke might put a hurtin' on 'ya. It'll darn sure embarrass an 066 until you get into 28"+ sized wood. LMAO

Been cuttin wood since 1977 and never had 0r wanted a bar over 20". Firewood and logging.
But Not In The PNW. :laugh:
She ought to see the Red Oaks, Locust and Hedge in the Mid-West. They may not be as tall, but will definitely shame the PNW sticks for hardness and saw loading...

To the OP: I want a CUB too, or a Lancair Legacy turbine if/when I win the lottery...
The 026 is a legend. My late F.I.L. had 2 which cut Lord knows how much Hedge for heating and corner posts on his farm. They were badly neglected and still filled the bill. They are wonderful. In the wood you're looking at, I'd demo a Stihl MS362CM, Dolmar 6100 and 7900, Echo 590/600p, Husqvarna 555/562xp and a Husqvarna 365. There's nothing wrong with the bigger Stihls, but they'd be overkill and a bit heavy for the needs you've expressed. See which one feels the best to you and cuts in the fashion you're looking for. If I had to have only one saw, in your area I'd find a minty 346xp and be done. In my area, the finger-ported 262xp that Dad and I bought would do anything I'd ever want to do for general firewood. I'd go with a nice 60-70cc saw to compliment your 026 and be done with it.

i've been using cedar grove. i like their "buy 2 chains get one free deal". just bought 6 16" chains sat. and it worked out to around $13 a piece.
6 chains? You should be good for couple years. I have to admit, I don't buy much from any of those guys saw wise. I bought 3 20" and 2 28" chains 3 years ago and are still using them. When I decided my 044 was too heavy for an old man I shopped all the locals and finally decided on the Dolmar 5105 from Mech-burg. Bought the 6401 off Craigslist for $200 used, the deal of the year, and the 28" bar for it from Bailey's on clearance. I do stop in to BM and Nolts for other items though. Both top notch folks. Have not really tried CG. Used to go in there quite a bit when it was Leinbach's and I was doing excavating work. Lots of goodies there.

Back