Woodburning, health interest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wmd

WOW! I've read stuff about WMD's that were described more affectionately.
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I go back to my cave man argument. Man has been burning wood as long as there has been man. If wood smoke was really all that unhealthy and bad for humans, we would have gone extinct thousands of years ago.

Burning wood in dense areas is news for some people. You're welcome to ignore it.

Some of us come to these forums for answers, and some kindness is appreciated.

And, like dude, California is like the 7th largest economy in the world, and like it if it fell into the ocean, you'd like be speaking Chinese. Chill dude.

I go back to my cave man argument. Man has been burning wood as long as there has been man. If wood smoke was really all that unhealthy and bad for humans, we would have gone extinct thousands of years ago.

Good thinking. Life expectancy for cavemen was about 18-20. In 1800s it was barely 40.

In the century I'm living in, with "science" and "medicine" I get access to intelligent research which always blows ignorant fallacy out of the water.

Dude, Like why do you post here? Your had an earlier post about a tree to give away as long as it wasn't burnt?? We all have opinions about environmental issues but this is after all, a wood burning forum. Dont want to burn? then dont with my blessing. Stirring the pot here accomplishes nothing.

Sorry Treeco, for playing armchair moderator.

I'll put in my two cents....

Wood can be burned more efficiently and cleaner, but being against burning wood entirely is just wrong :dizzy:

Nature prevails and wood will be burnt by nature or us, I prefer to heat my house rather than watch a wildfire :popcorn:

I'm with vincent. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some gas (as in LP/natural) companies behind that research.

Too bad that they failed to factor in how much particulate pollution comes from burning coal in power plants and factories.

Dude, Like why do you post here? Your had an earlier post about a tree to give away as long as it wasn't burnt?? We all have opinions about environmental issues but this is after all, a wood burning forum. Dont want to burn? then dont with my blessing. Stirring the pot here accomplishes nothing.

Sorry Treeco, for playing armchair moderator.

Sorry for any offense. I posted this because if seemed interesting & very relevant to a wood burning forum. Maybe someone will read it and benefit. It's clearly not intended as provocation.

Sorry for any offense. I posted this because if seemed interesting & very relevant to a wood burning forum. Maybe someone will read it and benefit. It's clearly not intended as provocation.

The EPA is already working on regulating OWBs.....I don't really see how people here would benefit from this? I would say 99% of the people here are smart enough to know to burn dry good wood and not garbage....

Last edited:
I heat with wood, breathe some smoke and so far so good. If I did everything the experts told me I'd be hiding in a gopher hole with a sign that said "The end is near." If that expert ever gets cold what will he do? Build a fire out of whatever is handy.

Economics and love of everything forest related compells me to carry on like I have for the past 40 years living in the forested mountains.

tires?

how come they (you know ho i mean) have to mix tires and wood in the same report wood does not add to the green house gas co2 it is almost a one for one. oil adds new co2 to the air .why do they always have to put debris and tires with wood burning in the same report . so they can say wood burning is bad ?by the way ash it is use as fertilizer in some farm areas and it works I've Sean it.:chainsaw:

Good thinking. Life expectancy for cavemen was about 18-20. In 1800s it was barely 40.

In the century I'm living in, with "science" and "medicine" I get access to intelligent research which always blows ignorant fallacy out of the water.

Ironic you speak of 'blowing ignorant fallacy out of the water' yet you counter one with another and your life expectancy references. Nevermind how heavily skewed they are because of infant and child mortality, they're not exactly what you'd call a controlled indicator of the hazards of wood smoke.

But beyond that, what was the point of your post? Do you wish to spark a discussion? Perhaps you should try giving some direction, or asking specific questions instead of just throwing up a link and running, guerilla style.

I thought I seen a bumper sticker or maybe it was here :confused: that said

"If you don't like logging try wiping your *ss with a piece of plastic" :laugh:

I'm with vincent. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some gas (as in LP/natural) companies behind that research.

The research comes from multiple international sources, hundreds of universites, govt agencies, medical journals. I'd be very surprised if fuel companies could pay off all those institutions.

She's a non-profit run on donations.

Mary Rozenberg.

WHOIS

solvent,

here's my rationale for burning wood:

1. it's a local, renewable resource. if I play my locust stand correctly, I'll have a perpetual source of energy in my own back yard. literally.

2. from harvest to combustion, it's FAR cleaner than natural gas, oil, propane, or coal.

need proof of number 2? travel to west virginia or western penn. and have a look at what's happening to those mountains. and that's just to mine it. then it needs to be trucked off to a refinery. and then trucked off to a distributor. then trucked off to your house.

food for thought.

Latest posts

Back